• The KillerFrogs

Move entire 2011 home schedule to Cowboys Stadium?

OmniscienceFrog

Not getting the "get the stadium finished quicker" angle. The stadium is not going to be finished before the 2012 season whether we play there in 2011 or not, and even if they do decide to rebuild the east side right after the 2011 season, it will be finished by the 2012 season anyway. Either way it's going to be done by the 2012 season.

gdu

Not getting the "get the stadium finished quicker" angle. The stadium is not going to be finished before the 2012 season whether we play there in 2011 or not, and even if they do decide to rebuild the east side right after the 2011 season, it will be finished by the 2012 season anyway. Either way it's going to be done by the 2012 season.
Not sure which one you really mean but the construction folks have said they can't get it all done by 2012 is we play there in 2011.

Doesn't matter, the Ath dept tried to get our whole home slate at JerryWorld and it didn't work.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to just scrap the idea of playing at ACS for 2011 and move all games to Cowboys Stadium. Why you ask?

1. It allows us to go ahead with full renovation of the stadium and complete the east side before 2012 too.
  2. It would keep angelosfrog away! :laugh:
  3. We could probably put the screws to the MWC by doing this. How you say? BYU found a loophole in the TV contract a year ago that states that TV rights to games not played on campus fall to the residual rights and therefor fall back into the hands of the individual schools. They used this clause last year and this year to play a handful of basketball games at EnergySolutions Arena in SLC and broadcast the games on BYUtv and KJZZ. We could probably use this same clause to gain control of all of our games and sell those rights to ESPN. Yes, if this TV loophole applies to football - which I think it does - we could play all of our home games on the ESPN family of networks in 2011 by simply moving them to Cowboys Stadium.

Obviously there's a lot to consider here. But, if Jerry would give us a deal where our ticket prices did not increase, and the TV loophole did apply, it would be worthwhile. We could get a few million extra from ESPN and get some real exposure - obviously with an expected inventory of games against FCS, SMU, ULM, UNM, CSU, UNLV, and BYU - we're more likely to be on ESPNU than on ESPN. But, we could also work a deal to have these games produced by ESPN and on KTXA, KDFI, or KFWD with them on ESPN Gameplan nationally.

You just cannot snap your fingers and make that happen. Jerry may have his stadium booked up on our dates. Then there is the little matter of facility rental and that ain't cheap my friend. Finally, ESPN may not want to pick up the option on our games.

Its a nice stadium and I wouldn't mind sticking it to the rest of the MWC but we should rise above it all and just whip the snot out of them one last time

Metropolis777

There's nothing dumb about wanting to have the entire stadium renovated in as little time as possible. There is a reason that they looked into doing this. Alas, it looks like we'll have to deal with 2+ seasons of an unfinished stadium.

gdu

And you wonder why you're Mr. Popularity.

We don't know that - yet.
The folks who get paid the big bucks have been told that. Good enough for me.

You have the same attitude as me, but I don't hate Texas, which accounts for the difference.

jbob1011

wait...you guys aren't the decision makers?! WE'VE BEEN HAD!

As entertaining as it would be to have all of our home games in the Death Star, I agree with TopFrog. I'd rather sit in our half-finished new stadium, where less opposing fans can fit.

gdu

wait...you guys aren't the decision makers?! WE'VE BEEN HAD!

As entertaining as it would be to have all of our home games in the Death Star, I agree with TopFrog. I'd rather sit in our half-finished new stadium, where less opposing fans can fit.
CSU, UNLV and UNM weren't bringing any fans no matter where we play so I'm not sure why that would be a concern.

Gunner

I care more about the college football experience than trying to screw the mountain west. Our players, students, and fans deserve a halfway normal season--even if the teams we play suck.

Plus, it wouldn't be right. The intent was clearly different than what you described..

You have a reputation to uphold..

Gunner

Would be in favor of playing all the games at Jerry's World.. not to bother me...

Still, we cannot finish just one half of a stadium in 9 months?

