• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

Punter1

Just FYI...went to Black's in Lockhart a couple of months ago and it really wasn't very good. Maybe caught them on an off day, but it did not deserve its legend status.

No it doesn't. My office is 10 mins from Lockhart and I don't think any of the 4 in Lockhart are that great. I think Salt Lick is overrated as is Louie Mueller in Taylor and the Luling spots as well.

The best place I think in the Austin area is Milt's in Kyle. And Le Barbeque...its a food truck with ridiculous brisket. Plus Coppers just opened a spot in downtown Austin and it's just like Llano in terms of quality.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Back to Heims, I wanna go & support them. Sending a check to the charity is easy. Important question is when can I go to Heims w/o the obligatory hour wait? Any local advice?

YA

No it doesn't. My office is 10 mins from Lockhart and I don't think any of the 4 in Lockhart are that great. I think Salt Lick is overrated as is Louie Mueller in Taylor and the Luling spots as well.

The best place I think in the Austin area is Milt's in Kyle. And Le Barbeque...its a food truck with ridiculous brisket. Plus Coppers just opened a spot in downtown Austin and it's just like Llano in terms of quality.
I honestly think you just like to stir the pot with your comments

OmniscienceFrog

Years ago when Stubbs first came to Austin from Lubbock my boss took a group of us to eat there. Boss grew up in Lubbock and was raving about the food. They had opened up in the restaurant of one of the dive hotels on the east side of I 35 just north of the UT campus. Might have been the old Ramada Inn or by where Starseeds Cafe is located. Food at Stubbs was very good, but later that week the health department closed them due to a bug problem tied to the hotel.

Didn't bother me, but I had taken my then fiancee' (now wife) so I got to hear about that for a bit, but to this day I do subscribe to the rule of the dingier it is the better it is when it comes to BBQ and Tex Mex.
Then you need to go to House Park BBQ in Austin. "Need no teef to eat my beef!"

Last edited:

OmniscienceFrog

Love what Heims is doing re. the Baylor issue. Also love their brisket, very, very good. So is their mashed potato creation. Not so good, the burnt ends, which turned out to be 98% fat, and their cole slaw, dry and almost all cabbage. We'll keep going occasionally, now that we know what not to order, but Angelo's remains #1.
Perfect example of differrent strokes for different folks. Angelo's was the best around 40-50 years ago, but now it's just about the most bland BBQ I've had over the past 20 years or so. Tried it again about two years ago, for the last time.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Of course you can disagree with me.

However its not time in the office I have been spending, its time at Blacks in Lockhart, Millers in Belton, etc. Living down here in Salado has put me closer to the cathedrals of BBQ and as much as it pains me to admit it, Angelos and Cousins don't hold a candle to some of these places

Wes, as a Salado dweller, don't you feel you may owe the board a full and extensive review of the fare at the newly reopened Stagecoach Inn.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Anybody here try Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX.? Saw something on TV about it a few months ago. Been around for 50 years in the hill country SW of Austin and is very popular. The wait is often for hours to get in. They go through over a million pounds of brisket a year.

A new 10.000 sq ft place is to open in Grapevine in late 2018. A couple of little shops in the airport, but not all that good from what I have read. Hopefully this new Grapevine one will be as good as the ones by Austin and will make the drive unnecessary.
I can see people giving different report on this place. They served"family style" when I last went, and the first meat dishes were to write home about, but when refills were later brought out, it was pedestrian (as if rushed in the pit to the table).

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Interesting on Coopers opening a spot in Austin. Some of the best brisket I have ever had came off those pits. I think the big three in Lockhart have fallen off a bit as they seem to be focused more on how much they turn out and who is suing who.

Son ate at Catt;eack today and said it was solid. Not quite at level of Pecan Lodge, but good.

Westover it was The Rig.
If you ate at The Rig I'm surprised you're alive.

Good lord what a dump.

I feel for y'all having to eat BBQ anywhere in Texas. I am guessing the absolute worst BBQ anywhere in Texas is hands down better than anything passing for BBQ up here.

Used to go to someplace in Pfugerville that was wonderful. But then you can pretty much pull into any hole in the wall place in Texas and find decent BBQ.
Tucson here. Ditto. Airport BBQ at DFW is better than Tucson.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I feel your pain. There are pockets of good BBQ around the country but this is the largest concentration of great brisket, ribs, etc, in the world, right here in good old TX.

By the way, I did find a better than decent BBQ in Melbourne, Australia last year. He had come to TX and studied with one of the masters, then came back to Melbourne and started a business. Took him some time to find the right wood but for Aussie BBQ, it aint bad.

Roo ribs, wombat brisket, mmmmmm!