• The KillerFrogs

Move entire 2011 home schedule to Cowboys Stadium?

Metropolis777

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to just scrap the idea of playing at ACS for 2011 and move all games to Cowboys Stadium. Why you ask?

1. It allows us to go ahead with full renovation of the stadium and complete the east side before 2012 too.
  2. It would keep angelosfrog away! :laugh:
  3. We could probably put the screws to the MWC by doing this. How you say? BYU found a loophole in the TV contract a year ago that states that TV rights to games not played on campus fall to the residual rights and therefor fall back into the hands of the individual schools. They used this clause last year and this year to play a handful of basketball games at EnergySolutions Arena in SLC and broadcast the games on BYUtv and KJZZ. We could probably use this same clause to gain control of all of our games and sell those rights to ESPN. Yes, if this TV loophole applies to football - which I think it does - we could play all of our home games on the ESPN family of networks in 2011 by simply moving them to Cowboys Stadium.

Obviously there's a lot to consider here. But, if Jerry would give us a deal where our ticket prices did not increase, and the TV loophole did apply, it would be worthwhile. We could get a few million extra from ESPN and get some real exposure - obviously with an expected inventory of games against FCS, SMU, ULM, UNM, CSU, UNLV, and BYU - we're more likely to be on ESPNU than on ESPN. But, we could also work a deal to have these games produced by ESPN and on KTXA, KDFI, or KFWD with them on ESPN Gameplan nationally.

TCUdirtbag

I care more about the college football experience than trying to screw the mountain west. Our players, students, and fans deserve a halfway normal season--even if the teams we play suck.

Endless Purple

no thank you.

I enjoy buying season tickets, but I won't spend $20-$30 per game for parking at JerryWorld.

Also it would not mess with the MWC. Home games are covered by the MWC contract regardless of location. The BYU game would be a home game for BYU, that is how it gets around the TV contract. We have 3 conference homes games and all would fall under the MWC contract.

LVfrog

I have to say that isn't a good idea. We don't need to be on ESPN to get exposure anymore so why do we want to move off campus. The MWC is looking out for it's best interest, can't blame them. The best way to get back at the conference is to win it again despite the road blocks they keep throwing up.

gdu

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to just scrap the idea of playing at ACS for 2011 and move all games to Cowboys Stadium. Why you ask?

1. It allows us to go ahead with full renovation of the stadium and complete the east side before 2012 too.
  2. It would keep angelosfrog away! :laugh:
  3. We could probably put the screws to the MWC by doing this. How you say? BYU found a loophole in the TV contract a year ago that states that TV rights to games not played on campus fall to the residual rights and therefor fall back into the hands of the individual schools. They used this clause last year and this year to play a handful of basketball games at EnergySolutions Arena in SLC and broadcast the games on BYUtv and KJZZ. We could probably use this same clause to gain control of all of our games and sell those rights to ESPN. Yes, if this TV loophole applies to football - which I think it does - we could play all of our home games on the ESPN family of networks in 2011 by simply moving them to Cowboys Stadium.

Obviously there's a lot to consider here. But, if Jerry would give us a deal where our ticket prices did not increase, and the TV loophole did apply, it would be worthwhile. We could get a few million extra from ESPN and get some real exposure - obviously with an expected inventory of games against FCS, SMU, ULM, UNM, CSU, UNLV, and BYU - we're more likely to be on ESPNU than on ESPN. But, we could also work a deal to have these games produced by ESPN and on KTXA, KDFI, or KFWD with them on ESPN Gameplan nationally.
IMO it would've been the best solution. There is a reason that that is what most schools do when they do rennovations approaching the scale we are undertaking.

The school felt the same, but it didn't work out for several reasons. The next option was to move several early season games to neutral fields. Tech and Boise were the two most talked about, but obviously that didn't happen.

West Coast Johnny

Yes, we should have allready moved all the games to Cowboy stadium. One hold up, I'm sure is Jerry Jones' greed. For those that want the on campus experience; I here what you are saying and off field stadiums generally suck (Baylor, UConn). Its just for one year and 1) our stadium will be a construction site and 2) Cowboys stadium is special. Go ask a blue chip highschool senior if he wants to play in Jerry's world for a season and see what his reaction is.

Metropolis777

I enjoy buying season tickets, but I won't spend $20-$30 per game for parking at JerryWorld.
You do realize that anyone paying for Frog Club parking spots on campus is paying significantly more than $20-$30 per game for a parking spot. I think I was paying around $50-$60 per game per spot in Lot 4 last year. Lot 3 spots were $125 per game if you are a young alum or $250 per game if you were past 10 years out.

bbell

Sure like the idea of getting the stadium renovation done sooner, but as stated by some I think it is too late in the game to make that kind of a move. I just hope we get some decent OOC opponents finalized :unsure:

AEAfrog

The allure of Cowboys Stadium wears off quickly after setting foot inside of it. It's just another NFL stadium. Not worth the expense to the university or the fans.