• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth Regional discussion

flyfishingfrog

Wait, so are we bad again, unless the opposing team implodes and walks in runs?

giphy.gif
yeah that is exactly what I said.....no - but while this weekend was an amazing success, it was largely due to some of the best pitching performances of the year from our starters. If that continues, we will have a chance against anyone in the country. Giving up 1 run through 8 tends to keep you in a lot of games (see 2014)

But anyone acting like some other great transformation occurred in our defense or hitting was probably too busy wooing and not really paying attention - we had some good hits, not a ton of them in a row but thanks to walks we had guys on base for a bunch of them, we made some good defensive plays and probably made a bad one for each to balance it out, and ran ourselves into and out of innings just like normal.

Although I will admit seeing the donut gone of Josh is a beautiful site and having the bullpen give him the ovation the next inning was pretty funny - hoping he hits from the right side more in the future.

f_399

This has already been a memorable post-season, let's keep on keepin' on!

Maybe one day we can look back in humor:

"Remember back in 2017 when we had that horrible team that rowed their way through a monsoon to win the CWS......."

ftwfrog

I'll admit I'm trying to sweat out some alcohol this morning, but from the last few pages it's a bit clear that some of us will always have a negative look on anything and be scared of any opponent.

We scored 9,5 and 15 runs. That's amazing and if we do that this next weekend we'll be in Omaha.

"Yeah but the other pitchers walked us."
-Well, no [ Finebaum ], so you want us to swing at those pitches? Good hitters have great eyes.

"Yeah but we didn't do much against the starting pitcher and had to wait to get into the other teams bullpen."
-Yes. That's called baseball. Good teams do that. Like flyfish pointed out we stayed alive with a lot of guys fighting off two strike pitches. Some great, long at-bats from Sunday night.

"Yeah but we didn't hit many home runs."
-Frankly, I'm more impressed with situational hitting, execution and capitalizing on another team's mistakes more than I am back-to-back home runs.

The frogs might win the series and Missouri State might embarrass us Saturday and Sunday (that's the way baseball go) but our team is playing the way we want them to. So enjoy the ulcers, pill-popping and irregular heart beats this weekend folks.

yeah that is exactly what I said.....no - but while this weekend was an amazing success, it was largely due to some of the best pitching performances of the year from our starters. If that continues, we will have a chance against anyone in the country. Giving up 1 run through 8 tends to keep you in a lot of games (see 2014)

But anyone acting like some other great transformation occurred in our defense or hitting was probably too busy wooing and not really paying attention - we had some good hits, not a ton of them in a row but thanks to walks we had guys on base for a bunch of them, we made some good defensive plays and probably made a bad one for each to balance it out, and ran ourselves into and out of innings just like normal.

Although I will admit seeing the donut gone of Josh is a beautiful site and having the bullpen give him the ovation the next inning was pretty funny - hoping he hits from the right side more in the future.
Has it occurred to you that when a batter walks he does not get a hit?

flyfishingfrog

Has it occurred to you that when a batter walks he does not get a hit?
really - wow, that changes everything.

No [ Finebaum ] - has it occurred to you to research the basis behind Pharm's point across this season in particular?

The premise that most of our loses came in games where we did not walk a lot?

Basically, this year we have replaced a lot more of those "non-walk" AB with outs, particularly strike outs vs hits like last year. Most obvious demonstration of this principle is that our team BA is lower but it doesn't tell the story alone.

You could start by looking at our back to back hit levels or the two hits in 3 AB ratio for this year vs last year? Percentage wise, they are down more than our overall team batting average and probably the reason why Schloss has played with the order more this year than most.

ifrog

I'll admit I'm trying to sweat out some alcohol this morning, but from the last few pages it's a bit clear that some of us will always have a negative look on anything and be scared of any opponent.

We scored 9,5 and 15 runs. That's amazing and if we do that this next weekend we'll be in Omaha.

