• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 refs are pathetic

Realtorfrog

This crew is definitely the bottom of an already questionable group of officials. I can think of 4 calls that were bad without even trying.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Haven't watched my recording of the game but what did the announcers say about the targeting call reversal? From what I saw it was the definition of targeting. Took a 10-yard head start and launched into Turp leading with his helmet. Did replay show something different?

Yeah, then PI on us and non-PI on them, open field holding not called on them ...
refs were too busy looking at knee pads. Turrble.

netty2424

Haven't watched my recording of the game but what did the announcers say about the targeting call reversal? From what I saw it was the definition of targeting. Took a 10-yard head start and launched into Turp leading with his helmet. Did replay show something different?

Yeah, then PI on us and non-PI on them, open field holding not called on them ...
My DVR didn’t record last night. Someone’s got some splainin to do.

Ron Swanson

The announcers basically said that the explanation they were given was that it was not targeting because he was not by rule a defenseless receiver. They didn’t really give an opinion at first, more just stated it as “fact”, but then later in the game one of them brought it up and said they didn’t understand how that wasn’t targeting.

To me, it was absolutely targeting. It was textbook targeting. Whether or not Turp was defenseless is beside the point, no?

I could see maybe missing that in live action, but overturning a replay? Makes no sense to me and I’m curious to hear what the Big 12 says.

East Coast

Tier 1

The announcers thought it was obvious targeting until the call was reversed. Then they went into "borderline call", maybe not defenseless, etc. I think the refs just made a terrible call. It should have been "personal foul with targeting", as it was surely a personal foul. Then when the targeting was reversed, we still get the 15 yards. A "personal foul - targeting" means if the targeting is reversed, there is no foul.

Also, to be fair, the only difference with this crew and others on the knee pad stuff is they were announcing it. The other crews just send the player off and don't say anything, similar to what they do when a player's helmet comes off.

Pharm Frog

Also, to be fair, the only difference with this crew and others on the knee pad stuff is they were announcing it. The other crews just send the player off and don't say anything, similar to what they do when a player's helmet comes off.

Didn't see the game but I was kind of expecting this to be the case which is all the more reason to criticize this crew....they are the most intrusive, invasive species of zebras in the NCAA which might be somewhat forgiveable is they weren't so damn incompetent.

MadFrog

I heard the Big 12 told their refs their 2018 focus should be "knee pads". Clearly that is the only rule these refs (including the joke in the review booth) understand. The NCAA needs to drop the targeting rule and let the on field refs just call personal fouls WITHOUT a stupid booth review.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The announcers basically said that the explanation they were given was that it was not targeting because he was not by rule a defenseless receiver. They didn’t really give an opinion at first, more just stated it as “fact”, but then later in the game one of them brought it up and said they didn’t understand how that wasn’t targeting.

Didn't know the player had to be defenseless on the targeting rule – use of a defender's helmet and blows to the head. Nonsense. That was blatant targeting. Hopefully beyond the stitches hope Turp has no long-term effects.