• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Ohio St. Prediction Threads

Horny4TCU

Not sure what was up with who started at LB last night, thought there was huge depth there. Losing the DL will be huge.
The scenario over on their boards reminds me of Oklahoma in 2005 after they had played for a NC and had Heisman runner-up in Peterson. Their fans are much like those Sooners......yada yada about recruiting stars and such.....the same crap I have seen since 2001. TCU has not won all of "them" like this but they have won a bunch.

If the game is played straight up and there are no turnovers and penalties they probably win. I am worried about the middle of the TCU defense.........again. If TCU stops their run game, who knows. I do know I like the TCU QB this year much better than others. Dont think many OSU fans have watched much if any of TCU. I do think GP is still thinking about 2014 and the screw job we got and the gift they got......Then again they thought when Oklahoma showed up in Columbus last year it would be the cake walk they had in Norman. Watching Mayfield jam that flag in the middle of the field did not bother me a bit. So, I will be there and wont be surprised at whatever the result is.
If anything, the team should have sticker in the shape of buckeye on their helmets that says, "This is for 2014" And they need to wear it all week.

Buckeye

Buckeye fan here. I hope you all don’t mind that I joined to get another perspective. I won’t provide a prediction as that would be classless and I honestly have no clue how this will turnout. Our early non conference games are hard to predict. I can say I respect the heck out of Gary Patterson coached teams (especially defense) and TCU as a whole. It should be an interesting chess match all game and I am really looking forward to it. Unlike most fans, I could care less about recruiting stars, have watched TCU play for years (along with both games this year) and know how well TCU is coached. I am also aware and impressed with your team defensive speed.

I don’t have much to offer but will give a fair assessment of the strength and weaknesses of OSU thus far and our insecurities for the year.

Offense: OSU is at a crossroad. For the last six years , they have been a spread to run offense featuring a heavy dose of zone read plays and a running QB. This is typically Urban Meyer’s philosophy. Now, they have a non running passing QB, with experienced receivers and want to run tempo. I am not sure what to expect exactly, but suspect they will rely on the running game to protect an inexperienced QB, and take advantage of their size advantage on the line of scrimmage. Not sure how that will play out as Kevin Wilson(Play caller) likes to forget we have running backs. The chess match between Our offense and GP will be fun. I expect OSU to start slow as they will be unprepared for the defensive gameplan and new wrinkles in the first half.

Defense: I see this as a good but not great defense. First and foremost, our D-line is elite and has 3 or 4 future first round picks, but have been negated in the past with misdirection plays. We also have not played many opponents in the last 2 years with mobile QB’s. It will be interesting how that plays out. The secondary is dependable featuring quarters defense with heavy man to man defense on the outsides. 3 of the 4 starters are back.. We are breaking in a new safety and expect every offense to target that position. Now for our biggest weakness, LB. I could write a book about how poor their LB play is and why, but will spare you. They are young and athletic but constantly out of position and poorly coached. There are 2 new starters, possibly 3 depending on if the MLB returns fully from a torn achilles. They also shoulder a ton of responsibility as corners are playing man to man, and the DL attacking upfield every play. This has been going on for 12 months now and a large reason we lost to OU and Iowa last year. I have nightmares as to how bad the LB play has been. When (not if) you rip off a long run, or connect on a shallow cross or seam route, you might hear me screaming.

Buckeye

I should add, agree with all of you that the committee screwed up in 2014, even if my team did benefit. They should just go to an 8 team playoff with conference winner from each of power 6, plus 2 at large bids. That would help to take away some of the subjectivity. Of course, then everyone would argue about #9.

NewFrogFan

I should add, agree with all of you that the committee screwed up in 2014, even if my team did benefit. They should just go to an 8 team playoff with conference winner from each of power 6, plus 2 at large bids. That would help to take away some of the subjectivity. Of course, then everyone would argue about #9.

I still say do away with one of this first two weekend games against a team that gets beat by 30-70 points every year.
The narrative changes every year with CFP, in 2014 they told Big 12 they needed CG. Didn't matter that OSU lost to a MUCH worse team than TCU did. They said it was early in the season so it really does not count anymore. Then last year Alabama loses their last game......that has to count for something when it's not a CG. You should not lose your last game of the year and play for a NC. No one will ever be able to say what UCF could/could not do. Go to 16 teams, make the bowls bid to host every level of playoff games, keep the others as they are or let them go out of business like they do now. In the CFP, league championships can mean nothing or everything.....ESPN changes the direction as they need to every year.

Buckeye

Yep. I hear ya. I know there are logistic issues, but I would rather see the home team host the first round games. The on campus experience would be awesome, not too mention seeing an SEC team travel and play in the dead of winter to a cold location.

SwissArmyFrog

I said it in another thread. We looked average against SMU last year then man handled Ok St in Stillwater the next week.

Interesting to note that the same week we were average vs. SMU, Okie State absolutely destroyed Pittsburgh (in PA) in a demolition of the type not often seen. The next week, we beat them in OK. Later, of course, we lose to Iowa State.

You just never know, and one set of games doesn't predict a future game.

That said, I think Ohio State has the better chances - I think they are bigger, stronger, and a bit more experienced, overall, than we are.

But I still hope we crush them! :)

Last edited:

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Buckeye fan here. I hope you all don’t mind that I joined to get another perspective. I won’t provide a prediction as that would be classless and I honestly have no clue how this will turnout. Our early non conference games are hard to predict. I can say I respect the heck out of Gary Patterson coached teams (especially defense) and TCU as a whole. It should be an interesting chess match all game and I am really looking forward to it. Unlike most fans, I could care less about recruiting stars, have watched TCU play for years (along with both games this year) and know how well TCU is coached. I am also aware and impressed with your team defensive speed.

