• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Big-time lineman de-commits from TCU

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
No sodas in my diet anymore if I can help it. Very bad for your body. Just FYI.
source.gif

YA

The whole recruiting process sets a really bad precedent for these high school kids going forward.

Teaches them it’s fully okay and “respectable” to back out of a commitment whenever they feel like it. Sets them up to be a pretty [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty student, friend, employee, husband, father, etc...
Slight overreaction on the part of decommitting and that somehow that today's actions means he will later be a bad person to those around him

Zubaz

The whole recruiting process sets a really bad precedent for these high school kids going forward.

Teaches them it’s fully okay and “respectable” to back out of a commitment whenever they feel like it. Sets them up to be a pretty [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]ty student, friend, employee, husband, father, etc...
Meh, I think like @Wexahu said, a verbal "commitment" should really be called a "strong lean" or whatever. Pretty much everyone knows this, it's not like any coach is massively betrayed when a verbal flips. We're asking these 17 year old kids to make anywhere from a 3 to 5 year commitment (barring a transfer that costs them a year). If they change their mind along the way, that's their perogative.

Where the recruitment process really fails the kids is it tells them that they are superstars before they ever do anything of note. See that other article on Daylon Mack, who showed up to A&M lazy and out of shape, and has yet to live up to his recruiting expectations. He very well could leave A&M with little to show for it beyond a useless trademark.

tcumaniac

Meh, I think like @Wexahu said, a verbal "commitment" should really be called a "strong lean" or whatever. Pretty much everyone knows this, it's not like any coach is massively betrayed when a verbal flips. We're asking these 17 year old kids to make anywhere from a 3 to 5 year commitment (barring a transfer that costs them a year). If they change their mind along the way, that's their perogative.

Where the recruitment process really fails the kids is it tells them that they are superstars before they ever do anything of note. See that other article on Daylon Mack, who showed up to A&M lazy and out of shape, and has yet to live up to his recruiting expectations. He very well could leave A&M with little to show for it beyond a useless trademark.
You forgot about all the $$$ aggy paid his parents.

tcumaniac

Slight overreaction on the part of decommitting and that somehow that today's actions means he will later be a bad person to those around him

I just like being emotional and dramatic when someone decommits. Makes me feel better.

For some their word is their bond. However, there will always be those who seem to relish the attention and notoriety

of being pursued and will often tend to vacillate.

Froglaw

My legal assistant's daughter accepted a Volleyball scholarship to a school in West Virginia.

Later, a Texas school made her an offer and she wanted to de-commit.

She asked my opinion. I told her that it was not fair to take an offered scholarship and then switch to another school. Not for the original school's sake, but for the other student who did not get offered the scholarship she accepted.

If you want to look around or you are not sure, don't commit to a school. It's just not fair to everybody involved in the process including yourself.

However, I do understand how things can change in a 17 year old child's mind. But at 17 you need to start becoming a man.

I hope this young man does not regret his decision.

TCU will fill this scholarship with a talented football player.