You do realize that anyone paying for Frog Club parking spots on campus is paying significantly more than $20-$30 per game for a parking spot. I think I was paying around $50-$60 per game per spot in Lot 4 last year. Lot 3 spots were $125 per game if you are a young alum or $250 per game if you were past 10 years out.

ditto...after paying Lot 2 parking rates...$30 is a deal....sign me up!!! alot of this is going to depend on how far along the construction is when we kick off..it could be some fun or a real mess...still curious where they'll park me!!

westtexfrog

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to just scrap the idea of playing at ACS for 2011 and move all games to Cowboys Stadium. Why you ask?

1. It allows us to go ahead with full renovation of the stadium and complete the east side before 2012 too.
  2. It would keep angelosfrog away! :laugh:
  3. We could probably put the screws to the MWC by doing this. How you say? BYU found a loophole in the TV contract a year ago that states that TV rights to games not played on campus fall to the residual rights and therefor fall back into the hands of the individual schools. They used this clause last year and this year to play a handful of basketball games at EnergySolutions Arena in SLC and broadcast the games on BYUtv and KJZZ. We could probably use this same clause to gain control of all of our games and sell those rights to ESPN. Yes, if this TV loophole applies to football - which I think it does - we could play all of our home games on the ESPN family of networks in 2011 by simply moving them to Cowboys Stadium.

Obviously there's a lot to consider here. But, if Jerry would give us a deal where our ticket prices did not increase, and the TV loophole did apply, it would be worthwhile. We could get a few million extra from ESPN and get some real exposure - obviously with an expected inventory of games against FCS, SMU, ULM, UNM, CSU, UNLV, and BYU - we're more likely to be on ESPNU than on ESPN. But, we could also work a deal to have these games produced by ESPN and on KTXA, KDFI, or KFWD with them on ESPN Gameplan nationally.

Ask SMU how well their move to Texas Stadium worked out for them.

I actually like the idea of the whole season at Jerry's World. Playing at ACS with moving a bunch of people around far away from where they sit could end up being a huge mess that may alienate a lot of people. We will hardly be giving up a home field advantage because we would have all of the season ticket holders going there. Considering there will likely be a lockout, I think Jerry might be willing to give us a better deal on use of the stadium since he will not be getting any revenue from the Cowboys. It certainly could not hurt to ask him about doing the whole season there. Playing all of the games there would make it easier for scheduling as well as getting the construction of the stadium done by 2012. By playing at Jerry's world, we might be able to get additional TV revenue as well as additional luxury box revenue. We might end up selling more season tickets and getting a bigger walk up crowd due to the fact that people may want to stay away from the construction mess. We might even pick up some bandwagon fans by moving the season over there due to the lockout.

Ask SMU how well their move to Texas Stadium worked out for them.

That is not really a fair comparison and the situation was completely different for a couple reasons.

1) We would play likely just one season there.

2) Texas Stadium sucked.

3) SMU was not doing any renovation or rebuilding Ownby like we are at ACS.

4) Ownby was about as bad as Fouts Field in Denton. I can still remember the wooden bleachers they had there before they moved to the Cotton Bowl.

There's nothing dumb about wanting to have the entire stadium renovated in as little time as possible. There is a reason that they looked into doing this. Alas, it looks like we'll have to deal with 2+ seasons of an unfinished stadium.

I am glad to know that they have looked into it. With the likelihood of an NFL lockout, I think we are in a better bargaining position than earlier thats why we need to look at it again. The idea of 2 + seasons of construction really does suck.

I have a little experience in dealing with a remodeling project as a kid. That really has shaped why I would rather have the whole season at Jerry's World. I grew up in an older home that needed serious remodeling. My stepfather and my mother decided get this done while I was growing and we got screwed around by a coupe of contractors and it took a couple of years to get it done. Instead of moving out and renting a place, they decided to stick it out and stay there rather than move out during the remodeling project. In the meantime, I had no use of the party room with a pool table. I also had to worry about stepping on nails and other stuff. None of my friends really wanted to come over during that time either due to the construction. I also had to deal with ridicule from friends over the whole mess.