I don’t have much to offer but will give a fair assessment of the strength and weaknesses of OSU thus far and our insecurities for the year.

Offense: OSU is at a crossroad. For the last six years , they have been a spread to run offense featuring a heavy dose of zone read plays and a running QB. This is typically Urban Meyer’s philosophy. Now, they have a non running passing QB, with experienced receivers and want to run tempo. I am not sure what to expect exactly, but suspect they will rely on the running game to protect an inexperienced QB, and take advantage of their size advantage on the line of scrimmage. Not sure how that will play out as Kevin Wilson(Play caller) likes to forget we have running backs. The chess match between Our offense and GP will be fun. I expect OSU to start slow as they will be unprepared for the defensive gameplan and new wrinkles in the first half.

Defense: I see this as a good but not great defense. First and foremost, our D-line is elite and has 3 or 4 future first round picks, but have been negated in the past with misdirection plays. We also have not played many opponents in the last 2 years with mobile QB’s. It will be interesting how that plays out. The secondary is dependable featuring quarters defense with heavy man to man defense on the outsides. 3 of the 4 starters are back.. We are breaking in a new safety and expect every offense to target that position. Now for our biggest weakness, LB. I could write a book about how poor their LB play is and why, but will spare you. They are young and athletic but constantly out of position and poorly coached. There are 2 new starters, possibly 3 depending on if the MLB returns fully from a torn achilles. They also shoulder a ton of responsibility as corners are playing man to man, and the DL attacking upfield every play. This has been going on for 12 months now and a large reason we lost to OU and Iowa last year. I have nightmares as to how bad the LB play has been. When (not if) you rip off a long run, or connect on a shallow cross or seam route, you might hear me screaming.

EgZ6.gif

Welcome, should be a fun week.

Ron Swanson

I see a lot of potential in our team but I’m not sold yet. I think we have a punchers chance, but gun to my head, I’m taking the Buckeyes.

For us to win, Shawn needs to have a fantastic/accurate game and pick up key 1st downs with his legs. He doesn’t tuck and run and take the sure thing as often as he should.

If you have a 100% chance at getting 10 yards with your legs or a 50% chance at getting 20-25 yards with your arm, RUN IT!!! Always go get the sure thing and keep the chains moving.

Sometimes I feel like dual-threat QB’s want to prove they’re a passing QB first, so they often pass when they should just run it.

34-24 bad guys

Last edited:

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
for many reasons mentioned, I think TCU will lose by 10. They can win if Robinson completes 70 percent and some of those are deep balls but QB play has to get much better along with several other areas, namely leadership.

FrogLifeYo

Funny...I’m watching All these QB on Sat that take of running and slide before taking a hit....I’m still waiting for SR to do that..Even my 6 year old noticed it as we were flipping between OU/UCLA and Miss st/KSU...Kyler and Fitzgerald both were running all over the field and finishing with a slide..They also both threw balls away when needed...SR needs to trust in the “next” snap...

I think we can beat OSU but SR will need to play like a veteran to do it

Moose Stuff

Not sure what was up with who started at LB last night, thought there was huge depth there. Losing the DL will be huge.
The scenario over on their boards reminds me of Oklahoma in 2005 after they had played for a NC and had Heisman runner-up in Peterson. Their fans are much like those Sooners......yada yada about recruiting stars and such.....the same crap I have seen since 2001. TCU has not won all of "them" like this but they have won a bunch.

If the game is played straight up and there are no turnovers and penalties they probably win. I am worried about the middle of the TCU defense.........again. If TCU stops their run game, who knows. I do know I like the TCU QB this year much better than others. Dont think many OSU fans have watched much if any of TCU. I do think GP is still thinking about 2014 and the screw job we got and the gift they got......Then again they thought when Oklahoma showed up in Columbus last year it would be the cake walk they had in Norman. Watching Mayfield jam that flag in the middle of the field did not bother me a bit. So, I will be there and wont be surprised at whatever the result is.

We do have good LB depth, they’re just almost all undersized. Need Collier back (sounds like that’s happening) and Ty back to LB. Wouldn’t hurt if Wallow gained 15-20 lbs this offseason either. I’ve been impressed with Simpson and Ben Wilson in the very quick looks I’ve gotten so far this year. Simpson has been good on ST. Both have more prototypical size.

Moose Stuff

Funny...I’m watching All these QB on Sat that take of running and slide before taking a hit....I’m still waiting for SR to do that..Even my 6 year old noticed it as we were flipping between OU/UCLA and Miss st/KSU...Kyler and Fitzgerald both were running all over the field and finishing with a slide..They also both threw balls away when needed...SR needs to trust in the “next” snap...

Helps the “should I slide” decision making process when you sustain a gruesome injury the prior year (Fitzgerald) or sign a multimillion dollar contract to play another sport (Murray).

CountryFrog

We do have good LB depth, they’re just almost all undersized. Need Collier back (sounds like that’s happening) and Ty back to LB. Wouldn’t hurt if Wallow gained 15-20 lbs this offseason either. I’ve been impressed with Simpson and Ben Wilson in the very quick looks I’ve gotten so far this year. Simpson has been good on ST. Both have more prototypical size.
Can Wallow gain 15 lbs this week? There may be some doctors in Miami that specialize in that type of thing.

MinFrog

(One of the players this fella has nightmares about is Browning - not real comment, just thought I would point that out)

TX_Krötenechse

Keep in mind that Robinson is about to make his fourth start, while Fitzgerald and Murray are both more experienced. In Murray’s case, he’s also had to get used to sliding more because he was smaller than tacklers even in HS, while Robinson was big and strong enough to power through HS defenses.