• The KillerFrogs

NFL Frogs after the cuts

BleedNPurple

I know we've been successful over the last few years getting kids drafted to the NFL, and I'm very proud of our record, but does anyone else think the ones we've sent tend to be either ill-prepared or injury prone? Oddly enough our linemen seem to be the most successful, while our RB and WR seem to be great on paper but a bust at the next level.

And yes, I know about LT and Dalton, but can anyone else name a skill position from the last 15 years that has gone on to be as productive as those two?
Turpin might have a career in the NFL.

LVH

I know we've been successful over the last few years getting kids drafted to the NFL, and I'm very proud of our record, but does anyone else think the ones we've sent tend to be either ill-prepared or injury prone? Oddly enough our linemen seem to be the most successful, while our RB and WR seem to be great on paper but a bust at the next level.

And yes, I know about LT and Dalton, but can anyone else name a skill position from the last 15 years that has gone on to be as productive as those two?
RB is a dying position due to the NFL choosing to become a [ muschi ]fied league that chases video game passing numbers and treating QBs with kids gloves

NFL was better when it was about lineman and running backs as opposed to basically a glorified 7 on 7 where the defense has to play with 2 hands behind their backs

Wexahu

RB is a dying position due to the NFL choosing to become a [ muschi ]fied league that chases video game passing numbers and treating QBs with kids gloves

NFL was better when it was about lineman and running backs as opposed to basically a glorified 7 on 7 where the defense has to play with 2 hands behind their backs
It's still about lineman, that's why so many are drafted high every year. Good line play is still the most important thing in football.

And I think the thing with running backs, it just took the league a long time to catch on that it's the easiest position to replace on the field, and probably has the shortest shelf life of any position in football. Therefore, it's kind of dumb to spend a bunch of money or draft capital on RBs.

Zubaz

And I think the thing with running backs, it just took the league a long time to catch on that it's the easiest position to replace on the field, and probably has the shortest shelf life of any position in football. Therefore, it's kind of dumb to spend a bunch of money or draft capital on RBs.
Yeah it's not so much that the NFL doesn't still need quality RB's, it's that the delta between the RB's isn't all that huge, combined with the shorter careers makes them not worth the capital in the Salary Cap for the most part. Jonathan Taylor is figuring this out, so did Leveon Bell.

Wexahu

Yeah it's not so much that the NFL doesn't still need quality RB's, it's that the delta between the RB's isn't all that huge, combined with the shorter careers makes them not worth the capital in the Salary Cap for the most part. Jonathan Taylor is figuring this out, so did Leveon Bell.

Yep. They complain about not getting paid, and then a team tries to trade for them and the most they offer is maybe a 3rd round pick. So it's like "that's why we're not paying you $80M guaranteed on a 5-year deal, you're worth a 3rd round pick". Sucks for them but it's a zero sum game, whatever they aren't getting paid is going to someone else.

CountryFrog

Was Reagor or Doctson a bigger bust in the NFL? Gotta be Reagor, right? If for no other reason than him getting picked ahead of Jefferson.
For me is far and away Doctson. I don't care how high Reagor was drafted, everyone knew he was one of those boom or bust type prospects. He wasn't a 1st round pick because of anything he did in college. He was a 1st round pick because he was a freak athlete and if he could put it all together could be a big time playmaker in the NFL. Offensive football these days is about creating big plays and there are very few guys with the type of speed, acceleration, and quickness that JR has. But you also knew that if he didn't dramatically improve in a number of areas that he wouldn't see the field much. So it can't be a huge surprise to anyone who saw him in college that his career didn't pan out.

Doctson on the other hand was about as productive his senior year as you can possibly be at WR especially considering he didn't even play a full season. While he didn't have a super high ceiling due to less than stellar athleticism he seemed at worst a classic #2 possession type receiver who could make occasional big plays. But alas it didn't happen.

