• The KillerFrogs

FWST: What TCU coach Gary Patterson had to say about Shawn Robinson’s decision to transfer

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
What TCU coach Gary Patterson had to say about Shawn Robinson’s decision to transfer

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU coach Gary Patterson didn’t have much to say about Shawn Robinson’s decision to leave his program on Monday.

“That was his family’s decision,” Patterson said. “I wish him well. You want good to happen to everybody, but the bottom line is my job is to protect the kids that want to be here and this university. That’s as simple as it is.”

Patterson went on to say that he wasn’t informed of the decision by Robinson and his family. Instead, when Robinson made the decision, he told TCU’s co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie. Patterson was gone on a recruiting trip at the time.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article223290030.html

flyfishingfrog

Such a chicken [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] way to leave. I won’t go as far as to say I’ll root against this kid but I’ve got little respect for him.
Agree - if you want to leave, fine - but be man enough to tell the head coach face to face.

This, on top of a lot of the other stuff like how he reacted after making mistakes, his lack of presence as a leader after the got hurt and wasn't playing - make me feel more like this is probably a good thing in the end.

Moose Stuff

Agree - if you want to leave, fine - but be man enough to tell the head coach face to face.

This, on top of a lot of the other stuff like how he reacted after making mistakes, his lack of presence as a leader after the got hurt and wasn't playing - make me feel more like this is probably a good thing in the end.

I think you can take it to the bank that if you got Gary’s “off the record” opinion of this he would bury the kid.

flyfishingfrog

Who cares what coach he told? Cumbie is his position coach and I’m sure he interacted with Cumbie a lot more than GP.

If you quit your job, do you tell your manager or the CEO?

In a 100 person company - you tell the owner - and that is GMFP.

How people handle leaving a relationship, much like how they handle adversity - tells you more about a person than how they dealt with things when everything was going well.

Gary gave Shawn Robinson a lot of leash. He believed in him even when he was turning over the ball every other play and the team was working their arses off and TCU seemed to have the advantage.

He even let him come to media days which he never brings underclassmen usually.

Maybe start with Cumbie but meet with Patterson too. You're the starting QB which the head coach believed in.

Paint It Purple

Such a chicken [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] way to leave. I won’t go as far as to say I’ll root against this kid but I’ve got little respect for him.
Agree 100%. The telling phrase is "his family". We'll never really know, but the pattern is more than established here. You can't ignore their behavior over a 4-5 year period. Come on kid, be a man for once. Look GP in the eye and tell him. Then tell your folks too, that it's time to grow up.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Who cares what coach he told? Cumbie is his position coach and I’m sure he interacted with Cumbie a lot more than GP.

Depends on the organization and how it is run. Is the owner hands on and interacts? Is there a relationship? With GP I would say that is definitely the case. Be a man and go tell him. Plus this aint McDonalds and SR wasn’t just the fry cook.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
In a 100 person company - you tell the owner - and that is GMFP.

How people handle leaving a relationship, much like how they handle adversity - tells you more about a person than how they dealt with things when everything was going well.
Disagree. I would say it depends on levels and access. I left a company about that size not long ago. 3 managers between me and CEO. Rarely saw him due to his schedule.

I would have told SC, then expect to meet with GP when he was available.

flyfishingfrog

Disagree. I would say it depends on levels and access. I left a company about that size not long ago. 3 managers between me and CEO. Rarely saw him due to his schedule.

I would have told SC, then expect to meet with GP when he was available.
Guessing you were not the single most important position in the company then - but the starting QB on our football team is - and you do that face to face with the man who runs everything.

This isn't the assistant trainer deciding to pursue another major or even a walk on determining its time to focus on school and graduate.

It is the highest profile player in the highest profile position on our team - it is chicken [ Finebaum ] to leave without talking to the head man about it.

As has been discussed - not overly surprising given his past history I guess. I realize his mom is some hot commodity in coaching - but at some point as your build your success, loyalty to those that helped you become successful should mean something and chasing the paycheck stops being acceptable.

I would imagine a man like GMFP understands and believes that more than most given he is still here and not the HC at Big State U somewhere.

As I said - how you leave often tells me more about you then what you did while you were here.

CountryFrog

Football is not a corporate job so trying to make parallels there are useless. You don't run wind sprints in your job when you show up 30 seconds late but you do in football. I could list dozens of other examples. If you are going to make the parallel, though, GP is only one level removed from SC. The CEO in this would either be ADJD or Boschini, not GP.

That said, I won't judge the kid for not telling GP without having all the facts. Maybe he wanted to tell GP but could only find Cumbie and didn't want to just call or send a text. I don't know the full story. If he simply planned it all in a way to deliberately avoid telling Gary then that's telling imo, I just don't know for sure if that happened.

I will admit, though, that he most likely had an opportunity at some point to talk this over with GP. So I don't blame anyone who would make the assumption that he intentionally avoided it. When you're the starting QB, then you absolutely have a relationship with the HC. You should talk to him about it as he's certainly spent a lot of time over the last few years investing in your future.

HFrog1999

I bet if GP had wanted a chance to talk SR out of his decision, a meeting would’ve been arranged.

It doubt he’s really worried about it.

IMO, a player should always talk to his position coach first. That’s who he has the primary relationship with and it respects the chain of command.

So, Robinson's transfer was a decision made by his family? Wonder if he had anything to say

about it or does he simply respond to their every whim? Sounds like he fumbled that one too.