• The KillerFrogs

Preaching to the choir, but still

It's funny, we base almost our entire case over Baylor in 2014 by virtue of their poor OOC and us having beat Minnesota, and our entire case over OSU by virtue of their loss in OOC to Virginia Tech.....and NOW since our "good" OOC opponent is crapping the bed and some other teams have good OOC wins, OOC games are "way overvalued".

You want consistency in how rules are applied, but it seems like what you really want to want is for the rules to tilt in our favor on a year-by-year basis, however those rules best serve us.
Good God. You may be the most self loathing TCU fan in existence.

Most of us believe that TCU should have been ranked ahead of Baylor because, well, we just played better than them all year. We had greater MOV, an equal offense, but a decidedly better defense. We had nine common opponents that year. Comparatively we were better. The OOC was irrelevant to most of us given that we had NINE common opponents to use to form an opinion.

Wexahu

Good God. You may be the most self loathing TCU fan in existence.

Most of us believe that TCU should have been ranked ahead of Baylor because, well, we just played better than them all year. We had greater MOV, an equal offense, but a decidedly better defense. We had nine common opponents that year. Comparatively we were better. The OOC was irrelevant to most of us given that we had NINE common opponents to use to form an opinion.

What about Ohio State?

Dogfrog

Funny how Wex claims we have adopted the CFP standards because we discuss them here. We have no choice Wex because we have a committee and Some shill named Jeff or Kirby step up and force feed us what the criteria will be. We are forced to deal with it no matter how stupid or ever changing.

Conference championships bring clarity, consistency, and fairness. Which promotes credibility.

HickoryFlameFrog

The CPS and the BCS before it have diminished the conference championships and the bowl game experience. Instead of fans arguing over the AP and Coaches Poll results we have a handful of shills beholden to their espn overlords. Tasked with selecting the four "best" teams by a nebulous criteria that is more simply expressed with $$$$. If there is one thing I am thankful for it is that I can watch the Horned Frogs every game on my television. The vast sums of money paid by the networks for broadcast rights is a double-edged sword. The networks have paid the money and so they can do whatever suits them with their programing to raise the revenue to pay colleges millions each year.

LSU Game Attendee

To TCU's benefit, TV has greatly dropped the weighting of "butts in seats".

Also, while the CFP is slanted, things are drastically more fair for TCU than they were in the true big cigar and meat on the hoof team-stacking days.

With that perspective, I still reserve the right to get irate about the CFP and current equivalent of Jeff Dong propping up the SEC, Big10, and Notre Dame.

Lone Frog

That would have been really dumb of us to think that Arkansas was going to be a Top 10 team since they've been that about once in the last 30 years, and it wasn't Ohio State who chose to turn that into a 1-game series, but to your point, you're right, you don't know to some degree. It's a little bit out of your control in that sense. But you pretty much know Jackson State is going to stink. You have a pretty good idea Ohio State is going to be pretty good and you have a pretty good idea Arkansas is going to be a middle-to-lower middle of the pack SEC team like they always have been. To suggest competitive scheduling is total guesswork is dumb.

I don't think anyone else thinks OOC games shouldn't be considered in CFP talks, I think you're out on an island on that one. In fact, it's essential unless we want the month of September in college football to be a snoozefest.

Actually, I'm pretty sure we scheduled the series with Arkansas back in 2010, the year they finished ranked 8 in the BCS.

rifram09

The media loves the 4 team playoff for the reasons he stated. I would like an 8-team playoff, but he isn't wrong that the stakes would be reduced. For P5 teams, the only thing that would matter is winning your conference. You would probably have 3-loss teams in the field.

Dogfrog

The media loves the 4 team playoff for the reasons he stated. I would like an 8-team playoff, but he isn't wrong that the stakes would be reduced. For P5 teams, the only thing that would matter is winning your conference. You would probably have 3-loss teams in the field.

Fine with me. At least everybody would know exactly what is required to get into the playoff. No excuses.

