• The KillerFrogs

Preaching to the choir, but still

Wexahu

Agree college is far superior to NFL but that is in spite of the four team playoff. This is ESPN / CFP taking credit for regular season interest level. BS. Just make conference championships the single criterion for playoff appearances and you will maximize regular season interest. Thirteen dipshits determining the "four best" behind closed doors is a loser.

And has been explained 100x before, you'd also render the OOC schedule as completely meaningless. Nobody wants that. You HAVE to have at-large selections (or have a system where OOC games count toward conference standings, which is totally unworkable).

FrogCop19

And is paired with this guy, the single worst broadcaster in the history of ever.

Stephen-A.-Smith.jpg

I know most broadcasters wear earpieces to know when they're going to commercial breaks and other broadcasty-type things, but I would only assume that everyone on that set, from co-hosts to cameramen, would need to wear ear PLUGS to tolerate this windbag. He could be ordering steak at a nice, quiet 4-star dining establishment and he would scream like someone was jabbing him in the groin with an icepick. I've often found that the person that talks loudest knows least, they're just trying to drown out the voice of reason.

Dogfrog

And has been explained 100x before, you'd also render the OOC schedule as completely meaningless. Nobody wants that. You HAVE to have at-large selections (or have a system where OOC games count toward conference standings, which is totally unworkable).

This is a loser system that hurts college football credibility. Not counting OOC games will improve OOC schedules or reduce the number of OOC games. That's absolutely workable for me.

W

Way of the Frog

I know most broadcasters wear earpieces to know when they're going to commercial breaks and other broadcasty-type things, but I would only assume that everyone on that set, from co-hosts to cameramen, would need to wear ear PLUGS to tolerate this windbag. He could be ordering steak at a nice, quiet 4-star dining establishment and he would scream like someone was jabbing him in the groin with an icepick. I've often found that the person that talks loudest knows least, they're just trying to drown out the voice of reason.

Not sure if it is true or not, but I have heard and been told that Stephen A is actually different when he isn't being the character that he is on radio and television.

Skip is supposedly not acting and what you see is Skip. Heard the same about Jason Whitlock.

Not sure which is worse, being an ass all the time or playing such an over the top of character.

Pharm Frog

This isn't aimed at you, but I'm amazed at the number of people who claim to never watch ESPN but yet seem to know every one of these guys "takes". I've seen this guy on TV before but I don't watch his shows so I don't really know what his takes are, but in this particular clip I don't disagree with him on much.

I have literally never heard of this Max Kellerman fella. I have no idea if he is a retired player or play-by-play guy. I have no idea why I would want to listen to him at all. His face looks vaguely familiar but most things are vague for me nowadays.

EDIT: And, yes, I did mean to type "literally"

Wexahu

Not counting OOC games will improve OOC schedules

First, I don't think it would, and second, who's going to care about a Oklahoma-Ohio State or TCU-Ohio State game if the outcome doesn't even matter? Why would coaches even play their starters, why not save them for the real games that count? They'd evolve into something similar to NFL preseason games. Those are exciting,

W

Way of the Frog

First, I don't think it would, and second, who's going to care about a Oklahoma-Ohio State or TCU-Ohio State game if the outcome doesn't even matter? Why would coaches even play their starters, why not save them for the real games that count? They'd evolve into something similar to NFL preseason games. Those are exciting,

First, you can not truly do a play-off right unless you realize you are going to do damage to the bowl games when you pull more teams out of rotation as well as take the play-off games away from them.

The solution is played at every other level of college football and that is a true play-off system. Expand to the top 8, 5 conference champs are in as well as the top 3 non-champions.

Seed the play-off with the higher see hosting the play-off game. Championship game is played at a neutral site

This model works for every other level of college football, values the regular season, values winning your conference, and would basically mean an end to the bowls.

Remember that at one time the bowls had no impact in the determination of a champion and was merely viewed as an exhibition game.

