• The KillerFrogs

Fort Worth Regional discussion

Some of you are big talkers who talk big behind a computer screen but are the biggest pusses. The Frogs won a tough regional but played average at best down the stretch...even uninspired sometimes. Traver and JJ pitched great. Howard was solid. DF showed signed of coming around. But a month ago, nobody knew what to expect...even the head coach who made a comment On a national radio show about not knowing how far this team can go, So all the name calling of Frog fans is stupid. Celebrate a tough regional win and hope the boys stay focused against mo state and keep improving so that something special might happen in Omaha. And quit acting better than someone else just because they may be more realistic about our teams.

Just admit you along with 80% of everyone else was 100% wrong.

TCUWIN

Just admit you along with 80% of everyone else was 100% wrong.

Oh, I was wrong. I knew the talent was there. The team that swept through the Houston tournament at the beginning of the season proved that. But after that, this team never seemed to play like that again until Virginia.

And I called out all the chicken littles on his board when we lost a couple of series. I fully expected to be a super regional host and still fully expect to go to the CWS.

f_399

I'm still worried about the pen.

We didn't exactly use much of the bullpen.

That game Eisler came in was because we already had a big lead. I doubt that is the game plan in a close/contested game.

Besides the weather, this regional's outcome was about as good as it gets. Starting pitching went deep, offense had some fire in it, Watson got a home run and we don't have to deal with Arkansas and their fans.

ReedFrawg

Highlight of the night was being told by an 80-year-old DBU lady that we were the worst behaved fans she'd ever seen at a sporting event, even worse than UT fans. This was in the 3rd inning. I was stone sober, and nobody in our section was doing anything other than wooing, yelling, and stomping. It was very odd because she made a point to walk a full section to tell me this then went right back to her seat.

She can't handle the woo.

If any other school did the woo, I guarantee everyone on here would be talking about how bush league it is, how obnoxious, etc. Now we can be lumped in with arkie and aggy!

flyfishingfrog

We didn't exactly use much of the bullpen.

That game Eisler came in was because we already had a big lead. I doubt that is the game plan in a close/contested game.

Besides the weather, this regional's outcome was about as good as it gets. Starting pitching went deep, offense had some fire in it, Watson got a home run and we don't have to deal with Arkansas and their fans.
Starters were amazing, even Brian settled in after a little rough first two innings - that was what won this regional

Feldman looked good after his normal 2 high fastball start both nights and we never really had to see if our BP is ready or not because of the starters

The rest looked the same really

Wymer was encouraging but he had the luxury of no pressure and just throwing hard and over the plate to challenge the batters to make contact - maybe he need that approach all the time but during the season he was trying to hit the edges and struggled at times with it

Offensively we looked basically like we always do until we got to a depleted pitching staff - if you want to read some great awakening in our bats from a win where we had 13 runs on 7 hits at one point and more walks that hits for most of the game - feel free and I hope you are right.

But both games yesterday showed why you want to avoid the losers bracket - DBU dominated UVA because they had no pitching and then we returned the favor to DBU

MSU looks a lot like us - so it will be a challenge. They have good starters, a true ace (something we didn't face in regionals) and they are super patient at the plate - plus on paper they hit better than we do.

So we are gonna need all the good to keep flowing this weekend.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
She can't handle the woo.

If any other school did the woo, I guarantee everyone on here would be talking about how bush league it is, how obnoxious, etc. Now we can be lumped in with arkie and aggy!

XmDkI5Q.jpg

Pharm Frog

It's hard to beat TCU when you walk us. It's hard for us to win against good teams when they don't. Starters need to be sharp. When they are we can play with anyone. I hold no illusions that the "hitting" is going to improve in any consistent way.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
It's hard to beat TCU when you walk us. It's hard for us to win against good teams when they don't. Starters need to be sharp. When they are we can play with anyone. I hold no illusions that the "hitting" is going to improve in any consistent way.

I felt really good about how we waited on pitches last night and worked deep into the count. Especially some of our guys who had a slow start for their first couple ABs but stayed level-headed

flyfishingfrog

The key was getting Janczak back.
Obviously that has been huge

But I think just as big has been Traver his last few starts - going deep and ina dominate fashion looking like the guy we all knew he could be if he could get past the injuries

And Brian getting past turning one mistake into three has allowed him to go deep

Like all teams, TCU is a different club when playing from a lead with three dominate arms on the mound dictating the pace

We never really had that until the last couple of weekend outside of maybe the Texas series

flyfishingfrog

I felt really good about how we waited on pitches last night and worked deep into the count. Especially some of our guys who had a slow start for their first couple ABs but stayed level-headed
We are always patient at the plate- so I think we did what we have done all year

The question all year has been is working the count worth always getting down 0-2 or 1-2 before you get the bat off your shoulder

We definitely swung at a lot less bad pitches with two strikes last night than normal (except Wayde, he quietly didn't have a great night at the plate) but then as Pharm said - when DBU is throwing so many balls, constantly getting behind and walking half the guys they face - we faced a lot less down in the count situations

But the team did a great job of fouling off borderline pitches to either wait for their pitch or wait for another ball to draw a walk

flyfishingfrog

Which is concerning because it doesn't look like MSU starters give out a lot of walks