• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Ron Swanson

It's really hard to get this thru many, on this site, as they are so hung up on skilled position players only. A really well recruited and coached OL can turn a 3* into an apparent 4* looking QB or RB over night. The same on the DL... makes 3* LBs and DBs look like diamonds in the rough recruits when they show up bigger than expected on Saturdays.

P5 teams have little problem collecting adequate skilled players to make big plays. it's the trenches that is a struggle to achieve enough quality to finish in the top 10, which we've been able to do 6 times since 2007, not to mention 2 were Top 5 teams.
I rarely see anyone hung up on skill position players on here or 247. In fact, most on thsse sites basically shrug off any receiver or safety that commits and then say, “but what about the trenches?”.

Everyone knows that OL/DL/QB is where championships are won. Everyone.

TCURiggs

I was hoping TCU could pull in this TE. It's got to be the photos... Seems like Texas Tech got the memo and made the upgrades. ;):D

Now that I see that his handle is "iceman koontz," I'm less upset that we didn't get him

tenor.gif

Eight

For anyone interested in watching.....

Newton plays at 3:00 Thursday
Aledo plays at 7:00 Friday
Longview plays at 3:00 Saturday

All games on FSSW I believe.

longview is playing beaumont westbrook for the state title. i don't know much about wb other than gaines is an alum.

asleep003

I rarely see anyone hung up on skill position players on here or 247. In fact, most on thsse sites basically shrug off any receiver or safety that commits and then say, “but what about the trenches?”.

Everyone knows that OL/DL/QB is where championships are won. Everyone.

Are you Sure about that. Sure ? Could have fooled me. Maybe its my age....

Wexahu

I watched almost all of the Duncanville-Allen game last night and DV had a defensive tackle named De'Braylon Carroll who was a man amongst boys all night, virtually unblockable against obviously one of the best offenses in the state. The kid was a beast. Their coach said he's the best player on their team......listed at 6'0", 285 lbs. I look this morning and 247 has him ranked as the 3,254th best prospect in the country (.7853 rating) and the 462nd best prospect in Texas (as a Center no less). Offers from Air Force, Alabama A&M, Georgetown, Harding, and Navy. Meanwhile, their WR Beason (Illinois commit) is ranked the 14th best player in the Texas, and he looked like nothing special at all. Just a complete nonfactor, zero yards running and receiving.

Sometimes you just wonder what these "scouts" are watching. I'm sure they know a hell of a lot more than me but SMH. I guess Carroll must be undersized but he's a big boy and he gets after it. Kinda like a Russell Maryland type if anyone remembers him. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we'd take a flyer on that kid.

asleep003

Collins was a transfer in and has far less eligibility than the others..I know our pitch to him wasn’t that we wouldn’t recruit any other QBs

You did say wrong message to Max and JR. So its not a wrong message for JR... as different class. So I misinterpreted your share based on that and included Collins as one of the 3 legitimate QBs we look to as probable starters.

Plus I don't see Powel as a real threat to Max or JR/Collins... only a threat to players in other skilled positions. Though the staff I'm sure would give himself a shot at QB if he picks us. We want him at any position he is best for the team.

netty2424

I watched almost all of the Duncanville-Allen game last night and DV had a defensive tackle named De'Braylon Carroll who was a man amongst boys all night, virtually unblockable against obviously one of the best offenses in the state. The kid was a beast. Their coach said he's the best player on their team......listed at 6'0", 285 lbs. I look this morning and 247 has him ranked as the 3,254th best prospect in the country (.7853 rating) and the 462nd best prospect in Texas (as a Center no less). Offers from Air Force, Alabama A&M, Georgetown, Harding, and Navy. Meanwhile, their WR Beason (Illinois commit) is ranked the 14th best player in the Texas, and he looked like nothing special at all. Just a complete nonfactor, zero yards running and receiving.

Sometimes you just wonder what these "scouts" are watching. I'm sure they know a hell of a lot more than me but SMH. I guess Carroll must be undersized but he's a big boy and he gets after it. Kinda like a Russell Maryland type if anyone remembers him. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we'd take a flyer on that kid.
I’ve always wondered how these ratings are decided. Per my basic google search, it said over a million kids played high school football last year. For round numbers, divide by 4(fresh-senior), and that gives you quarter million per recruiting season to rank. How can any one website narrow down a top 100, 300, 500, or whatever arbitrary number and not grossly overrate a lot of kids and/or completely miss on others.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I’ve always wondered how these ratings are decided. Per my basic google search, it said over a million kids played high school football last year. For round numbers, divide by 4(fresh-senior), and that gives you quarter million per recruiting season to rank. How can any one website narrow down a top 100, 300, 500, or whatever arbitrary number and not grossly overrate a lot of kids and/or completely miss on others.
Take out every state north of oklahoma that isn’t on a Great Lake.

Latest posts