Dogfrog

It is idiotic to put so much emphasis on OOC games because scheduling OOC games is a random exercise. Why should any team be given credit points toward the playoff just because they wield the power or $$$ to lure attractive OOC opponents? Or because ESPN or Jerry Jones has interest in the matchup. Scheduling OOC is a crapshoot for the most part based on availability. This is just more stupidity.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
If college football stays the course of annointing the few and making different arguments every Tuesday as to why some schools are deserving while not applying the same equation to others, it could go the way of the NFL.

Wexahu

Why should any team be given credit points toward the playoff just because they wield the power or $$$ to lure attractive OOC opponents?

You don't have to wield power or $$$ to schedule attractive OOC opponents, you just have to willing to do it. Maybe go on the road and do it, so what? If you win that game, you'll get even more credit for it.

Giving teams credit for scheduling and beating a really good opponent when they otherwise wouldn't have to seems like a very good way to go in order to encourage and reward competitive scheduling so nobody has to sit through the 49-0 beatdowns that are prevalent every Saturday afternoon in September (and even November in the SEC). I guess you suggest a system where all OOC games are treated like exhibition games would be better? I just think that is an insane idea. Those games would be TERRIBLE, just like NFL preseason games.

Dogfrog

You don't have to wield power or $$$ to schedule attractive OOC opponents, you just have to willing to do it. Maybe go on the road and do it, so what? If you win that game, you'll get even more credit for it.

Giving teams credit for scheduling and beating a really good opponent when they otherwise wouldn't have to seems like a very good way to go in order to encourage and reward competitive scheduling so nobody has to sit through the 49-0 beatdowns that are prevalent every Saturday afternoon in September (and even November in the SEC). I guess you suggest a system where all OOC games are treated like exhibition games would be better? I just think that is an insane idea. Those games would be TERRIBLE, just like NFL preseason games.

Ask any athletic director outside the top 10 blue blood schools if scheduling top OOC opponents is "just a matter of doing it". This is so naive. OOC schedules are established many years in advance based on which schools are available or willing to play you. Again for the most part random based on availability and willingness to play. No way to choose playoff participants.

Wexahu

Ask any athletic director outside the top 10 blue blood schools if scheduling top OOC opponents is "just a matter of doing it". This is so naive. OOC schedules are established many years in advance based on which schools are available or willing to play you. Again for the most part random based on availability and willingness to play. No way to choose playoff participants.

This seems to suggest that schools try and schedule as highly of competitive games as they possibly can and just aren't able to. That's just not true. TCU never plays more than P5 OOC opponent and always plays an FCS school because that's the way GP wants it.

If they start REALLY rewarding teams for playing good P5 OOC opponents and REALLY penalizing them for playing directional schools and FCS programs, you'd almost instantly see a major shift in how OOC schedules are structured.

Dogfrog

H
This seems to suggest that schools try and schedule as highly of competitive games as they possibly can and just aren't able to. That's just not true. TCU never plays more than P5 OOC opponent and always plays an FCS school because that's the way GP wants it.

If they start REALLY rewarding teams for playing good P5 OOC opponents and REALLY penalizing them for playing directional schools and FCS programs, you'd almost instantly see a major shift in how OOC schedules are structured.

How do you know 5 years in advance who the "good" P5 teams are going to be? Again, totally random. For all we knew Ark was going to be top 10. Not. For all we knew Ohio State would honor their contract to play us home & home. No, and mostly out of our control although we agreed for $$$. Random. Only the hard core apologists for the CFP would argue that OOC is a fair data point for playoff inclusion. If you can talk your buddies at CFP into seeding and scheduling OOC year to year, maybe. But currently OOC is mostly random and unfair.

LOL. There are only so many really good programs out there for OOC games. You can't just decide you want to play Michigan or Stanford or Florida State and it will magically happen. There are more teams who want to play them than there is availability.

For that reason, I think OOC is way overvalued. To make things worse, you get penalized if you schedule a 2016 Notre Dame or 2016 Michigan State type of team. Those who scheduled them had every intention of having a high quality opponent on their schedule and got screwed because they were terrible that year. They shouldn't be penalized for doing exactly what the committee has told them is important.