Wexahu

The CPS and the BCS before it have diminished the conference championships and the bowl game experience. Instead of fans arguing over the AP and Coaches Poll results we have a handful of shills beholden to their espn overlords. Tasked with selecting the four "best" teams by a nebulous criteria that is more simply expressed with $$$$. If there is one thing I am thankful for it is that I can watch the Horned Frogs every game on my television. The vast sums of money paid by the networks for broadcast rights is a double-edged sword. The networks have paid the money and so they can do whatever suits them with their programing to raise the revenue to pay colleges millions each year.

I think what's diminished the conference championships more than anything is the ham-fisted way in which they are determined. In the ACC, SEC and Big 10, you've got anywhere from 3-5 teams you don't even play so whether you're a "champion" or not often depends on what division you're in and if the scheduling gods that year fell in your favor as much as proving on the field you have the best team. And in the Big 12 we play a perfect round robin and then they just add a game at the end to give team #2 a mulligan. It's purpose is to add another game for the CFP committee, not really determine a champion, but to make the game seem more legit they call it the CCG.

Generally though, as the game has become more national as opposed to regional, conference championships don't have the cache they had before.

W

Way of the Frog

The media loves the 4-team playoff because it gives them a couple of months of bull [ Finebaum ], made up "tension" to talk about instead of having to actually work at their jobs and find real stories.

Instead, we get shows and bloggers who rant for a week about rankings that don't matter.

Again, use the play-off systems found in every other level of college football, seed according to records, top seeds host, and you don't think that won't make the regular season important if you possibly might have to play in Ohio or Wisconsin in December over staying in Florida or SoCal.

CountryFrog

What does Stugotz think about it? He's the only guy at ESPN that I trust to give well reasoned and informed sports opinions.

And that's the straight talk presented by straight talk wireless.

CountryFrog

Wex - What do you expect people on here to do? Just bow down to the all knowing committee and accept their decision in 2014 with grace and honor? And then when we do things that the committee supposedly values, just say "aw shucks, I guess we'll just wait and see what the good ole fair and balanced committee of consistency has to say about it. We've certainly got no room to think that we should be viewed as a potential playoff team because of X, Y, and Z criteria."

It is possible for some of us to live in a world where we both want to get in the playoff by whatever way possible because we are fans of our team AND find faults in the process the committee uses, whether they are beneficial to TCU, Ohio St, UCF, or Toby's Business College.

OmniscienceFrog

That would have been really dumb of us to think that Arkansas was going to be a Top 10 team since they've been that about once in the last 30 years, and it wasn't Ohio State who chose to turn that into a 1-game series, but to your point, you're right, you don't know to some degree. It's a little bit out of your control in that sense. But you pretty much know Jackson State is going to stink. You have a pretty good idea Ohio State is going to be pretty good and you have a pretty good idea Arkansas is going to be a middle-to-lower middle of the pack SEC team like they always have been. To suggest competitive scheduling is total guesswork is dumb.

I don't think anyone else thinks OOC games shouldn't be considered in CFP talks, I think you're out on an island on that one. In fact, it's essential unless we want the month of September in college football to be a snoozefest.

Who did then?

OmniscienceFrog

"Something no TCU fan will say in 2018 if the Frogs beat Ohio State" for $100, Alex.

It's funny, we base almost our entire case over Baylor in 2014 by virtue of their poor OOC and us having beat Minnesota, and our entire case over OSU by virtue of their loss in OOC to Virginia Tech

You got a mouse in your pocket? I don't base the case for TCU over Baylor in 2014 on the OOC schedules. I base it on Baylor losing by two touchdowns to West Virginia in Morgantown while TCU beat WV in Morgantown. I don't base TCU over Ohio St on TCU having beaten Minnesota in OOC while Ohio St lost to VT in OOC. I base it on TCU's one loss having been by three points on the road against an 11-1 top-10 team, while Ohio St's one loss was at home against a 6-6 team.

Last edited:
W

Way of the Frog

What does Stugotz think about it? He's the only guy at ESPN that I trust to give well reasoned and informed sports opinions.

And that's the straight talk presented by straight talk wireless.

Stugotz is the only guy on ESPN who will acknowledge the has no real talent, profound insight, or any level of expertise which makes him the most likeable guy on the network.