• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

FrogLifeYo

Why did they play OU twice?

2012 & 2013 CAL
2014 & 2015 Virginia Tech
2016 & 2017 OU

We can debate his motives but Urban is very smart. He knows a game in Jerry World, just like has significant recruiting implications for him. The home and home against OU was a battle for recruiting perception with TX kids. He is running through the TX recruiting trail at an unprecedented level right now. The reality is both TCU and OSU have more to gain in recruiting from playing this game than either do in public perception...

FrogLifeYo

They schedule a little different because they can afford to. When you're regularly reeling in Top 5 recruiting classes a) you know chances are you're going to win the game no matter who you play, b) you don't worry about how a loss could affect the momentum of your program for the future and c) a win enhances CFP positioning. It's as simple as that. OSU will be in the conversation nationally no matter what. TCU will as long as we keep winning a lot of games on a regular basis.

Personally, I think GP had a change of heart in terms of how he wants to schedule after the LSU game. That game kind of took the wind out of our sails right out of the gate and we end up 4-8, and we weren't that bad a team. We just have to go about it with a little more caution than some.
I still maintain that this game is about recruiting TX kids only...It’s the same reason Bama and FSU came to Arlington last year.

MinFrog

This isn't wrong, but it sure is dumb to me. I wish a ranking system could be created that put a real, tangible value on schedule strength, but it's wishful thinking. Coaches love those automatic wins.

If losing by 10 points to Alabama would improve your ranking much more than a 30-point win over Louisiana-Monroe would (which it should) we'd instantly see a massive adjustment in scheduling strategies overnight.
I agree it is dumb. But getting people like Condi in a room and expect them to understand the nuances of losing to bama by 10 is better than beating SMU by 40 isn't the real world.

I would love for the heavy weights to duke it out and not be scared of losing a close game. sign me up.

FrogLifeYo

Cause they can lose to Va Tech and still make the playoffs. TCU doesn't have that same margin of error.
Sure but there will be No real loser in this one..

OSU loss...Pollsters will forget
TCU loss...Underdogs got beat by a top 5 team

Winner .... Recruiting - both teams will have significant targets at the game and many will commit within 10 days afterwards..

TCU wins for a number of reasons 1. Exposure and 2. GP will know his team will be prepared for Big 12 title run. Do we run the risk of a collapse such a someone suggested happened after LSU? Sure, but one could argue we had many more question marks going into that one.

Wexahu

Cause they can lose to Va Tech and still make the playoffs. TCU doesn't have that same margin of error.

Sure we do if we'd go 12-1 and win the B12 Championship game. Now that we have the CG, we can lose any game on our schedule except that one. Just can't lose twice.

SuperBarrFrog

I agree it is dumb. But getting people like Condi in a room and expect them to understand the nuances of losing to bama by 10 is better than beating SMU by 40 isn't the real world.

I would love for the heavy weights to duke it out and not be scared of losing a close game. sign me up.

I’m pretty sure Condi has the mental fortitude to figure that out. Not only is she likely way smarter than any of us, she also grew up in Birmingham so pretty sure she knows the value of a close loss to Bama.

SuperBarrFrog

Yeah but she’s a woman!!!
79f054bb4726c52393ea1ba7a625e054.jpg