• The KillerFrogs

Mike Leach on the CFP

FrogLifeYo

I suppose conference champ auto bids couldn't co-exist with conference championship games that allow for a team to catch lightning in a bottle. Still think 6 teams is the way to go with some kind of written preference for each P5 conference to have representation. Maybe a caveat that says if a conference champ has more that 2 losses they are ineligible for an auto bid.

Limey Frog

Whether he was right or not is irrelevant to the point I was making.

But since you brought it up, Ohio State beating Alabama and Oregon no more proves they were better than TCU than it proves they were better than the New England Patriots.

I didn't say that it did prove that Ohio State was better than TCU. I said that it proved that they deserved to be in. Your objection was that Herbie was lobbying hard for tOSU, my response was to imply that his doing so was hardly unjustified or unreasonable. That TCU deserved a shot too I agree, but that is a separate matter--the one Leach was addressing.

Limey Frog

Whether he was right or not is irrelevant to the point I was making.

But since you brought it up, Ohio State beating Alabama and Oregon no more proves they were better than TCU than it proves they were better than the New England Patriots.

I didn't say that it did prove that Ohio State was better than TCU. I said that it proved that they deserved to be in. Your objection was that Herbie was lobbying hard for tOSU, my response was to imply that his doing so was hardly unjustified or unreasonable. That TCU deserved a shot too I agree, but that is a separate matter--the one Leach was addressing.

Frog-in-law1995

I wasn’t objecting to anything. I was answering the question about what TCU fans were holding against Herbie.

Wexahu

I wasn’t objecting to anything. I was answering the question about what TCU fans were holding against Herbie.

Have you ever thought that maybe TCU wasn't quite as good as our rankings suggested? Is it even possible for someone else to believe that and not be considered an anti-TCU a-hole? Heck, I thought we were overrated the whole first half of the 2015 season. We maintained a Top 5 ranking through about the 8th week of the season even though anyone who watches football and has a brain could've seen we weren't one of the best 5 teams. Half our defense was hurt for gods sake and we were down to playing 200 lb safety converts at linebacker. It took a miracle or three for us to only lose two games and sneak into the Top 10.

I watched every play of the game Saturday. I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone determined at this point in time that a #4 ranking might be a bit high at this point. A couple weeks earlier things might've been different. Things change because more games are played and people have more information at their disposal. Big freaking deal if "Herbie" has us a #4 one week and we drop out of the Top 4 the next.

It's so dumb that supposedly the litmus test for how good an analyst is is what they think of TCU and how much they talk up TCU. Somebody that really really knows their stuff might not be as high on TCU as someone else. That wouldn't be unreasonable. Who cares?

Dogfrog

I can't decide if p5 auto-bids would be better than the current setup. I like that it negates SEC-B10-ND possible committe bias, but my fear would be that everyone would adopt the Baylor model of ham-wallet OOC scheduling.

That’s the point. OOC has nothing to do with conference championships. Putting conference champions in as auto qualifiers would allow schools to schedule real attractive OOC. Produces revenue, produces TV viewers, and no longer has anything to do with the playoff picture. Would some schools continue to schedule patsies? Yes but their fans would be pissed.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Have you ever thought that maybe TCU wasn't quite as good as our rankings suggested? Is it even possible for someone else to believe that and not be considered an anti-TCU a-hole? Heck, I thought we were overrated the whole first half of the 2015 season. We maintained a Top 5 ranking through about the 8th week of the season even though anyone who watches football and has a brain could've seen we weren't one of the best 5 teams. Half our defense was hurt for gods sake and we were down to playing 200 lb safety converts at linebacker. It took a miracle or three for us to only lose two games and sneak into the Top 10.

I watched every play of the game Saturday. I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone determined at this point in time that a #4 ranking might be a bit high at this point. A couple weeks earlier things might've been different. Things change because more games are played and people have more information at their disposal. Big freaking deal if "Herbie" has us a #4 one week and we drop out of the Top 4 the next.

It's so dumb that supposedly the litmus test for how good an analyst is is what they think of TCU and how much they talk up TCU. Somebody that really really knows their stuff might not be as high on TCU as someone else. That wouldn't be unreasonable. Who cares?
Kirk Herbstreit confirmed.

Seriously we need a much bigger playoff! Leach is correct. I think we could all make it without the lower division body bag games in out of conference. Drop to one or two games max some conferences play four we play three of these.

Never forget where TCU came from we were in small conference hell! Give the G5 a shot too! 16 game playoff minimum with play in games first rounds at home fields then move the 16 games to bowls! San Diego state should get a shot! Navy! South Florida! UCF too! Sure they might play Bama as 16 seed, but they get a shot! Gaining two weeks of season is great need more start a week sooner! The money would help small conference teams!

I also like the idea of relegation down to G5 and upgrade to P5 like English Premiere League! Really help doormats to step it up instead of just getting money for nothing like Baylor!!

Limey Frog

Fair enough. I just don't think that's anything to hold against him. He was right. That was my point. What he said was tOSU deserved to be in; they did. We did too, but I don't remember him singling out TCU as deserving exclusion. There just are only four spots.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Seriously we need a much bigger playoff! Leach is correct. I think we could all make it without the lower division body bag games in out of conference. Drop to one or two games max some conferences play four we play three of these.

Never forget where TCU came from we were in small conference hell! Give the G5 a shot too! 16 game playoff minimum with play in games first rounds at home fields then move the 16 games to bowls! San Diego state should get a shot! Navy! South Florida! UCF too! Sure they might play Bama as 16 seed, but they get a shot! Gaining two weeks of season is great need more start a week sooner! The money would help small conference teams!

I also like the idea of relegation down to G5 and upgrade to P5 like English Premiere League! Really help doormats to step it up instead of just getting money for nothing like Baylor!!

Every week in December is too valuable, weeks can't be wasted on non-competitive games just to give a bunch of G5's "a shot" every year just to say they had a shot (when in reality they don't). This isn't basketball where you have 15 member squads and 2 hour games that can be played in back-to-back days. It's cute that the 16th seed plays the #1 seed in March Madness but they've never actually won a game so they are essentially a waste of time. Time can't be wasted like that in football.

Frog-in-law1995

Direct this at the people who think less of Herbie for 2014.

hiphopfroggy

I'm not so sure about Pedo st, they already got passed up last year. Im about 95% certain the Sandausky story would come up and that is no bueno for the B1G or anybody really. Plus they are overrated.

Frog-in-law1995

The Top-whatever should be determined by the quality of play, not the patch on your jersey. Conference auto-bids are ridiculous.

You can think of a conference as just “a patch on your jersey,” or you can view it as a 10- to 14-team season-long playoff for a spot in the championship tournament. It’s totally fair. Everyone (in the P5) starts off the season with a chance.

Dogfrog

Agreed. It would be unlikely, but entirely possible, to have a 4 loss team make the playoff.

So what? When everybody knows going into the season that a conference championship gets you in the playoff there are no excuses. The conference champion deserves in no matter their record.

Last edited: