Mike Leach on the CFP

jake102

If the below happens, who gets in?

Bama -- undefeated
Clemson -- undefeated
Penn St/Wisconsin/Ohio St/Michigan -- one loss for one of them
Washington -- one loss
TCU -- one loss

Obviously in all situations the one loss is not in the CCG.

zfrawg

16 is just way too many. 32 would be totally ridiculous. For me 8 is the sweet spot but 4 is better than 16. I'm not as sold on the auto bids for the P5 champs as some people but that would be ok, 5 guaranteed spots plus 3 at-large.

College football has the best regular season in sports because the outcome of every game is critical. Expand it too much and the only really important games down the stretch would involve teams that don't really have much chance of winning it all anyway, those teams in the 10-20 range. I like the idea of the National Champion being determined by what happens throughout the season and not just how they do in a 3 or 4 game playoff. It's cool that the first game of the year carries almost as much weight as the last couple games of the season, that's what makes the sport great.

unless you lose at home to a terrible VT team, but not gonna go there :)

netty2424

16 is just way too many. 32 would be totally ridiculous. For me 8 is the sweet spot but 4 is better than 16. I'm not as sold on the auto bids for the P5 champs as some people but that would be ok, 5 guaranteed spots plus 3 at-large.

College football has the best regular season in sports because the outcome of every game is critical. Expand it too much and the only really important games down the stretch would involve teams that don't really have much chance of winning it all anyway, those teams in the 10-20 range. I like the idea of the National Champion being determined by what happens throughout the season and not just how they do in a 3 or 4 game playoff. It's cool that the first game of the year carries almost as much weight as the last couple games of the season, that's what makes the sport great.
Yah I'd probably agree with that I guess. There's probably a bigger separation between 16-8 then there is between 8-1.

Maybe have 8 teams in with a 4 team wild card to earn the 7 & 8 spot. There's probably an argument to be made for 7-10 in that range so let them play for it. You'd grab an additional set of games with high implication, win or go home, while your 1-6 earn a bye week of sorts.

Wexahu

When the Big10 misses the playoff, then we will see a push for 8. Not before then.

I, for one, would love to see Notre Dame* get in at the expense of a B1G team. Delaney's head would explode, and it would be a glorious sight. That's the only way we will see 8 teams.

*Disclaimer: my personal opinion is that only conference champs should be considered for the CFP. Want in, ND? Join a conference.

I agree with everything except your disclaimer and I'd throw the SEC in there as well with the Big 10. As soon as one of those two conferences gets left out, that's when the push to expand to 8 will accelerate quickly.

Dogfrog

In one of the espn shows, Herb admitted the Big 12 has a leg up on OSU because of their loss to OU

1 loss OU > 1 loss OSU
Undefeated TCU > 1 loss OSU

A 1 loss TCU vs a 1 loss OSU is more intriguing

this morning he said a one loss OU had the advantage over one loss Ohio State. Didn’t hear him say that extended to the entire B12. Other panelists stated the OU loss hurts TCU’s chances without specifying under what conditions.

Wexahu

Bama -- undefeated
Clemson -- undefeated
Washington -- one loss
TCU -- one loss

Bama
Clemson
TCU
Big 10

That'd be my guess. They'd be hesitant to put Washington in again because there was at least some controversy that they got in last year and they didn't impress in the semifinal game. UW might get in over OSU based on that same logic, OSU won't be given the benefit of the doubt again because they have a couple times and they got blown out in the semis last year. I think all that would play into it to a degree.

Westsider

Everyone's ignoring the fact that dead week and finals take place at one time or another during your proposed expanded playoff period. Unlike high school or even Divisions II or III, it matters. These guys have to have the same opportunity to study as other students have.

Sebastian S

this morning he said a one loss OU had the advantage over one loss Ohio State. Didn’t hear him say that extended to the entire B12. Other panelists stated the OU loss hurts TCU’s chances without specifying under what conditions.
I think it was discussing a 1 loss big 12 team, be it OU, OSU or TCU vs a 1 loss tOSU

You are correct though, that was probably the same segment I watched.

Sebastian S

Washington or the Pac 12 in general will have the strength of schedule problem

Notre Dame just needs to lose more to not make it even more complicated.

Wexahu

Yah I'd probably agree with that I guess. There's probably a bigger separation between 16-8 then there is between 8-1.

Maybe have 8 teams in with a 4 team wild card to earn the 7 & 8 spot. There's probably an argument to be made for 7-10 in that range so let them play for it. You'd grab an additional set of games with high implication, win or go home, while your 1-6 earn a bye week of sorts.

Whatever they do they need a structure that puts a ton of emphasis on the regular season because a hugely important 3-month regular season is what makes college football great......and they need to have at-large spots available because without them OOC games would have no importance.

Very few people care about college basketball form December-February because the playoff field is too big. The big Kentucky-UCLA, Kansas-Michigan State, and Duke-North Carolina matchups have virtually no significance is determining anything, they are basically glorified exhibitions. All of those teams make the tournament every year almost no matter what because they can lose 10-12 games and still make it.

netty2424

Whatever they do they need a structure that puts a ton of emphasis on the regular season because a hugely important 3-month regular season is what makes college football great......and they need to have at-large spots available because without them OOC games would have no importance.

Very few people care about college basketball form December-February because the playoff field is too big. The big Kentucky-UCLA, Kansas-Michigan State, and Duke-North Carolina matchups have virtually no significance is determining anything, they are basically glorified exhibitions. All of those teams make the tournament every year almost no matter what because they can lose 10-12 games and still make it.
Disagree with "very few people", every sport has their core fans and their post season fans. That said, March Madness is what makes college basketball great. That tournament is what makes that league so great. And when the dust settles, you have a true champion and you'll never hear a story or read a headline that so and so team got screwed out of a championship. If you beat the field, you're a champion.

Yes football is tougher to play more games, I get it. But if your league, whatever sport it is, wants to crown a champion, playa tournament that includes a field that offers opportunity to win it all. That argument can be made virtually every year in college football outside of the 4 spot. 4 is a step in the right direction, but it's a joke really.

hometown frog

Is it because the bracket is so big or because the regular season is 50 games or so? I continue to say football regular season is so popular because there are only 12 games in a regular season. I don’t think a playoff of 8-16 teams would change that fact.

Frog-in-law1995

Well, they did end up winning the whole thing in pretty convincing fashion. Could it possibly be that he was just right? Or is that not possible since he went to Ohio State. If Ohio State really does have the best team is he allowed to say so?

I don't really care who he thinks is good or who he thinks isn't good, that's just an opinion and everyone has one and is entitled to it. He's very good at what he does, much better than other guys in his position.

They did win it all, remember? The deserved a spot. The injustice wasn't their being in, but there not being enough spots for every team that did.

Whether he was right or not is irrelevant to the point I was making.

But since you brought it up, Ohio State beating Alabama and Oregon no more proves they were better than TCU than it proves they were better than the New England Patriots.

Dogfrog

You have enough playoff spots to accommodate all conference champions. Conference champions go to the playoff, no whining and no BS, no talking heads convoluted and political pretzel logic. Win your conference or stay home. Conference championships are what make the regular season exciting.

Wexahu

Is it because the bracket is so big or because the regular season is 50 games or so? I continue to say football regular season is so popular because there are only 12 games in a regular season. I don’t think a playoff of 8-16 teams would change that fact.

I think it's a little of both, but if they expand the NFL playoffs again, their regular season is going to lose a bit of luster. The outcome of every college football game involving teams in the Top 15-20 in the country is important and has huge playoff implications. I think that's what makes the sport what it is, it has the most compelling regular season in sports by far.

Yes, people pay attention and watch other sports during their regular seasons, but sometimes I wonder why, because the outcome of the games doesn't really determine much.

DelFrog

Unlike high school or even Divisions II or III, it matters. These guys have to have the same opportunity to study as other students have.

It matters just as much and very likely even more, in the FCS, DII and DIII programs and yet they manage to cope with a 24 team playoff.

A four school CFP is ridiculously too small and no amount of rationalization can change that fact. 8 or 12 (with the Top 4 getting byes) is a much better number.

LisaLT

I think it depends on WHO theses teams lose to

Bama -- undefeated
Clemson -- undefeated
Washington -- one loss
TCU -- one loss

I think it would depend on who they lose to. If you lose to a ranked opponent, that is better than losing to an Iowa State for instance.