• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

Brog

Love what Heims is doing re. the Baylor issue. Also love their brisket, very, very good. So is their mashed potato creation. Not so good, the burnt ends, which turned out to be 98% fat, and their cole slaw, dry and almost all cabbage. We'll keep going occasionally, now that we know what not to order, but Angelo's remains #1.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Did they serve cat?

It wasn't on the menu.

At least the english version.

Might could whip something up for a special request I reckon.

j4I7DPR.jpg

zWDLuT2.jpg

mcdaddy

I don't know why Ya, but for some reason the Railhead of The Rig seems to stick with me about the BBQ whose ribs did me in and that is the only thing that stuck to me on or in me after that experience.

For BBQ in the area it in the past couple of years Pecan Lodge (2-3 times), Hard Eight (2x), some place of NW Hwy near our son's apartment, some BBQ in Highland Park near Bubba's (Bakers I think), Angelo's, and a couple of places in Plano near our son's office. I am sure I am missing some places, but I have never eaten in BBQ in Metroplex area where the brisket matched some of the places in CenTex or Corkscrew. Felt like a couple of those places were trying to serve cuisine and not BBQ.

See, chips, salsa, and queso are bar food and not a reason why I would pick a Tex Mex place. Akin to picking a restaurant because of the appetizers. I will do that when going somewhere to have a beer or watch a game, but if I am eating I want foods. Each to their own though.
Loved Bakers Ribs when I lived over there--really enjoyed their brisket.

Support Heim's.

[Baylor asshoe].

Mean Purple

Lockhart BBQ and Pecan Lodge are pretty decent Dallas places. Oddly enough the best BBQ that I found in Houston was at Rudy's but I may not have been looking in the right places.

CenTex is full of great places. Louie Muellers in Taylor, Millers in Belton, Terry Blacks in Austin, Paynes BBQ Shak in Burnet and of course the legacy places in Lockhart are off the charts good.

Sad to say it but they make places like Angelos, Railhead and Cousins look amateurish
The cup makes Railhead worth it.

Also, avoid Uncle Dan's in Waco. It was good bbq years ago, now not so much.

Better yet...Just avoid Waco.

I go to Risky's on Camp Bowie fairly often as a group of fellow football officials meet there for lunch once a week to spread rumors and tell stories. It isn't great, but has grown on me. Not the best, but I have had a lot worse.

InstaFrog

Lockhart BBQ and Pecan Lodge are pretty decent Dallas places. Oddly enough the best BBQ that I found in Houston was at Rudy's but I may not have been looking in the right places.

CenTex is full of great places. Louie Muellers in Taylor, Millers in Belton, Terry Blacks in Austin, Paynes BBQ Shak in Burnet and of course the legacy places in Lockhart are off the charts good.

Sad to say it but they make places like Angelos, Railhead and Cousins look amateurish
Limited sampling (Railhead, Cousins in FW) but Terry Blacks in Austin is still the brisket standard that I judge others against. Heim is definitely on my list for next time.

Ron Swanson

Ron tells the truth about Salt Lick. It has gotten a bunch of press and they don't have that counter culture feel of some of the food truck parks in Austin, but the meat is very solid and if you know to bring your own beer and ready for the wait not a bad experience. I will say I have never had any barbecue worth an hours wait. Truth be told I have never had food worth that long a wait. Reason I won't go to Killan's and I won't go to Franklin's in Austin. Too many places in this state that serve above average to very good barbecue that doesn't require half my day, but maybe I am becoming a grumpy old man.
I got to Killen's on a Tuesday at about 11:20 for lunch and was eating by 11:50

There was a line, but not terrible.

I'm sure if you go on a Friday or Saturday it's way worse, but if you want to get it without the extreme wait, it's doable.

InstaFrog

A lot of people like to complain about Salt Lick, saying it's a tourist trap serving mediocre BBQ and only getting by on its name and atmosphere.

I loved it, thought it was a great place with very good meat. We had to wait a while, but if I recall, it was BYOB, so we just sat around and drank beer and played yard games.
Heard of a popular BBQ place in Lubbock with long lines, but they serve you free beer while you wait! Second-hand information, as I have never been there myself because, well, its in Lubbock.

MAcFroggy

Ron tells the truth about Salt Lick. It has gotten a bunch of press and they don't have that counter culture feel of some of the food truck parks in Austin, but the meat is very solid and if you know to bring your own beer and ready for the wait not a bad experience. I will say I have never had any barbecue worth an hours wait. Truth be told I have never had food worth that long a wait. Reason I won't go to Killan's and I won't go to Franklin's in Austin. Too many places in this state that serve above average to very good barbecue that doesn't require half my day, but maybe I am becoming a grumpy old man.

I think Salt Lick is great. The BBQ is great and the sides are good too. Maybe I am in the minority but I do not mind waiting for a meal at all. Depending on who I am with, I usually just head to the bar and grab a pre-dinner cocktail with my wife, friends, or family. A place like the Salt Lick that is BYOB and has a great outdoor area is even better. I understand waiting two hours for dinner would suck, but waiting an hour for a good meal is perfectly okay with me.

westoverhillbilly

Sickest I ever got off BBQ was in college at TCU and we went and ate at some place BBQ place with all you can eat ribs. Greasiest damn things I have ever eaten and they wreaked havoc of my digestive system the next day.

I bet you went to "The Rig" which had that all you can eat plate for decades until they recently closed- on IH 35 just south of IH 20.. their ribs were fall off the bone but had no smoke in them.. It was mainly a cheap steakhouse with select cut (the lowest) steaks where you could get a sirloin steak, potato and salad for under $6 at lunch.. it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either..

The Lockhart Smokehouse guy in Dallas is distantly related the the Smitty/Kreuz family.. Interestingly, both that Smitty/Kreuz clan and the Black relatives have sued each other in recent years..