• The KillerFrogs

When did Baylor become a Rival?

W

Way of the Frog

I know the story about both schools starting in Waco etc.....

When I was at TCU in the 80's I really don't recall much more being made about playing Baylor than Rice, Houston, or Tech.

The only game I can recall having any rivalry aspect to it was the game with SMU.

There was some excitement when Texas or Arkansas came to town, but I really don't recall that much being made about the Baylor game and I sure as heck never heard the term "The Revivalry". My ignorance doesn't mean much as I never knew we had a trophy with Tech and to be completely honest I had never heard of the Iron Skillet.

When did Baylor become a Rival? Is or was this more Art versus Gary? Rivalries don't have to be balanced as I never saw TCU beat SMU while I was in school though there were some very close games.

Thoughts?

Gringo1873

I have Déjà vu. Didn't we just have a thread almost identical to this a few weeks ago? I mean shockingly identical. I have no problem with revisiting the question. From my perspective as a TCU student from 2004 - 2008, we did not care about Baylor. It was nice to beat them in 06 and 07 but I don't remember it being much different than beating Iowa State or another bad Big 12 team. I could be wrong, I drank a lot those days.

tcumaniac

One day someone on here needs to write a short story on Baylor.

Briefly touching on how they ended up in Waco, how they ended up in the Big 12, and then how things started getting really fun in the late 2000s to present.

Zubaz

Can't speak to what happened in the SWC, though it seems like both of us focused more on beating the bigger Texas schools than they did caring about each other. I didn't care about beating them in 2006 or 2007, it occupied a space in my fandom maybe a bit above beating Iowa State in 2005. It was a Texas AQ team, but not a very good one. During those years, BYU and Utah were clearly the rivals.

I think it started up again in 2010.

It began when Baylor, the perennial Big XII doormat, finally made a deal with the devil and won a few games.

Then, when we came in the conference and started kicking butt, they got upset because what took them 18 years to do (win the Big XII conference), only took us 3.

So they made us their rival and the media ran with it. The whole 61-58 obsession was entirely theirs. We never made a big deal of crushing them 45-10 in 2010, or beating them in 2006, 2007, 2012, 2015 or 2016, because Baylor was a joke of a school for all but 5 years.

Now that they have returned to joke status, the “rivalry” is over.

FROG PARENTS 1961

I have Déjà vu. Didn't we just have a thread almost identical to this a few weeks ago? I mean shockingly identical. I have no problem with revisiting the question. From my perspective as a TCU student from 2004 - 2008, we did not care about Baylor. It was nice to beat them in 06 and 07 but I don't remember it being much different than beating Iowa State or another bad Big 12 team. I could be wrong, I drank a lot those days.
i think the thread is called Baylor Tears.

LVH

From 1998-2005 Baylor was ass every single year and we were starting to gain traction.

We had successful years in 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2005 while Baylor was wallowing in 1 win seasons.

Baylor fans claimed our success was 100% because we didn't play anyone and played in a bad conference. They claimed that even though they went 1-10 or 2-9 every year, that they would beat us simply because they played in the Big 12 and we didn't.

They finally got their chance to back up those claims in 2006. We were coming off an 11-1 season and ranked. Baylor had a lot of hype going into that year as well as they firmly believed after a 4-7 2005 season that this was finally their year to break through and make a bowl game.

I was at that game. Baylor fans, especially their students, had a bunch of signs making fun of the Mountain West and how superior they were because they were in the Big 12. Not any of their trash talk or signs had anything to do with their actual football ability, it was 100% conference related.

Baylor scored first in that game and their QB was talking a lot of [ Finebaum ] and their players doing a lot of showboating. We came back to win 17-7 and instead of their fans shutting up, it reverted back to "Well even though you won we are still a better team because we are in the Big 12". They proceeded to go 4-8 in their supposed big year, and we finished with another 11 win campaign. Still viewed themselves as superior. We got them again to start the year in 2007 and beat them 27-0 and the "We are superior because of our conference" talk continued.

We didn't play them again until 2010. We were coming off our first BCS bowl game, and Baylor started 2-0 after beating bad opposition. Baylor talked a lot of [ Finebaum ] leading up to that game, believing that they were back because they started 2-0 and we were garbage and our 12-1 season the year before was meaningless because we played no one. They taunted our players during warmups. We beat the [ Finebaum ] out of them, 45-10 but it was only 45-10 because we gave them mercy.

Boomhauer

From 1998-2005 Baylor was ass every single year and we were starting to gain traction.

We had successful years in 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2005 while Baylor was wallowing in 1 win seasons.

