• The KillerFrogs

When did Baylor become a Rival?

TCUSA

I am class of 1973, and as far back as I go with my support for the Horned Frogs I/we have hated baylor in every sport. Beating baylor every time we met them in competition of any sort, the rivalry was bitter. That might just be me, but I don’t think so.
GO FROGS!!!
KILL baylor!!
Spit Blood~~<~< and [ darn ] baylor!!

Yep. Grant Teaff years. Baylor's been a rivalry our entire history. It's never risen to the level of SMU until recently because of location, but they were definitely a rivalry (that moniker "the revivalry" is very recent as far as I know).

Frogs1983

Really revved up when then Texas Governor and BU Alum Ann(Leatherface) Richards pulled some Political strings to get BU into the newly formed Big 12 at the expense of TCU.

ftwfrog

I've taught Sunday morning Bible Study to teenagers for well over twenty years in a Southern Baptist Church, and I've never been a member of any other denomination.

When our church hired a new youth minister several years ago, he made it crystal clear he was a proud graduate and die-hard supporter of Baylor, and even referred to Waco as "Jerusalem On The Brazos."

During his introduction to the youth department they invited the kids to fill out 3X5 cards with questions for him to answer in front of the entire group. I wrote, "How long has it been since Baylor beat TCU?"

When the question was announced someone shouted, "Oh that's (my name)," so the new minister looked at me and responded, "Well, I know it's been a while, but I'll take the Big XII."

I just said, "You can have the Big XII. We'll be satisfied with the Top 10."

He and I have become fast friends and fun-loving rivals.

I can't wait for Friday!

Go Frogs!
“Liked” for everything except how you became friends with the pervert.

Frog DJ

“Liked” for everything except how you became friends with the pervert.
I'm assuming you meant that in jest, but I'm compelled to point out that this guy is one of the most genuine, admirable men of integrity I've ever know, and he's most certainly not a pervert.

Go Frogs!

Jet Set Frog

I think if you can simplistically define a rival program as a team that you REALLY, REALLY want to mercilessly beat senseless. So if you don't think Baylor is our rival, then you haven't been paying attention.

MTfrog5

It began when Baylor, the perennial Big XII doormat, finally made a deal with the devil and won a few games.

Then, when we came in the conference and started kicking butt, they got upset because what took them 18 years to do (win the Big XII conference), only took us 3.

So they made us their rival and the media ran with it. The whole 61-58 obsession was entirely theirs. We never made a big deal of crushing them 45-10 in 2010, or beating them in 2006, 2007, 2012, 2015 or 2016, because Baylor was a joke of a school for all but 5 years.

Now that they have returned to joke status, the “rivalry” is over.
I remember reading that in our first year in the Big 12 we won more road games than Baylor did in their first 13 years of the conference

TCUBetterThanYou

From 1998-2005 Baylor was ass every single year and we were starting to gain traction.

We had successful years in 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2005 while Baylor was wallowing in 1 win seasons.

Baylor fans claimed our success was 100% because we didn't play anyone and played in a bad conference. They claimed that even though they went 1-10 or 2-9 every year, that they would beat us simply because they played in the Big 12 and we didn't.

They finally got their chance to back up those claims in 2006. We were coming off an 11-1 season and ranked. Baylor had a lot of hype going into that year as well as they firmly believed after a 4-7 2005 season that this was finally their year to break through and make a bowl game.

I was at that game. Baylor fans, especially their students, had a bunch of signs making fun of the Mountain West and how superior they were because they were in the Big 12. Not any of their trash talk or signs had anything to do with their actual football ability, it was 100% conference related.

Baylor scored first in that game and their QB was talking a lot of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] and their players doing a lot of showboating. We came back to win 17-7 and instead of their fans shutting up, it reverted back to "Well even though you won we are still a better team because we are in the Big 12". They proceeded to go 4-8 in their supposed big year, and we finished with another 11 win campaign. Still viewed themselves as superior. We got them again to start the year in 2007 and beat them 27-0 and the "We are superior because of our conference" talk continued.

We didn't play them again until 2010. We were coming off our first BCS bowl game, and Baylor started 2-0 after beating bad opposition. Baylor talked a lot of [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] leading up to that game, believing that they were back because they started 2-0 and we were garbage and our 12-1 season the year before was meaningless because we played no one. They taunted our players during warmups. We beat the [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] out of them, 45-10 but it was only 45-10 because we gave them mercy.

All true. Our students played a part in riling them up though. I was around from 2000-2004, and I remember plenty of students wearing "kick Baylor out of the Big 12" shirts as our program started to rise. They took it personal, the same way we did when we were left for dead in 1995.

This was just the fans, however. Things started getting chippy between the program's when Guy Morris was hired at Baylor. He held a grudge that TCU had hired Gary instead of him when Fran left. When he got his shot at Gary in 2006, he was chirping in the media about how Gary made the hair stand up on the back of his neck. Of course we beat them in Waco and a couple of years later, Morris is gone and Briles is hired.