Wexahu

H

How do you know 5 years in advance who the "good" P5 teams are going to be? Again, totally random. For all we knew Ark was going to be top 10. Not. For all we knew Ohio State would honor their contract to play us home & home. No, and mostly out of our control although we agreed for $$$. Random. Only the hard core apologists for the CFP would argue that OOC is a fair data point for playoff inclusion. If you can talk your buddies at CFP into seeding and scheduling OOC year to year, maybe. But currently OOC is mostly random and unfair.

That would have been really dumb of us to think that Arkansas was going to be a Top 10 team since they've been that about once in the last 30 years, and it wasn't Ohio State who chose to turn that into a 1-game series, but to your point, you're right, you don't know to some degree. It's a little bit out of your control in that sense. But you pretty much know Jackson State is going to stink. You have a pretty good idea Ohio State is going to be pretty good and you have a pretty good idea Arkansas is going to be a middle-to-lower middle of the pack SEC team like they always have been. To suggest competitive scheduling is total guesswork is dumb.

I don't think anyone else thinks OOC games shouldn't be considered in CFP talks, I think you're out on an island on that one. In fact, it's essential unless we want the month of September in college football to be a snoozefest.

Wexahu

For that reason, I think OOC is way overvalued.

"Something no TCU fan will say in 2018 if the Frogs beat Ohio State" for $100, Alex.

It's funny, we base almost our entire case over Baylor in 2014 by virtue of their poor OOC and us having beat Minnesota, and our entire case over OSU by virtue of their loss in OOC to Virginia Tech.....and NOW since our "good" OOC opponent is crapping the bed and some other teams have good OOC wins, OOC games are "way overvalued".

You want consistency in how rules are applied, but it seems like what you really want to want is for the rules to tilt in our favor on a year-by-year basis, however those rules best serve us.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

That would have been really dumb of us to think that Arkansas was going to be a Top 10 team since they've been that about once in the last 30 years, and it wasn't Ohio State who chose to turn that into a 1-game series, but to your point, you're right, you don't know to some degree. It's a little bit out of your control in that sense. But you pretty much know Jackson State is going to stink. You have a pretty good idea Ohio State is going to be pretty good and you have a pretty good idea Arkansas is going to be a middle-to-lower middle of the pack SEC team like they always have been. To suggest competitive scheduling is total guesswork is dumb.

I don't think anyone else thinks OOC games shouldn't be considered in CFP talks, I think you're out on an island on that one. In fact, it's essential unless we want the month of September in college football to be a snoozefest.

Essential my patooty. Essential to TV and CFP and you. These random data points should have little bearing on playoff participation. Conference champions are the answer.

"Something no TCU will say in 2018 if the Frogs beat Ohio State" for $100, Alex.
So? We didn't make the rules, so I'm sure we would, as fans, use them to our advantage in internet arguing contests. Whoopee!

That still doesn't prove that OOC is not overvalued. As you've readily admitted, you can't predict how good a team will be years in advance. There are only a handful of teams you can rely on to be good every year. But there are 65 Power 5 schools trying to schedule them.

Take off your shoes and do the math.

jack the frog

Might want to check that--thru last week attendance at NFL venues is up from last year

What you is is correct as I understand it but it is not a clear cut as that I think. A great deal of NFL attendence is baked in by way of season ticket sales and single game ticket pre-sales, much of which took place in the spring and summer. Also, these numbers do not show people that bought tickets but did not go. There has been some writing (cannot find link) that season ticket sales for next year are weak and that the number of no-shows versus sales are higher than the historical average. 2018 will be telling much like the next recruiting year year often rewards you for the good or bad seasons.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-attendance-not-hurt-by-protests-yet-2017-11

DeuceBoogieNights

Not sure if it is true or not, but I have heard and been told that Stephen A is actually different when he isn't being the character that he is on radio and television.

Skip is supposedly not acting and what you see is Skip. Heard the same about Jason Whitlock.

Not sure which is worse, being an ass all the time or playing such an over the top of character.

I met Stephen A. One time for a previous job. He was super nice and it caught me off guard. I expected him to be an ass.