Baylor fans claimed our success was 100% because we didn't play anyone and played in a bad conference. They claimed that even though they went 1-10 or 2-9 every year, that they would beat us simply because they played in the Big 12 and we didn't.

They finally got their chance to back up those claims in 2006. We were coming off an 11-1 season and ranked. Baylor had a lot of hype going into that year as well as they firmly believed after a 4-7 2005 season that this was finally their year to break through and make a bowl game.

I was at that game. Baylor fans, especially their students, had a bunch of signs making fun of the Mountain West and how superior they were because they were in the Big 12. Not any of their trash talk or signs had anything to do with their actual football ability, it was 100% conference related.

Baylor scored first in that game and their QB was talking a lot of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] and their players doing a lot of showboating. We came back to win 17-7 and instead of their fans shutting up, it reverted back to "Well even though you won we are still a better team because we are in the Big 12". They proceeded to go 4-8 in their supposed big year, and we finished with another 11 win campaign. Still viewed themselves as superior. We got them again to start the year in 2007 and beat them 27-0 and the "We are superior because of our conference" talk continued.

We didn't play them again until 2010. We were coming off our first BCS bowl game, and Baylor started 2-0 after beating bad opposition. Baylor talked a lot of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] leading up to that game, believing that they were back because they started 2-0 and we were garbage and our 12-1 season the year before was meaningless because we played no one. They taunted our players during warmups. We beat the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] out of them, 45-10 but it was only 45-10 because we gave them mercy.

Great post. Was also there in 2006 and remember that game well. Atmosphere was great and remember Guy Morris coming out on the field riding a motorcycle and pumping the crowd up. And especially remember their CB CJ Wilson talking about how he was a heisman candidate and was going to take it to us. Of course he ended up getting burned by Aaron Brown for a long pass TD that completely changed the game. Was right down the TCU sideline and TCU fans going crazy. There's a great gif of it out there somewhere. Good times.

4 Oaks Frog

I know the story about both schools starting in Waco etc.....

When I was at TCU in the 80's I really don't recall much more being made about playing Baylor than Rice, Houston, or Tech.

The only game I can recall having any rivalry aspect to it was the game with SMU.

There was some excitement when Texas or Arkansas came to town, but I really don't recall that much being made about the Baylor game and I sure as heck never heard the term "The Revivalry". My ignorance doesn't mean much as I never knew we had a trophy with Tech and to be completely honest I had never heard of the Iron Skillet.

When did Baylor become a Rival? Is or was this more Art versus Gary? Rivalries don't have to be balanced as I never saw TCU beat SMU while I was in school though there were some very close games.

Thoughts?
I am class of 1973, and as far back as I go with my support for the Horned Frogs I/we have hated baylor in every sport. Beating baylor every time we met them in competition of any sort, the rivalry was bitter. That might just be me, but I don’t think so.
GO FROGS!!!
KILL baylor!!
Spit Blood~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Frog DJ

I've taught Sunday morning Bible Study to teenagers for well over twenty years in a Southern Baptist Church, and I've never been a member of any other denomination.

When our church hired a new youth minister several years ago, he made it crystal clear he was a proud graduate and die-hard supporter of Baylor, and even referred to Waco as "Jerusalem On The Brazos."

During his introduction to the youth department they invited the kids to fill out 3X5 cards with questions for him to answer in front of the entire group. I wrote, "How long has it been since Baylor beat TCU?"

When the question was announced someone shouted, "Oh that's (my name)," so the new minister looked at me and responded, "Well, I know it's been a while, but I'll take the Big XII."

I just said, "You can have the Big XII. We'll be satisfied with the Top 10."

He and I have become fast friends and fun-loving rivals.

I can't wait for Friday!

Go Frogs!

SwissArmyFrog

I never followed things so closely that I heard much about the Baylor fans 'we're in the B12 and we're not' stuff.

First I ever felt a rivalry might be coming on was the 2011 game in Waco. I was thoroughly expecting to win that game - and I imagine the Baylor fans at the game expected the same thing, at first, but the game was a classic, decided by their kicker near the very end. We pummeled them in 2012 (again, in Waco), but they took 2013 (another close, exciting game...but one where we all but gave them 21 points) and 2014 (long, tense game that didn't go our way). 2015 was down to the wire in OT...

IMHO, 4 of 5 close, exciting games vs. an old SWC foe makes for the beginnings of a rivalry. Then we crushed them into dust in Waco in the 2016 game...

This website has done much to heighten the feelings regarding playing Baylor, but honestly, most of the fan base aren't KF.c members, so they probably don't look at Baylor in the same light/venom as those here do.

Latest posts