• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Here’s why you shouldn’t expect TCU’s Gary Patterson to make significant staff changes

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Here’s why you shouldn’t expect TCU’s Gary Patterson to make significant staff changes

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

TCU coach Gary Patterson didn’t sound like a man ready to make significant changes to his staff in the offseason.

The Horned Frogs have struggled offensively, scoring 28 or fewer points in eight consecutive games, and the defense had its worst performance of the season last Saturday at West Virginia.

But Patterson isn’t one to panic and didn’t give any indication of displeasure with co-offensive coordinator and play caller Sonny Cumbie, or anyone else on his staff.

Asked about changes in the offseason, Patterson’s first response: “Not people.”

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article221625830.html

Limp Lizard

‘How do you beat the teams that have always ended up at the top?’ Besides recruiting, how do you do the rest of it?”

Besides recruiting? If you want to be a Bama, Georgia, ND, tOSU, OU, LSU....you need at 3 of 5 classes in the top ten. No more of this purple glasses and saying "they were only rated high because Alabama got him." If we had landed 25% of the 4*/5* recruits we offered, we would never have to go through this kind of season if GP were the HC. At least the defense would be the best in the country every year.

One non-recruiting question would be to answer why our QB's take so long to develop whereas so many other schools can play true freshmen at a high level. Or at least they have a good offense year after year unless there is a glut of injuries. Like our defense, which is good every year despite turnover...that is coaching, but maybe there can be a way to change our coaching on offense without changing people.

This may have been the worst year for injuries, but so many years we have significant injury problems. Maybe it is just due to depth due to recruiting. Or as I have said, playing too tough an OOC schedule despite a lack of depth. I am tired of seeing us limp into the regular season and be even worse when conference starts.

Moose Stuff

Besides recruiting? If you want to be a Bama, Georgia, ND, tOSU, OU, LSU....you need at 3 of 5 classes in the top ten. No more of this purple glasses and saying "they were only rated high because Alabama got him." If we had landed 25% of the 4*/5* recruits we offered, we would never have to go through this kind of season if GP were the HC. At least the defense would be the best in the country every year.

One non-recruiting question would be to answer why our QB's take so long to develop whereas so many other schools can play true freshmen at a high level. Or at least they have a good offense year after year unless there is a glut of injuries. Like our defense, which is good every year despite turnover...that is coaching, but maybe there can be a way to change our coaching on offense without changing people.

This may have been the worst year for injuries, but so many years we have significant injury problems. Maybe it is just due to depth due to recruiting. Or as I have said, playing too tough an OOC schedule despite a lack of depth. I am tired of seeing us limp into the regular season and be even worse when conference starts.

Too tough of an OOC schedule????

PO Frog

I know they’ve been doing it for a while now, but I’m still a little shocked that FW Startelgram has gone almost exclusively to the Buzzfeed style headline. Sad that they can’t even clickbait right.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I know they’ve been doing it for a while now, but I’m still a little shocked that FW Startelgram has gone almost exclusively to the Buzzfeed style headline. Sad that they can’t even clickbait right.
Being new to the FWST, I am surprised that Drew Davidson feels confident enough and feels like he knows Gary Patterson well enough, to remark that he doesn't sound like a man ready to make staff changes.

If Drew would know anything about Gary Patterson, by now, he would know that GP doesn't show his hand and telegraph his moves.

Moose Stuff

Being new to the FWST, I am surprised that Drew Davidson feels confident enough and feels like he knows Gary Patterson well enough, to remark that he doesn't sound like a man ready to make staff changes.

If Drew would know anything about Gary Patterson, by now, he would know that GP doesn't show his hand and telegraph his moves.

Drew seems like a good guy trying his best..... he just isn’t very good.

Wexahu

Too tough of an OOC schedule????

And I'm not sure anyone got hurt in the OSU game anyway. The "getting beat up because of a tough schedule" thing is way overrated. Heck, a lot of our injuries seem to happen in practice and even non-contact drills.

Making fun of Baylor because they play a weak OOC schedule while simultaneously hoping we play a Baylor-like OOC schedule is a bad look.

flyfishingfrog

Wonder if we still track injuries that occur away vs home or turf vs grass

I know a few years ago it seemed like every time we played an opponent with turf, it seemed to be a blood bath

Big Frog II

Who even still has grass on our schedule besides us? OU and ISU?
Texas and CDC would like to go back to grass, but they had just installed new turf right before CDC got there. So when it's time to replace it, they most likely go back to grass if CDC is still there.

As far as coaching changes, we MUST get us a special team's coach. Our special teams are awful.

Limey Frog

Current conference media agreements all expire around 2022-23. Cable companies don't have the cash to pay what they paid in the inflated marketplace a decade ago. Major changes will occur, probably driven by online streaming and direct subscription options. There is surely at least some, probably a very high, likelihood that further conference realignment will occur as part of that process. Serious private discussions about the best options will begin in earnest by when--2020? 2021? That's very soon. No one owes TCU any favors; no legislature is looking out for our interests; no vast fanbase creates an economic reason to include us even though we suck. We have one argument in this conversation: competitive, compelling football that neutrals enjoy watching.

Sucking for three straight years could pose an existential threat to our entire athletics program. I don't think that's an overstatement, and I sure hope GP is thinking about it. Other programs can afford to suck for a while; we can't, at least not right now. If our problem is that half of our coaching staff doesn't really know how to coach a winning program every year, then that needs to change. Now.

YA

Current conference media agreements all expire around 2022-23. Cable companies don't have the cash to pay what they paid in the inflated marketplace a decade ago. Major changes will occur, probably driven by online streaming and direct subscription options. There is surely at least some, probably a very high, likelihood that further conference realignment will occur as part of that process. Serious private discussions about the best options will begin in earnest by when--2020? 2021? That's very soon. No one owes TCU any favors; no legislature is looking out for our interests; no vast fanbase creates an economic reason to include us even though we suck. We have one argument in this conversation: competitive, compelling football that neutrals enjoy watching.

Sucking for three straight years could pose an existential threat to our entire athletics program. I don't think that's an overstatement, and I sure hope GP is thinking about it. Other programs can afford to suck for a while; we can't, at least not right now. If our problem is that half of our coaching staff doesn't really know how to coach a winning program every year, then that needs to change. Now.
Good lord man, are you ever happy or is that just a British trait? So when you cut your wrists, please don't go side to side, you must go the length of the vein down the middle as it will be quicker for you.

Precisely what I dropped by to say.

Limey Frog

Good lord man, are you ever happy or is that just a British trait? So when you cut your wrists, please don't go side to side, you must go the length of the vein down the middle as it will be quicker for you.

Hasn't been much to be cheerful about this season, has there? Don't you worry about this? TCU athletics has been on the wrong side of a conference collapse three times in two decades. I hardly think it unreasonable to worry about it happening again.