Briles and co. already had history with Gary, losing some classics to us while at UofH.
That, combined with the emotions stirred up between the programs before, made for some great sports hate between the programs and fan bases. Of course now the whole world knows what dastardly sh!theads Briles and his crew were. We knew all along.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
It started when hey set fire to our campus in Waco (Thorpe Springs).
You do know that Waco and Thorp Springs are 2 different places? Thorp Springs is not far from Granbury...the Clarks moved the campus from there to Waco in 1895 after 22 years at the original site. It was moved from Waco to Ft Worth after 15 years or so; we were actually in Thorp Springs longer than we were in Waco...thank goodness.

97242_tcu920611_02.tif.preview.jpg

swcfrog

Detested Baylor since freshman in 65. Holier than thou attitude turned my stomach. Being from Oklahoma I was unaware of Baylor and the jerks that make up their student body. Nothing has changed in over 50 years. Hope we have a beat-down this Saturday.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
It all started for me in 1995. Ann Richards using her political clout to get Baylor in the Big 12 earned her and Baylor my continued hate. I can't improve on several of the posts above, but one other thing that always pissed me off about the Baylor conference smack in the 2000's was that despite them being a worthless doormat in the Big 12, they were taking home $20MM or more every year in TV and Bowl money like a blood sucking leech. Meanwhile, TCU was kicking arse and nationally ranked, but lucky to get $3MM a year in the MWC. The playing field was totally uneven and we needed to make sure we could afford our coaching staff while not being too big a burden to the rest of the university.

I can never remember the bad blood between the two since I’ve been following the Frogs. I go back to the ‘60’s and never felt the bitterness that the series has now. We wanted to beat Baylor but the animosity between the schools just wasn’t there. I want to win the Big 12 championship and they’re in the way.

#BeatBaylor

Joe1000

Growing up a TCU fan, I never considered Baylor a "rival." They were just another school. You'd hear weird stories about them occasionally, like not allowing dancing, etc. But they were bad at everything. Course, TCU wasn't great either. But they were just a small, weird, (forgive me) gay school in a terrible little strip mall town you drive through when headed south on 35.

I think the Big 12 snub was what started it. People understood getting left out for UT and A&M, with those two kind of being the State flagship schools. Tech sucked for other reasons (us getting THEM into the SWC when they were basically Abilene Christian). But Baylor was such a chump school and the politics of it played out in front of everyone's eyes and it just pissed us off. Then, came the superior attitudes that they would have for no good reason other than being in the Big 12. (Obviously this was a tech affliction as well)

Course it all kept growing, as others have detailed. Eventually, when we get in the Big 12, and have multiple BCS bowls in our recent history, a Rose Bowl win, numerous 10 win seasons, etc....and they have like 2 or 3 years of 7 man success with a gimmick offense, and they start to talk and act like their success was not only on par with ours...but that their program had far surpassed us.

Of course, it was all a flash in the pan. All built on rape, and classless play on the field, and steroid use (yep). Karma is awesome. Rape boy and GP had some great battles, on and off the field though. The hate between them was real and it definitely fed the "rivalry." Obviously 61-58, and all the nonsense about that. Its to the point that I do believe it is a rilvary and I absolutely despise that program and that school.

But I was always surprised by the obsession on this forum by some with all things Baylor. I kind of would just like to go about hating them like I hate Tech or Aggie or Horn. I think it legitimizes them to have them be our "rival." When it was us vs them for the CFP spot, I always thought that their program benefited from being associated with ours. Like part of our journey and success since 2000 had rubbed off on them when people couldn't mention TCU without mentioning Baylor.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I have Déjà vu. Didn't we just have a thread almost identical to this a few weeks ago? I mean shockingly identical. I have no problem with revisiting the question. From my perspective as a TCU student from 2004 - 2008, we did not care about Baylor. It was nice to beat them in 06 and 07 but I don't remember it being much different than beating Iowa State or another bad Big 12 team. I could be wrong, I drank a lot those days.
We can have as many threads as needed. There are no limits and when the members feel there are enough of them, they won't respond to the new ones

Rivalries are healthy. SMU is definitely one. But the more in conference rivalry the better. Glad TCU is making the Texas Tech game a bigger deal with the saddle trophy. Like the "Rerivalry" with Baylor. However, wish Baylor was kicked out and UH to fill their Texas spot. But meantime the hate is strong between TCU and Baylor and that is a good thing for the Big 12. People travel and show up where interest and hate are part of the game. Right now Baylor fans hate TCU and TCU fans hate Baylor. And it is so easy to hate Baylor right now with the coaching hires they have made and their "win at all costs" mentality. I think we will find out Rhule is the same as any Baylor hire.

W

Way of the Frog

I appreciate those that have shared their thoughts.

Personally, I think that TCU getting left out of the Big 12 was one of the best things that happened to the school, not just the athletic department.

Yes, Baylor and other schools seemed to look down their noses, but I never got bothered by that much.

I always felt they had this air about them they felt morally superior to everyone and never took it personally.

Read and hear people talk about "hate" and I don't get that emotion. Funny part is for some if you don't "hate" them for that has happened on the campus you seem to condone it.

Our winning or losing a game won't change one thing about the culture on the Baylor campus. History tells us that as this is the school that has allowed so much for so many years.

Taken solace that those who job it is to lead the flock so to speak will be held to a higher standard come judgement day.

Sebastian S

I wish they did it the right way and this rivalry would be "alive and kicking".

A good TCU and Baylor football team would have been great games. Games where good(and bad) memories are made.

It was fun while it lasted.