• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth Regional discussion

Purp

The DBU game was interesting because their pitching was so bad - I think it might have sucked the life out of them after the 2nd inning by giving up so many runs with so few hits. They came out swinging and then either Brian got a lot better command, the strike zone moved a little down and in for him, or they just slowly lost faith in their staff - maybe all of that.

And I will agree that we are as patient at the plate as any team we have faced all year and have earned those walks.

A good question, and one I don't know the answer to, is when we face the better pitchers this year that have been able to throw enough strikes without making mistakes - and that being patient approach has resulted in getting down 0-2 or 1-2 a lot more then it resulted in walks - should we adjust our approach?

Or is it better to continue to try and eat pitches to get the count up and the starter gone to someone that will make a mistake and we can capitalize on? and does that perspective changes as the competition gets better throughout the playoffs or do you stay with the one that got you this far?
I've wondered the same things at times this year, but I've recently come to the conclusion, I think, that our level of patience varies from game to game. You hit on it earlier, but last night we watched a lot of pitches that we've waved at at over times this season. When guys like Skoug, Wanny, Brown, Merrill, Cam, (hell, the whole damned lineup) aren't offering at that breaker down and off the plate if forces the pitcher to come to them. When we do offer at it consistently we expand the zone for the pitcher and give him the advantage.

I really think this is less about a pitcher having a great performance and more about our hitters trying to do more in some games than other games. Maybe the fact the our rotation seems to have stabilized over the last several weeks is helping the offense to be less assertive at the plate. I just can't explain why our hitters can lay off of a great breaking ball one night and fan on one that's not nearly as nasty the next day. That is the key to making our offense work, though, and everyone has known that for the last month and a half. If they still walk us a lot with good arms on the mound it tells me we're working walks more than they're always having bad outings.

f_399

when it was created spontaneously during the SHSU marathon it was great.

And no matter how annoying or overused a person might think it is - its hard to argue that isn't effective after the last 3 years of playoff baseball at Lupton and the number of pitchers and coaches that have commented on our crowd level and the pressure it brings.

Maybe we could get that without the woo, but it sure has been part of it.

From Missouri State -"They apparently are even more annoying than Arkansas fans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4z4ya6uZfE"

ftwfrog

From Missouri State -"They apparently are even more annoying than Arkansas fans...

Again, it's hard to gauge anything in Omaha like that clip does. When I was there a few years back (the 15 inning UVA game) there were many neutral fans wooing, and at odd times. I guess for them it was just spontaneous and fun, but I've read that people get annoyed by it on neutral ground and I let them know that it's not always TCU fans.
However, Saturday, Sunday and Monday will be loud as scheiss. So to the woman covering her ears and giving people dirty looks for being loud fans (not obnoxious, just loud) bring earplugs if you can't handle noise.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
Agree 100%

I agree about 99%...

my only restraint being that, as a fanbase overall, we haven't truly nailed down when or how to use it. Yes, the baseball loyalists of this thread know when it's appropriate... but when our fair-weather fans (more appropriately named "postseason fans") start the Woos with the first pitch in the Bottom of 1 it's absurd.

IF we could some how learn the timing of the woo I would undoubtedly move to 100%

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum

I was there.. a lot of Tech and neutral fans were wooing quite randomly in mockery no matter the situation. That's kind of the Omaha crowd, though... like volleying beach balls or doing the 360 wave for an entire inning while ignoring the actual baseball

Last edited:

Purp

I agree about 99%...

my only restraint being that, as a fanbase overall, we haven't truly nailed down when or how to use it. Yes, the baseball loyalists of this thread know when it's appropriate... but when our fair-weather fans (more appropriately named "postseason fans") start the Woos with the first pitch in the Bottom of 1 it's absurd.

IF we could some how learn the timing of the woo I would undoubtedly move to 100%
Are you suggesting we have a midnight woo practice on Friday night? Darn that noise. I'd rather have ignorant fans woo at the wrong times.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
Are you suggesting we have a midnight woo practice on Friday night? Darn that noise. I'd rather have ignorant fans woo at the wrong times.

No. I didn't say anything like that.

giphy.gif

Although, maybe a tweet from Gary Ric Flair might get some ears perked

Last edited:

mc1502

Can those that can't make it to the game in person tele-woot from their living rooms?

Asking for a friend.

Tom Brown

If I wasn't present at Lupton 3 years ago when the wooooooo first happened I might agree with you. If the wooooooo hadn't been effective I might also agree with you.

But after a full day of tailgating in the late May/early June heat and about 2/3 of the way into a 22 inning game when it's well after midnight you become a special kind of delirious. At that point ordinarily stupid things become fantastic. And the fact that it clearly rattled pitchers from day 1 and has remained effective since establishes it as a justifiable Lupton tradition, IMO.

Sure, visiting fans who are offended by it won't know the back story and probably won't care. But I don't care what they think. Really, it's too bad they can't have similar moments with their programs to have similar traditions. I know the story and I know it was a spontaneous creation that swept everyone at Lupton within a single inning so that's all that matters to me. It's more than some doofus bringing a bubble machine and a bunch of other half-wit adults thinking it was a good idea and calling it a tradition.

In yo face, other teams' fans!

flyfishingfrog

A major question with MSU is are you better off getting to their bullpen? Seems like their best pitchers are the first two guys out of it. I guess if you have chased the starter due to runs, then yes. If it is just pitch count - it might backfire.