• The KillerFrogs

TCU v. Syracuse Basketball NCAA Tourney Game Thread

MTfrog5

Our whole team struggled with free throws save for Vlad, singling our Robinson is kinda dumb. All in all, he’s a pretty solid player.

We lacked an inside defensive enforcer and a pure shooter/scorer from the wing, and the loss of Fisher was hard to overcome. Having that one guy that can break down his defender and get a good look one-on-one is critical, especially now with a 30-second clock. We didn’t really have that. Hopefully we keep getting a little better every year.
I disagree that he the point guard shouldn’t be held to a higher standard on free throws. Guards are traditionally better free throw shooters. If he is better than it seems with turnovers, then you want him on the floor late in the game to run the offense and limit turnovers. Unfortunately he’s a liability as a free throw shooter at 57% even though he’s the best option we have at ball handling and running the offense. So yes I think it’s a joke that a starting PG shoots 57% from the line. Wex I bet you could even walk to your nearest court and shoot 50% in your work clothes.

Wexahu

I disagree that he the point guard shouldn’t be held to a higher standard on free throws. Guards are traditionally better free throw shooters. If he is better than it seems with turnovers, then you want him on the floor late in the game to run the offense and limit turnovers. Unfortunately he’s a liability as a free throw shooter at 57% even though he’s the best option we have at ball handling and running the offense. So yes I think it’s a joke that a starting PG shoots 57% from the line. Wex I bet you could even walk to your nearest court and shoot 50% in your work clothes.

I'm just trying to deflect a little of the blame from AR specifically. Noi goes up there and nonchalantly just throws the ball up, almost as if he wants to get it over with. KW dang near throws up an airball friday night. Miller's arms and legs are moving all over the place when he shoots, just terrible terrible FT form. Hamby looks like he's about to have a root canal when he steps to the line.

Plenty of blame to go around.

MTfrog5

I'm just trying to deflect a little of the blame from AR specifically. Noi goes up there and nonchalantly just throws the ball up, almost as if he wants to get it over with. KW dang near throws up an airball friday night. Miller's arms and legs are moving all over the place when he shoots, just terrible terrible FT form. Hamby looks like he's about to have a root canal when he steps to the line.

And none of those guys you would want handling the ball late in the game except maybe Williams in an emergency situation. And don’t get me started with Miller. That goes back to the personnel issue for Dixon against the zone. He was the what some call the slider moving on the backside of the zone. Ideally you would like a good free throw shooter because if he drives to the hoop there is a good chance he’s getting fouled. Miller did a good job forcing contact I will say but when you only get one point on a possession that’s a win for Cuse. I agree that there is plenty of blame, but no way should a starting PG shoot 57%. Is Fisher was healthy, Robinson would be on the bench late in games.

Last edited:

FrogLifeYo

Next season, can we hold playing Fisher until at least conference play?

I would like to know how it is to have Fisher healthy at the end of the season.

We really missed him down the stretch..He and AR on the court together in the last 10 minutes of the Cuse game would have really put a lot of pressure on that Zone

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

Why can’t you spell Hamdy?

Tom Brown

FWIW you'll hear basketball experts mention arob's FT% but ive never heard any state anything less than praise on his ballhandling, passing, decision-making.
I think those detractors are only frogfans, that take any turnover personally.

Dogfrog

FWIW you'll hear basketball experts mention arob's FT% but ive never heard any state anything less than praise on his ballhandling, passing, decision-making.
I think those detractors are only frogfans, that take any turnover personally.

I love AR but how do you respond to his national assist rank at 18 (elite), but down at 156 in assist / TO rati0? (Not elite) His 101 turnovers is elite but not in the right way. Again this is not a knock on AR just points out we need to learn how to maximize his talents.

Tom Brown

I love AR but how do you respond to his national assist rank at 18 (elite), but down at 156 in assist / TO rati0? (Not elite) His 101 turnovers is elite but not in the right way. Again this is not a knock on AR just points out we need to learn how to maximize his talents.

I referenced his conference ranks earlier
He's in the top 5 or 10 in 1 of the top 2 conferences.

He' prolly be higher if he played in the mvc or somesuch.

Dogfrog

I referenced his conference ranks earlier
He's in the top 5 or 10 in 1 of the top 2 conferences.

He' prolly be higher if he played in the mvc or somesuch.

No look at the national rankings. Baylor guard Lindsey is top 20, Graham is 32 for example. AR is 156. Same type numbers last year. His turnovers are very high.

Edit: Consider that with 190 assists (great) and ranked 18th, it takes an inordinate number of turnovers (101) to drive your A/TO ratio down to a 156 ranking. Again I think he is great, he just often lets his motor drive him into bad situations. Wouldn’t trade him for anybody.

Last edited:

Sebastian S

As a pure point guard(distributing the ball), Robinson is the best we have on the team.

Fisher is not as good but is a better shooter and probably defender when he does not get in foul trouble.

Our offense works better with Robinson at point guard.

Dogfrog

As a pure point guard(distributing the ball), Robinson is the best we have on the team.

Fisher is not as good but is a better shooter and probably defender when he does not get in foul trouble.

Our offense works better with Robinson at point guard.

Alex is great but I want the ball in Fishers hands in critical situations due to lower turnovers and FT shooting.

Jackson

Dogfrog I find your stats quite interesting and believe of TURNOVER piece of the equation is more directly attributed to the skill/talent of the individual. The assists number is high as a result of TCU averaging 82ppg. I understand a point guard obviously plays a significant role in that 82 but many other factors do too....offensive rebounding etc.

LVH

Fact of the matter is we got beat by the 2-3 zone.

It's a lot like the triple option in football. When teams like Air Force and Navy play within conference they are playing against teams who have seen it year in and year out and know how to defend it. But when they play outside of conference they tend to play better(see Air Force vs. Michigan last year, Navy vs. Virginia)

Syracuse is making another tournament run on the back of their 2-3 zone despite having played poorly in ACC play. Michigan State suffered the same fate we did.

We play Baylor every year, a team who plays mostly zone but their zone isn't the same as Syracuse's.

Sebastian S

I do believe a part of it was playing that zone defense for the first time but we have been in a slump shooting the ball our last 4+ games. We weren't beating anyone if we kept that up. Seemed like it started in the Kansas State game at home, which we still won despite shooting so bad.

Take our season average and we had the team that could beat that Syracuse zone, a good shooting team from 3pt.

Haven’t kept up with this thread but is someone saying ARob is not a good player? Alex is a good player and those thinking we’re better w/out him is crazy. He’s a very competent college PG.

One thing he isn’t is better than Fisher. When healthy his game is more well rounded. My complaint is he hasn’t stayed injury free which has left the team in a bind.

With both healthy next year we will be strong at the position. Already can’t wait to see how the team looks.

Dogfrog

Dogfrog I find your stats quite interesting and believe of TURNOVER piece of the equation is more directly attributed to the skill/talent of the individual. The assists number is high as a result of TCU averaging 82ppg. I understand a point guard obviously plays a significant role in that 82 but many other factors do too....offensive rebounding etc.

No AR creates many of his assists off his ability to penetrate. He is an elite penetrator and very good finisher. But the same motor that makes him a great penetrator also gets him caught inside against giants with no place to go. I love an active player like Alex. His constant motion is infectious and keeps teammates involved. IMO he would be a great Ginobili type sixth man minus the three point ability.

Sebastian S

With both healthy next year we will be strong at the position. Already can’t wait to see how the team looks.

I think our offense runs better with Robinson as the true PG.

Our team does not seem to flow as well with Robinson and Fisher on the court. It's been discussed here before.

I think Fisher and Robinson need to find their true role when they are on the court together.

Robinson is very nimble and I think he is the best we have in maneuvering their way to the basket, it's also a reason why we get turnovers.