"Yeah but the other pitchers walked us."
-Well, no poo poo, so you want us to swing at those pitches? Good hitters have great eyes.

"Yeah but we didn't do much against the starting pitcher and had to wait to get into the other teams bullpen."
-Yes. That's called baseball. Good teams do that. Like flyfish pointed out we stayed alive with a lot of guys fighting off two strike pitches. Some great, long at-bats from Sunday night.

"Yeah but we didn't hit many home runs."
-Frankly, I'm more impressed with situational hitting, execution and capitalizing on another team's mistakes more than I am back-to-back home runs.

The frogs might win the series and Missouri State might embarrass us Saturday and Sunday (that's the way baseball go) but our team is playing the way we want them to. So enjoy the ulcers, pill-popping and irregular heart beats this weekend folks.

Its all Kenny Hills fault.

really - wow, that changes everything.

No poo poo - has it occurred to you to research the basis behind Pharm's point across this season in particular?

The premise that most of our loses came in games where we did not walk a lot?

Basically, this year we have replaced a lot more of those "non-walk" AB with outs, particularly strike outs vs hits like last year. Most obvious demonstration of this principle is that our team BA is lower but it doesn't tell the story alone.

You could start by looking at our back to back hit levels or the two hits in 3 AB ratio for this year vs last year? Percentage wise, they are down more than our overall team batting average and probably the reason why Schloss has played with the order more this year than most.
Yeah there is no question the team is not hitting as well as they have the last two years in particular. I was speaking to your specific point about the DBU game. But continue to make your case that we should not enjoy what is happening because disaster looms on the horizon. And no doubt the satisfaction you get from saying I told you so will be sweet

flyfishingfrog

Not just playable...it was darn near perfect.
it was amazing how good of shape it was in - other than about 3 plays in all the games I watched you could not even tell it had rained.

A lot better than a few years ago when our right fielder did a mud slide as soon as he hit the warning track.

They deserved the applause last night.

flyfishingfrog

Yeah there is no question the team is not hitting as well as they have the last two years in particular. I was speaking to your specific point about the DBU game. But continue to make your case that we should not enjoy what is happening because disaster looms on the horizon. And no doubt the satisfaction you get from saying I told you so will be sweet
If you point was we didn't hit well in the DBU game because we didn't have the chance - that is a fair statement.

And to expand on that, we actually hit better than normal if you take into account how few opps we had to really execute given how bad their pitching was - but of course that bad pitching also made hitting a little easier when they did throw strikes I imagine.

But I hope we win it all and you guys can dance all you want - I have had my hotel in Omaha booked since I left last year just like I do every year we go and I hope I don't have to check out early (well maybe a day because we won 2 straight to end it).

Just because I am wiling to discuss where we are kicking ass and where we need to do better doesn't make me a person that wants the team to lose.

Purp

If any other school did the woo, I guarantee everyone on here would be talking about how bush league it is, how obnoxious, etc. Now we can be lumped in with arkie and aggy!
If I wasn't present at Lupton 3 years ago when the wooooooo first happened I might agree with you. If the wooooooo hadn't been effective I might also agree with you.

But after a full day of tailgating in the late May/early June heat and about 2/3 of the way into a 22 inning game when it's well after midnight you become a special kind of delirious. At that point ordinarily stupid things become fantastic. And the fact that it clearly rattled pitchers from day 1 and has remained effective since establishes it as a justifiable Lupton tradition, IMO.

Sure, visiting fans who are offended by it won't know the back story and probably won't care. But I don't care what they think. Really, it's too bad they can't have similar moments with their programs to have similar traditions. I know the story and I know it was a spontaneous creation that swept everyone at Lupton within a single inning so that's all that matters to me. It's more than some doofus bringing a bubble machine and a bunch of other half-wit adults thinking it was a good idea and calling it a tradition.

