• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

MTfrog5

Westwood is a beautiful place, but the traffic is abhorrent. plus he will always live in John Wooden's shadow....never gonna be good enough.
Yep. Stay here 20 years and get a statue or go there and just be another coach unless you win 5 plus national championships

netty2424

Rumors are that Noi wants to play Europe. Similar rumors about Bane. JD likely gone and recruits as well. This is a very "sky is falling" take but the future of the program isn't looking very bright.
I was going to post something about watching the transfer portal in the next few days. Should get interesting.

EDIT assuming CJD to UCLA is done.

jake102

Good luck Dixon and thanks for scheissing us over. Would have preferred hiring the long term coach three years ago, especially if Bane and Noi ditch and our recruits bail also.

flyfishingfrog

If JD wants to move on then fine, screw him. We need to move forward and nail this hire. We're about to see how good Donati is
If Dixon leaves and especially if he announces today I think it tells you something about ADJD already - and combined with what happened to get Schloss to get him to stay - it’s not overly positive

We went from locked in on 3 HoF coaches to potentially losing 1 or 2 in less than a year

MagicFrog

From what is going around this morning JD is gone. Maybe the rigors of playing in the Big 12 got to him. We don't always have the best team in the country, but from top to bottom I don't think there is another conference that is as strong as this one. When you factor in a double round robin schedule you have teams like TCU that are NCAA tournament quality that get left out. Maybe JD just isn't up for grueling schedules like that, and if we're honest the Pac-12 is a terrible basketball league so a good team can really clean up there.

JD, thanks for nothing. Thanks for taking this job and improving the team just enough to improve your marketability. Thanks for doing half the job then leaving us in a lurch after we've supported you almost unconditionally.

This probably sounds like sour grapes, and it is, but I hope he fails miserably there.

MAcFroggy

Can not fault Dixon for taking the UCLA job. That is one of the premier jobs in college basketball. I know he went to TCU, but he also grew up in southern California. The program is in much better shape than when he arrived. I appreciate everything he did for the program and hope the next coach can keep it going.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I would echo TIOT from up-thread: Dixon leaving would indeed be a disappointment. TCU is a special place, and just ditching after a short span to "move on up" is demoralizing to those of us who believed in Dixon as a TCU stalwart, someone who would honor his old school. If we are indeed merely a stepping-stone to him, then so be it. While I understand and appreciate all that the Bruin Guy had to say, and the simple fact that UCLA is, well, UCLA and all, it simply isn't what is once was. Like the old koan somebody had on his footer here some time ago, the river is not the same, and I am not the same.

The cold, dispassionate way of the world is that sports are a business. One cannot let thoughts be clouded by abstractions like loyalty, or fellowship. UCLA is offering several millions worth of good reasons to up-stick and head west. Could those millions be gained here in Fort Worth? Possibly. But they will most assuredly be gained in L.A. In three years, Dixon has a very good chance of being far better off financially than if he stayed.

The lesson of GMFP v. Fran stands out, though. One can, indeed, continue on to greener pastures. But, eventually the trail runs onto the desert* and there's no place left to go. Yet, if one had stayed put, seen the drama through, perseverance could well reward the patient grinder far more than the urgent leaper.

Eh. I don't know all the variables. Nor do I know much of the goals of the parties involved. I only know that I am not the youngster I once was, and that my goals have narrowed somewhat due to the strictures of reality. I am sure this is the case for others involved in this.

If he goes, I wish him well.

*Insert lyric from America here...

MTfrog5

I’ll put some of this on CDC by letting people courtside have tons of extra tickets that they sell. CDC did not help in building a home court and now Donati is doing everything possible to try and fix this.

berryfrog95

I’m not really that torn up about it for some reason. I think it stems on the transfer portal calamity this season and development issues we saw this year. That just can’t happen and Dixon is to blame despite many of you wanting to give him a pass.

Watching that game last night, something definitely seemed off and I think we know why now