• The KillerFrogs

Why does TCU discourage basketball attendance?

McFroggin

I went to the TCU v UH game in Houston for $7. I had no idea we charge over double for games. Now I know why attendance is so poor.

tetonfrog

You missed a comma. FIFY. Any game is more fun if you get lit first, regardless of what happens to the tree.

:laugh:

Honestly, you'd have to pay me $15 to watch the TCU-Lamar bball game. This game is only slightly better than the TCU-Austin College game. How about a decent home game?

OK, Middleage, but you haven't explained why they couldn't have scheduled this at 6:30, or at 9:00, as in old, instead of what just happens to be the exact tip-off time for the BB game across the street. Would that have been so hard to do?
Oh was that my job to explain that? I didn't read the small print. You failed to explain why they have games and Christmas tree lightings (is that a thing?) during night school. I just think this is a silly thing to complain about in the scheme of things. I bet this changed attend none percent. Were you personally torn?

Atom

I went to the TCU v UH game in Houston for $7. I had no idea we charge over double for games. Now I know why attendance is so poor.

Tickets could be free and attendance still wouldn't be good for the last many years

slower tempo plus losing teams = no thanks.

tcumaniac

The "old" TCU tradition of lighting the Christmas tree on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving goes back 16 years!!! Wow, can't interfere with a tradition like that, can we? And seriously, couldn't the "old tradition" of lighting the Christmas tree on Wednesday after Thanksgiving be at 8 o'clock rather than 7:00? And the note about the "AVID Christmas tree lighting ceremony fans"....?? Enough said.

are you high??? how would changing the lighting time to 8 be better?? I went straight from intramural soccer, to the lighting a 7... It was done by 7:25 and then me and a group of friends made it to the game for the 2nd part of the 1st half... I was able to watch 3/4 of the game going to both... Youre brilliant plan would have been idiotic.

and to the internet tough guys bagging on the christmas lighting..... it;s a cool experience that alot of campus shows up to and it's a pretty fun way to kick off the christmas season...

too bad the students couldnt have all walked to the game afterwards... everyone i asked to go kinda laughed in my face at the idea of actually atttending a basketball game

NativeFrog

The student section of 25 people, many of whom were dressed in a No. 6 basketball jersey, was really rocking. Kind of reminded me of the scene at a basketball game in the Dean Smith Center or Cameron Indoor Stadium. Absolutely crazy.

Big Frog II

The student section of 25 people, many of whom were dressed in a No. 6 basketball jersey, was really rocking. Kind of reminded me of the scene at a basketball game in the Dean Smith Center or Cameron Indoor Stadium. Absolutely crazy.
Surprising considering our program is as good as those two.

oldscribe

Actually a lot of students go to the tree lighting. You dont have to be an "avid tree fan" to attend.

Those students instead could be at the basketball game, cheering on their classmates.

Its an effing tree. Light that crap on Thursday night.

Must be allowed to drink at the tree-lighting......major attraction

geno

Oh was that my job to explain that? I didn't read the small print. You failed to explain why they have games and Christmas tree lightings (is that a thing?) during night school. I just think this is a silly thing to complain about in the scheme of things. I bet this changed attend none percent. Were you personally torn?

I know MiddleAged folk can't read the small print, so I didn't expect you to. And yes, I was personally torn when at the very beginning of the game last night I counted (actual count) 87 people in the whole west half of the coliseum, not including the band. It did include the dozen or so TCU students who were decked out in No. 6 jerseys. Attendance in the east half of the coliseum did pick up a bit, I guess after the essential tree lighting ceremony was over, but still wasn't that good. Then when I read this morning in the ST that the "announced attendance" was more than 4,000, I was amazed. And frankly, MiddleAge, as a Frog fan you ought to be torn, too, at the lousy support we're giving the team.

weklfrog

The title of this thread should be revised to "Why does the TCU athletic department discourage basketball attendance?" Why is the blame being placed on TCU administration for a scheduling conflict when the tree lighting has been on that day and time for many years and the basketball game was likely scheduled within the last year? It was the athletic department that scheduled a home basetball game at the same time as a long-standing tradition that has held that time slot for many many years.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
If TCU basketball has gotten to the point where a tree lightning ceremony hurts attendance, they shouldn't schedule games during the tree lighting ceremony.

Latest posts