Rex Kramer

For me is far and away Doctson. I don't care how high Reagor was drafted, everyone knew he was one of those boom or bust type prospects. He wasn't a 1st round pick because of anything he did in college. He was a 1st round pick because he was a freak athlete and if he could put it all together could be a big time playmaker in the NFL. ...
Doctson on the other hand was about as productive his senior year as you can possibly be at WR especially considering he didn't even play a full season. While he didn't have a super high ceiling due to less than stellar athleticism he seemed at worst a classic #2 possession type receiver who could make occasional big plays. But alas it didn't happen.
I'd agree that it's Doctson, but is my memory that bad?

Not to crap on Reagor because he was a great Frog, but I remember being shocked that he went in the first round because all he had was speed. It was elite, but nothing side-to-side. I didn't think he had the agility to avoid the guys who he couldn't outrun, which wouldn't be as many in the NFL. Plus, he had below average hands.

On the other hand, I remember being amazed at Doctson's body control and his ability and willingness to high point a ball. I remember him having great hands and plus speed. I was shocked that he couldn't make it work at the next level. Without looking it up though, I think there were some injury factors in play with him.

CountryFrog

I'd agree that it's Doctson, but is my memory that bad?

Not to crap on Reagor because he was a great Frog, but I remember being shocked that he went in the first round because all he had was speed. It was elite, but nothing side-to-side. I didn't think he had the agility to avoid the guys who he couldn't outrun, which wouldn't be as many in the NFL. Plus, he had below average hands.

On the other hand, I remember being amazed at Doctson's body control and his ability and willingness to high point a ball. I remember him having great hands and plus speed. I was shocked that he couldn't make it work at the next level. Without looking it up though, I think there were some injury factors in play with him.
Doctson had plus speed and great body control by COLLEGE standards. By NFL standards he had good size, good speed, good athleticism but was never going to be a great after the catch guy and wasn't going to be the type of deep threat that would change the way defenses at that level had to play.

Reagor had great speed and athleticism even by NFL standards and absolutely could've been someone that forced defenses to play differently if he'd been a better route runner and more consistent catching the ball. So at that point it's an organizational decision in the draft room on whether you only want to draft guys who have had great production in college or you're willing to take a chance on someone like Reagor in hopes that your coaches can get him to improve in the areas he needs to improve to reach his ceiling. I'm sure there were plenty of teams who had 3rd or 4th round grades on JR due to the college inconsistencies but all it takes is one team who believes they have the organizational magic to unlock any player's full potential.

Eight

there is an interesting argument to be made that if there is a rb in the draft who is a first round talent to take them because of the length of time a team can keep that first round pick under team control

the team can basically get the shelf life of an nfl back out of the first round pick without having to ever pay second contract money

Eight

Back with the Pack on PS. Wallow back with Texans on PS. Collins with Bears PS

good situation for wallow, time to work w a staff who knows nfl linebacker play and a team who is willing to sift through bodies right now

think the situation for max is a good one as well

Wexahu

there is an interesting argument to be made that if there is a rb in the draft who is a first round talent to take them because of the length of time a team can keep that first round pick under team control

the team can basically get the shelf life of an nfl back out of the first round pick without having to ever pay second contract money
I agree. Drafting one is not stupid if you get a guy that can make some difference. Signing them to a second contract is always stupid. I'm not sure any of those big RB contracts has ever worked out for a team. And I think some of it is the player themselves, once they get that big contract, they maybe aren't quite as willing to stick their nose in there for that extra yard as they were when they were fighting for that contract.

An-Cap Frog

Purp

This is the right answer, IMO. A guy like Zeke was elite for about 4 years, maybe 5. He put too much of a toll on his body to justify a contract after that at a high rate. If you've got a guy available in the 1st round who can be a Pro Bowl every-down back you take him. You just have to make sure you trade him before his rookie deal is done or let him walk in free agency. 1st round money for a top 5 RB in the league is a great value. The number of RBs worth the full value of their 2nd contracts over the last 20 years might be counted on one hand.

froginmn

Those are very difficult comparisons. LT is the NFL's #7 all time leading rusher. Dalton was one of 30 starting QBs in the league for multiple seasons.

In looking for others who have been/will be successful you need to lower the bar a bit or it's an obvious no.