• The KillerFrogs

TCU v. Syracuse Basketball NCAA Tourney Game Thread

Wexahu

I couldn’t sleep. This stings so much and it will for awhile for me. Cuse is good but this was a game the Frogs lost more than the Orange won. So many missed shots at the rim plus open threes that were bricked. We didn’t rebound like we can.

Tough loss.

I don't think we got many good looks from 3-point range at all. Other than a couple that Noi knocked down early I thought almost all of them were taken a little bit out of rhythm or a little bit out of the shooter's range. That zone is a tricky thing to solve. They are good at it and they always seem to have a bunch of long-armed kids that make it even more effective.

Ugly, ugly game but that's not all that surprising. It's kind of what Syracuse does.

Last edited:

tetonfrog

It was a disappointing finish to a good year.

First, the Frogs lost a close one to KSU in the Big 12 tourney and then the ugly loss to Cuse last night. We played their game and couldn't make the winning plays down the stretch. It was painful to watch us play offense last night at times. Yes, the Orange zone is tough, but TCU struggled with basic things like passing, catching and rebounding.......again. But on the flip side, our defense was strong and kept us in the game.

I understand the "we've made progress and we're happy" crowd and they are right. The Frogs accomplished so many firsts this year that they have been and should be applauded more for a successful season But this team should have won last night and should be getting ready for MSU. Simple as that.

I am disappointed that we didn't get more tourney experience this year and feel bad that Kenrich and Vlad ended their career last night. They have done so much for TCU basketball and they deserved a chance to play in the Sweet 16. Hopefully, Noi, Miller, Arob and Jaylen can take us further next year.

The future is bright: we have a great coach, fan interest is high and we have some exciting players coming back next year. Hopefully, they will get us that elusive NCAA tourney win. Go Frogs!

PurpleBlood87

We just went from 4 conference wins over a few years to winning the NIT then getting a 6 seed in the tourney. Syracuse is still Syracuse and we accomplished this primarily from guys in the Trent Johnson era.

Next season will be tough replacing Brod, Robinson, and especially Kenrich, but I think we could get back in with a good offseason of development for the younger guys.

Robinson is back. But he'll be backing up Fisher next season.

SuperTFrog

This may have been covered already, but could your hear the TCU chants on TV last night. I was in a relatively rowdy bunch and felt like we were making some decent noise for the numbers we had (probably around 400 total).

Was really proud to sing the alma mater with the Frog faithful last night after the game. Most had really good perspective on what this game meant, even though it was an extremely frustrating loss.

Dogfrog

Robinson is a great athlete. Except for the size and shooting ability he is a poor man’s Ginobili IMO. Very active, great penetrator, and keeps everybody involved.

The challenge for a coach is how to use him. Going into the tournament he was ranked 20th nationally in assists but 164th in assist / turnover ratio.

Fisher needs to be the point guard. However, Robinson needs to play but they need to find him some kind of hybrid role that plays to his strengths.

MTfrog5

I don't think we got many good looks from 3-point range at all. Other than a couple that Noi knocked down early I thought almost all of them were taken a little bit out of rhythm or a little bit out of the shooter's range. That zone is a tricky thing to solve. They are good at it and they always seem to have a bunch of long-armed kids that make it even more effective.

Ugly, ugly game but that's not all that surprising. It's kind of what Syracuse does.
A 16 seed beat a 1

MTfrog5

I know, and I couldn’t believe it. Especially the way they got beat. Never thought it would happen in my lifetime to be honest.
Thought it was pretty funny to happen just a couple days after you said it would let happen. Teams are getting better and better at these smaller schools due to transfers and such but to beat Virginia by 20 is nuts. 19-1 in the ACC for nothing

Rose Bowl

I don’t think it was all the Cuse defense that made us miss those shots. They play a very good zone but it didn’t seem like we had confidence we could make those shots for whatever reason. The guys played hard but couldn’t make the winning plays at the end.

BTW my group had a blast at the game. The energy of the crowd was great last night.

helcap

I didn't call you out on it. I just said that it's not crazy to think the team might be able to win a couple games. I mean, UMBC just won a game so why is it not possible that TCU could? I wasn't even making any predictions about what WOULD happen, just saying that it's crazy to think we CAN'T win a couple games. I still feel that way. Just because we didn't doesn't mean it was always impossible the whole time.

I understand the team has played sloppy all year, but it's not like Syracuse just won their last two games by playing clean, flawless basketball. We've been sloppy all year and still won 21 games. You can win sloppy because lots of other teams play sloppy and inconsistent like we do.

I'm just saying that to act like everyone on here who's disappointed in, what was not just a sloppy game, but a dreadful offensive performance is not totally insane. I'm not shocked we lost and I'm not even super disappointed about the loss personally. But I wouldn't blame anyone who watched that game last night and came away immensely frustrated and disappointed with the way the team played.

I think we would've lost to Michigan St tomorrow anyway and I think next year's team is going to be better than this year's team. But that doesn't mean people have no right to be disappointed or frustrated at what was probably our worst offensive game of the year.

The difference is you can be a lot "sloppier" and get away with it in a game where the final scores are in the 80's as opposed to one in the 50's. Every point you give away is more significant

Ron Swanson

We couldn’t get good looks from 3

We were either open 5 feet behind the line (where we clearly weren’t confident in our ability to knock it down) or pressured immediately when closer to the line.

The Syracuse zone did a great job of taking away our strength.

Big Frog II

We need better free throw shooting next year. In the Big 12 and in the tournament with so many close game, making free throws becomes even more important.

Wexahu

Thought it was pretty funny to happen just a couple days after you said it would let happen. Teams are getting better and better at these smaller schools due to transfers and such but to beat Virginia by 20 is nuts. 19-1 in the ACC for nothing

For sure, when I saw the score I laughed and thought, couldn't this have happened at least a year or two down the road so my comment maybe would've been forgotten by then! I guess I'm supposed to say it was because UVA's best player was hurt, right?

I still can't believe it. A blowout. Who'd have thunk it.

Wexahu

I don’t think it was all the Cuse defense that made us miss those shots. They play a very good zone but it didn’t seem like we had confidence we could make those shots for whatever reason. The guys played hard but couldn’t make the winning plays at the end.

BTW my group had a blast at the game. The energy of the crowd was great last night.

I think the fact that it looked like we lacked confidence speaks to the way Cuse plays defense. It's their M.O. They take you out of your game and cause hesitation and lack of confidence. They basically jack up your timing and flow.

It's easier said than done, but the way to beat them is to push the ball hard off defensive rebounds and get your better looks in transition. I'm sure that's what we wanted to do but you almost have to force it. They weren't going to hurt us in transition going the other way so quick misses early in the shot clock weren't going to hurt us like they normally would. Once you let them set up on D it's tough.