• The KillerFrogs

FWST: What TCU coach Gary Patterson had to say about Shawn Robinson’s decision to transfer

Limp Lizard

I think "family decision" says it all. Dealing with college athletes' families can be tougher than dealing with the athlete.

Unless his family moves to Missouri (not completely unexpected) the move may be better for him. Get him away from home. Some kits it hurts to move away, some it helps.

HToady

Who cares what coach he told? Cumbie is his position coach and I’m sure he interacted with Cumbie a lot more than GP.

If you quit your job, do you tell your manager or the CEO?
I guess so if you're an Engineer or Accountant, but leader of the team?

So next year when we are looking for a starting quarterback decision....we should ask Cumbie.

Eight

Disagree. I would say it depends on levels and access. I left a company about that size not long ago. 3 managers between me and CEO. Rarely saw him due to his schedule.

I would have told SC, then expect to meet with GP when he was available.

unless you work for a bank where titles only matter on business cards i think i see a problem with the business structure

Ron Swanson

I mean, I think we have to factor in that Gary was out of town. I don’t pretend to know all the details, but it sounds like he wanted to tell Gary but Gary wasn’t there, so he told his position coach (and really, the HC of the offense).

I doubt this is the kind of thing you can just sit on for a couple days and then wait for Gary to get back in town.

I’m not going to assume the kid is a a POS and root against him because of this, because I don’t have the full story.

It does sound like the kid is dealing with a helicopter dad and that’s a huge part of the reason he’s no longer a Horned Frog, and it helps explain the “best for both parties” line we were fed by Jeremy Clark the day the news broke.

kidkarr

It didn’t work out here for SR, but He seemed like a good kid. Don’t know any behind the scene stuff, but GP knew, maybe not where, but he knew he was gone. Just semantics at this point.
My .02 “Bleed purple or bleed out”.

kidkarr

I mean, I think we have to factor in that Gary was out of town. I don’t pretend to know all the details, but it sounds like he wanted to tell Gary but Gary wasn’t there, so he told his position coach (and really, the HC of the offense).

I doubt this is the kind of thing you can just sit on for a couple days and then wait for Gary to get back in town.

I’m not going to assume the kid is a a POS and root against him because of this, because I don’t have the full story.

It does sound like the kid is dealing with a helicopter dad and that’s a huge part of the reason he’s no longer a Horned Frog, and it helps explain the “best for both parties” line we were fed by Jeremy Clark the day the news broke.
This is where I’m at but you said it better than me.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Guessing you were not the single most important position in the company then - but the starting QB on our football team is - and you do that face to face with the man who runs everything.

As I said - how you leave often tells me more about you then what you did while you were here.

The single most important position in a company is the CEO. Football is a team sport. You can have an awesome QB, but without a good OL and receivers, production is limited.

I do not know all the details of this situation, so I am not going to judge him. Looks like he told SC. I assume SC told GP. If GP wanted to meet with SR about it he could have.

No need to be angry about it. Moving on.

CountryFrog

This is a good take. The only thing I would add is that this likely wasn't just a decision SR (and family) arrived at in a day. I can't imagine that this wasn't in the works for a while and during that time there was a chance to discuss things with the HC who gave him a scholarship.

As you said, though, we don't have the full story so I also withhold judgment on the kid.

smufrogger

Depends on the organization and how it is run. Is the owner hands on and interacts? Is there a relationship? With GP I would say that is definitely the case. Be a man and go tell him. Plus this aint McDonalds and SR wasn’t just the fry cook.
Within Gary being a defense coach- I’d give it a pass.
Clearly Shawn’s family is running Shawn’s life. This has all the markings of another Casey printers.

CountryFrog

What this story primarily tells me is the extent to which Cumbie is seen as the king of the Offense, and a HC2 to a larger extent than we know.
I don't know if it tells us that or not. This is a single instance with a single player. Doesn't mean that what you're saying isn't true, I'm just not reaching that conclusion based on this one event.

flyfishingfrog

The single most important position in a company is the CEO. Football is a team sport. You can have an awesome QB, but without a good OL and receivers, production is limited.

I do not know all the details of this situation, so I am not going to judge him. Looks like he told SC. I assume SC told GP. If GP wanted to meet with SR about it he could have.

No need to be angry about it. Moving on.
not angry - just stating it tells me a lot about his character that he was ok with telling Cumbie and then walking off.

GP has been in town a lot since he announced he was leaving - he had his chance if he wanted to really man up.

Why would GP go out of his way to talk to him once he had announced he was gone? As he said, GMFP is here for the guys that are playing for TCU, not the ones that decided they didn't want to anymore.

QB's are leaders on your squad - if you want to be the leader, act like it - don't punk out the backdoor while the boss is at lunch.

and by the way, if you think the CEO is the most important person in a company and how it performs - you have obviously not held senior positions in many companies.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
not angry - just stating it tells me a lot about his character that he was ok with telling Cumbie and then walking off.

GP has been in town a lot since he announced he was leaving - he had his chance if he wanted to really man up.

Why would GP go out of his way to talk to him once he had announced he was gone? As he said, GMFP is here for the guys that are playing for TCU, not the ones that decided they didn't want to anymore.

QB's are leaders on your squad - if you want to be the leader, act like it - don't punk out the backdoor while the boss is at lunch.

and by the way, if you think the CEO is the most important person in a company and how it performs - you have obviously not held senior positions in many companies.
Well, your posts are coming across as angry by the language you use.

And, you were discussing "single most important position in the company." To me, that is the CEO. If you want to discuss who is truly responsible for performance, that would be your front line people. The one's who can get the job done.

Relax doctor.

flyfishingfrog

Well, your posts are coming across as angry by the language you use.

And, you were discussing "single most important position in the company." To me, that is the CEO. If you want to discuss who is truly responsible for performance, that would be your front line people. The one's who can get the job done.

Relax doctor.
Nope - probably less sad to see him go then most

In his time here I thought he should raw talent but bad instincts and made a ton of mistakes he got away with at DeSoto because their team was just that much better than everyone else - something that isn’t true in the B12

So I am on moving on to find a guy that can and wants to lead - think we have 3 that fit that description at QB already and 2 of them have potential to be something special

flyfishingfrog

I bet if GP had wanted a chance to talk SR out of his decision, a meeting would’ve been arranged.

It doubt he’s really worried about it.

IMO, a player should always talk to his position coach first. That’s who he has the primary relationship with and it respects the chain of command.
No one said he should not have talked to a Cumbie first - but he should have talked to GP face to face, not make Cumbie deliver the message