• The KillerFrogs

Why does TCU discourage basketball attendance?

geno

The "old" TCU tradition of lighting the Christmas tree on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving goes back 16 years!!! Wow, can't interfere with a tradition like that, can we? And seriously, couldn't the "old tradition" of lighting the Christmas tree on Wednesday after Thanksgiving be at 8 o'clock rather than 7:00? And the note about the "AVID Christmas tree lighting ceremony fans"....?? Enough said.

Kaiser

"Avid fans of tree lightings" sounds funny to me. I picture rabid fans in ugly Christmas sweaters traveling the country to see different lightings, and going nuts as soon as they plug the lights in.

That's what I was going for. :biggrin:

Since I believe avid fans of tree lighting are a small percentage of students, I don't see this as a major scheduling conflict. This is the equivalent of a basketball game conflicting with a new episode of Becker.

hfrogs10

Intramural basketball goes on at the same time as a number of home games. I've seen larger crowds at the IM finals when a TCU game is going on at the same time across the street.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Prices were raised in hopes people wouldn't go see how bad basketball has become at TCU. Hopefully if this team turns around and starts winning and playing ball people want to see, they will lower prices and encourage attendance.

TCUdirtbag

Christmas Tree Lighting is always the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. It's called a scheduling conflict, it happens.
This. It's traditionally Wednesday at 7 after Thanksgiving. This time of year there's tons going on--fraternity and sorority formals, initiations, end of year this and that, basketball games, football season coming to a close and the tailgating etc. that goes along with that, students are busy with end of semester projects and finals prep. Believe it or not, it's not a conspiracy. As in life, the students have to make choices.

ifrog

The tree lighting ceremony will be more exciting and be more of a positive experience for the university than the TCU-Lamar basketball game. If Billy Tubbs was coaching either team, the basketball game would have been more exciting.

Actually agree with you for once.

froginmn

I may have attended as many tree lightings as games at DMC when I was at TCU 20 years ago.

This was not due to the quality of the tree lightnings.

Have they redesigned the arena so it is no longer completely round and the closest seats to the floor are no longer 50 feet away?

PurpleBlood87

Tickets were 15 bucks last year. I went to all but four games because of work and only paid once for the USC game. After that someone always seemed to be offering tickets outside the arena and I was glad for them to hand me one.

geefrogs

Actually a lot of students go to the tree lighting. You dont have to be an "avid tree fan" to attend.

Those students instead could be at the basketball game, cheering on their classmates.

Its an effing tree. Light that crap on Thursday night.

The "old" TCU tradition of lighting the Christmas tree on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving goes back 16 years!!! Wow, can't interfere with a tradition like that, can we? And seriously, couldn't the "old tradition" of lighting the Christmas tree on Wednesday after Thanksgiving be at 8 o'clock rather than 7:00? And the note about the "AVID Christmas tree lighting ceremony fans"....?? Enough said.

Okay Scrooge, it goes back more than 16 years. My first year at TCU was in 1989, and it was always the first Wednesday after Thanksgiving. That's at least 23 consecutive tree lightings on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, and it's always at 7:00 PM.

It's a tradition, and among my favorite at TCU.

First of all they have been doing this a lot more than 16 years. Secondly it's not always been at 7:00 it was at 9:00 in the early 90s. And finally - this thread is weak. You could also be commenting on, "why does TCU discourage night school attendance." Lighten up dudes. The campus doesn't black out whenever there's an athletic event.

geno

First of all they have been doing this a lot more than 16 years. Secondly it's not always been at 7:00 it was at 9:00 in the early 90s. And finally - this thread is weak. You could also be commenting on, "why does TCU discourage night school attendance." Lighten up dudes. The campus doesn't black out whenever there's an athletic event.

OK, Middleage, but you haven't explained why they couldn't have scheduled this at 6:30, or at 9:00, as in old, instead of what just happens to be the exact tip-off time for the BB game across the street. Would that have been so hard to do?