• The KillerFrogs

FWST: What TCU coach Gary Patterson had to say about Shawn Robinson’s decision to transfer

MTfrog5

I mean, I think we have to factor in that Gary was out of town. I don’t pretend to know all the details, but it sounds like he wanted to tell Gary but Gary wasn’t there, so he told his position coach (and really, the HC of the offense).

I doubt this is the kind of thing you can just sit on for a couple days and then wait for Gary to get back in town.

I’m not going to assume the kid is a a POS and root against him because of this, because I don’t have the full story.

It does sound like the kid is dealing with a helicopter dad and that’s a huge part of the reason he’s no longer a Horned Frog, and it helps explain the “best for both parties” line we were fed by Jeremy Clark the day the news broke.
JC mentioned that SR and his family set up the meeting when they knew Patterson was out of town and that the dad runs the show. . I really want a player that the mom coaches to quit but only meet with the assistant. I'm going to assume she would not be happy about the player not coming to her and talking about it.

TemCatFrog71

Come on guys. Playing football at the college level is NOTHING like a corporate structure. I have done both and there is NO comparison in 'the chain of command". GP should have been the first university offical SR talked to, then SC if he was so inclined. This is a team ...there is no employee/employer relationship here. The rules of behavior ARE different. GP's statement that is was a family decision speaks volumns to me about SR's relationship with his family. I believe that to be an excellent first step for any decision that is that important to a young mans life and maybe even career.

Zubaz

I mean, I think we have to factor in that Gary was out of town. I don’t pretend to know all the details, but it sounds like he wanted to tell Gary but Gary wasn’t there, so he told his position coach (and really, the HC of the offense).

I doubt this is the kind of thing you can just sit on for a couple days and then wait for Gary to get back in town.

I’m not going to assume the kid is a a POS and root against him because of this, because I don’t have the full story.

It does sound like the kid is dealing with a helicopter dad and that’s a huge part of the reason he’s no longer a Horned Frog, and it helps explain the “best for both parties” line we were fed by Jeremy Clark the day the news broke.
But what am I supposed to do with my pitchfork now?

I agree here. It’s very, very difficult to hit the right balance between involvement and interference in a kid’s life as they mature. Often the answer is different for each kid in a family. I have limited information so I may be being unfair but it seems SR’s parents may be doing him no favors with their nomadic approach to his career, such as it is. If he is dealing with a helicopter parent(s) I feel sorry for him. I have a 30 year old nephew with a wife and child who has never mastered many basic adult skills and it’s a sad thing to see

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Come on guys. Playing football at the college level is NOTHING like a corporate structure. I have done both and there is NO comparison in 'the chain of command". GP should have been the first university offical SR talked to, then SC if he was so inclined. This is a team ...there is no employee/employer relationship here. The rules of behavior ARE different. GP's statement that is was a family decision speaks volumns to me about SR's relationship with his family. I believe that to be an excellent first step for any decision that is that important to a young mans life and maybe even career.
I think SR is loyal to SC first. Then GP second.

At my former company, I would jump through hoops for my boss because he treated me well and he is who I worked with day to day. IMO, here are similarities based on relationships created in a working environment.

notyalc

“I wish him well. You want good to happen to everybody, but the bottom line is my job is to protect the kids that want to be here and this university. That’s as simple as it is.”

What do we make out of this statement? Protecting kids who want to be here from SR? I guess a lot we may never know.

arlington

Cant believe this is a discussion. Of course he should have found a way to tell GP. The comparison to a CEO is ludicrous. Most folks wouldn't ID their CEO if he/she came up and bought them a beer. Im quite sure SR knew what Gary looked like. And even if Gary was out of town recruiting, Gary has a cell phone..He tweets...He accepts texts..Any of the above would constitute a better way to depart the program.

HFrog1999

This thread...

giphy.gif

FrogLifeYo

It’s unfortunate for us and SR that it didn’t work out. He’s a talented kid and we’ve invested 2 years in him...Hopefully his problems don’t follow him to Missouri. Unfortunately I have a feeling he could be related to them

stbrab

This is a good take. The only thing I would add is that this likely wasn't just a decision SR (and family) arrived at in a day. I can’t imagine that this wasn’t in the works for a while and during that time there was a chance to discuss things with the HC who gave him a scholarship.

As you said, though, we don't have the full story so I also withhold judgment on the kid.
I think it was in poor taste to not talk to Coach P. That being said, I don’t hold any ill will toward the young man. If he doesn’t want to be a Frog, don’t let the door hit him on the ass on the way out. I’m more interested in those young men that want to be Frogs.

MinFrog

I find it interesting that he has two parents who are coaches and they don't have the sack to tell the HC. To me, that tells me a lot about his 'coach' parents.

SR always seemed like a good kid, sounds like he is in a rock and hard place with his parents though.

Good luck to the kid. If he (or his parents) don't want him at TCU, so be it. Excited about the QB room we have. Go frogs.

Dman890

I think it was in poor taste to not talk to Coach P. That being said, I don’t hold any ill will toward the young man. If he doesn’t want to be a Frog, don’t let the door hit him on the ass on the way out. I’m more interested in those young men that want to be Frogs.

I don’t wish him ill will. But I also wouldn’t be sad if he (and his dad) got humbled a bit - e.g. he ends up at East Carolina

FinanceFrog

CGP handled this more maturely than i would. my statement would have been:

half way through the season we intercepted a DM on twitter that SR was talking to other schools. once we confronted him he coughed it up. my advice to him was that if he was transferring he might as well pick six to visit. playing college football is a great opportunity and you don’t want to fumble it away. hopefully he can turnover a new leaf at mizzou.