• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Eight

I agree with 99.9% of your thoughts, but not sure I follow this line of thinking.

Pulling back an offense to fit a QB due to lack of arm strength or speed or whatever the reason would be, is a smart coaching move. 100%.

But I’m not sure that falls under developing a kid.

If SR stays here and in year 2(technically 3 as he got garbage time as a freshman, and assuming he puts the work in) he cuts his turnovers by 60-70% by teaching him how to better read defenses, but not adjusting game plan, then I’d say he helped develop the player.

If he decides to run the ball 75/25 to keep the decision making out of SR hands, I don’t think that’s developing him.

so how much is a staff developing players, how much is from mom and dad, and how much are the decisions of the kid?

i have always felt some programs get way too much credit for "developing" quarterbacks, running backs, etc... when you look at the talent they bring into the position.

how much can you improve the speed of quarterback processes the information they take in before the snap and immediately after the snap? how much can you truly improve hand and eye co-ordination? making decisions under pressure?

obviously the answer is some on all of these, but how much of the performance on the field a byproduct of putting a player in a position to succeed?

tying this back into the recruiting thread i have always felt a strength of patterson was he needed the basic skills, ability, and aptitude needed by players to be successful in his defense.

i would think the same would be for any quarterback sonny were to recruit and i do believe boykin and hill both improved under sonny.

Moose Stuff

Respectfully disagree concerning Hill. I think his improvement had more to do with the coaches pulling back the reins on him and turning him into mostly a game manager whose main priority was to avoid turnovers. I know it's a very touchy subject on here and people have very different opinions but that is mine.

I’m not sure you understand what you’re typing.

Moose Stuff

Not so much developed the player as much as dumbed down the offense more to protect said player from making critical mistakes. I don't think Hill's field vision, or instincts, or whatever you want to call those things that makes really good QBs really good, improved all that much from the game 1 until his career was finished.

I think initially the coaches had a lot of confidence in him and the game plans reflected that.....and it backfired because that confidence was mostly unwarranted. When they realized what they had, a QB that was very limited in the passing game and prone to big mistakes, and called games accordingly, his play "improved". But it had more to do with the coaches game planning around what he was capable of than him being a more capable QB.

If that's "developing" a player, yeah, I guess they developed him.

Kenny sure put up some impressive numbers for someone who was “very limited” in the passing game. Again, not sure you understand what you’re typing.

Wexahu

Kenny sure put up some impressive numbers for someone who was “very limited” in the passing game. Again, not sure you understand what you’re typing.

In 2014, Kenny's last year at A&M, he threw for 331 yds/game, a 67% completion %, and a 23/8 TD-INT ratio. In 2017 when he supposedly showed huge improvement, he threw for 242 yds/game, a 67% completion % and a 23/8 TD-INT ratio. His QB rating was higher in 2014 than it was 2017. That doesn't indicate much improvement to me.

In any event, regardless of the numbers, which can be very misleading at times, I never thought he improved much during the course of his career. For whatever reason.

flyfishingfrog

You could also give him almost all of the credit for getting these guys on campus, but that just me.
too bad GMFP is the one who says it's not the guys you miss on that hurt, it's the ones you get that don't work out that kill you...

So while I think Cumbie is great on the trail, if it never results in on the field performance - who cares.

Moose Stuff

too bad GMFP is the one who says it's not the guys you miss on that hurt, it's the ones you get that don't work out that kill you...

So while I think Cumbie is great on the trail, if it never results in on the field performance - who cares.

Fortunately for us it HAS resulted in on field performance more than it hasn’t.

Bob Sugar

Kinda jumping off the wrong ship at the wrong time but whatever. Next.

Does that mean Omar Manning is coming back!?!

giphy.gif

Eight

In 2014, Kenny's last year at A&M, he threw for 331 yds/game, a 67% completion %, and a 23/8 TD-INT ratio. In 2017 when he supposedly showed huge improvement, he threw for 242 yds/game, a 67% completion % and a 23/8 TD-INT ratio. His QB rating was higher in 2014 than it was 2017. That doesn't indicate much improvement to me.

In any event, regardless of the numbers, which can be very misleading at times, I never thought he improved much during the course of his career. For whatever reason.

interesting, hill piles up huge numbers in his first five games, begins to unravel against mississippi state and is benched after the bama game

here are his game by game ratings that season and see if you can pick out the games versus lamar, rice, and smu as well as the pattern when film was out on him and the competition improved

Wexahu

interesting, hill piles up huge numbers in his first five games, begins to unravel against mississippi state and is benched after the bama game

here are his game by game ratings that season and see if you can pick out the games versus lamar, rice, and smu as well as the pattern when film was out on him and the competition improved

I imagine if you did the same thing for KH in 2017, he piled up a lot of his stats against the crap teams we played.

Wexahu

KH's highest-rated games of 2017 were against Jackson State, SMU, Kansas, and 1-11 Baylor. In fact, those were his highest rated games by over 35 rating points. He threw 16 of his 23 TDs in those games. 7 TDs and 7INTs in the others.

Stats are so overrated sometimes.