Purp

Starters were amazing, even Brian settled in after a little rough first two innings - that was what won this regional

Feldman looked good after his normal 2 high fastball start both nights and we never really had to see if our BP is ready or not because of the starters

The rest looked the same really

Wymer was encouraging but he had the luxury of no pressure and just throwing hard and over the plate to challenge the batters to make contact - maybe he need that approach all the time but during the season he was trying to hit the edges and struggled at times with it

Offensively we looked basically like we always do until we got to a depleted pitching staff - if you want to read some great awakening in our bats from a win where we had 13 runs on 7 hits at one point and more walks that hits for most of the game - feel free and I hope you are right.

But both games yesterday showed why you want to avoid the losers bracket - DBU dominated UVA because they had no pitching and then we returned the favor to DBU

MSU looks a lot like us - so it will be a challenge. They have good starters, a true ace (something we didn't face in regionals) and they are super patient at the plate - plus on paper they hit better than we do.

So we are gonna need all the good to keep flowing this weekend.
On paper DBU hit better than we do too. I'm not saying I expect Mizzery State to be terrible, but we saw three teams in our regional with better offensive numbers than us and I think it says a lot about who they played relative to who we played.

You're right that it's foolhardy to think we're suddenly the best offense of the 16 remaining teams after all those walks and HBP this weekend. But we've been getting walks all season and at some point you have to start giving credit to the offense for working walks, getting guys on base, and getting timely hits/contact in order to drive them home. It's not something new.

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
If I wasn't present at Lupton 3 years ago when the wooooooo first happened I might agree with you. If the wooooooo hadn't been effective I might also agree with you.

But after a full day of tailgating in the late May/early June heat and about 2/3 of the way into a 22 inning game when it's well after midnight you become a special kind of delirious. At that point ordinarily stupid things become fantastic. And the fact that it clearly rattled pitchers from day 1 and has remained effective since establishes it as a justifiable Lupton tradition, IMO.

Sure, visiting fans who are offended by it won't know the back story and probably won't care. But I don't care what they think. Really, it's too bad they can't have similar moments with their programs to have similar traditions. I know the story and I know it was a spontaneous creation that swept everyone at Lupton within a single inning so that's all that matters to me. It's more than some doofus bringing a bubble machine and a bunch of other half-wit adults thinking it was a good idea and calling it a tradition.
Agree 100%

flyfishingfrog

On paper DBU hit better than we do too. I'm not saying I expect them to be terrible, but we saw three teams in our regional with better offensive numbers than us and I think it says a lot about who they played relative to who we played.

You're right that it's foolhardy to think we're suddenly the best offense of the 16 remaining teams after all those walks and HBP this weekend. But we've been getting walks all season and at some point you have to start giving credit to the offense for working walks, getting guys on base, and getting timely hits/contact in order to drive them home. It's not something new.

The DBU game was interesting because their pitching was so bad - I think it might have sucked the life out of them after the 2nd inning by giving up so many runs with so few hits. They came out swinging and then either Brian got a lot better command, the strike zone moved a little down and in for him, or they just slowly lost faith in their staff - maybe all of that.

And I will agree that we are as patient at the plate as any team we have faced all year and have earned those walks.

A good question, and one I don't know the answer to, is when we face the better pitchers this year that have been able to throw enough strikes without making mistakes - and that being patient approach has resulted in getting down 0-2 or 1-2 a lot more then it resulted in walks - should we adjust our approach?

Or is it better to continue to try and eat pitches to get the count up and the starter gone to someone that will make a mistake and we can capitalize on? and does that perspective changes as the competition gets better throughout the playoffs or do you stay with the one that got you this far?

flyfishingfrog

Agree 100%
when it was created spontaneously during the SHSU marathon it was great.

And no matter how annoying or overused a person might think it is - its hard to argue that isn't effective after the last 3 years of playoff baseball at Lupton and the number of pitchers and coaches that have commented on our crowd level and the pressure it brings.

Maybe we could get that without the woo, but it sure has been part of it.