• The KillerFrogs

Mike Leach

HF-EOC

IIRC, after the 12-3 win over Tech in 2006, Leach complained that his players were thinking more about their "fat girlfriends in the stands" than about the game....LOL....
I will never forget the 2004/2006 series with TTU. The 04 game was such a Leach game - 06 was such a Patterson game. TCU had a solid student contingent at the 04' game, trolling Tech's student section up 21... until we weren't. Was not a fun stadium to walk out of that day after how loud we were at 21-0, only to give up five unanswered TDs immediately after. "I'll nev-ah fah-get dat game..." - Ed O

DeuceBoogieNights

I will never forget the 2004/2006 series with TTU. The 04 game was such a Leach game - 06 was such a Patterson game. TCU had a solid student contingent at the 04' game, trolling Tech's student section up 21... until we weren't. Was not a fun stadium to walk out of that day after how loud we were at 21-0, only to give up five unanswered TDs immediately after. "I'll nev-ah fah-get dat game..." - Ed O

That was my first TCU road game as a student...

StinnettFrog

I was there in 04. My family are big Tech fans so I was there until the bitter end. We were looking good up 21-0 until tye Gunn got hurt. 70-35. That 12-3 game in 06 was awesome though.

I was there in 04. My family are big Tech fans so I was there until the bitter end. We were looking good up 21-0 until tye Gunn got hurt. 70-35. That 12-3 game in 06 was awesome though.
I think the 79-35 QB for Tech was Cumbie. Patterson never forgot him putting up 70 on his D. 12-3 was a prize fight in a phone booth; smothering.

TCU2002

The 06 game was epic. That was Gary being the master. He reworked his defense to deal with the Air Raid, and that defense became dominating.

There was a lot of red there that day, and they were shocked by how TCU shut it down.
I was at both the 2004 and 2006 games. My brother went to Tech and they were both huge showdowns. The 2006 game was the happiest I was about any Frog win until the Rose Bowl.

Those were the days when you hoped that TCU was actually taking strides towards true competitiveness with the Big 12, but still couldn’t be sure. The chances came infrequently - three steps forward (2005 OU, 2005 Texas Bowl over ISU, 2006 Tech) and three steps back (2004 Tech, 2007 Texas, 2008 OU). The undefeated regular seasons in 2009 and 2010 finally seemed to get us over the hump and by 2012 we were in the conference and by 2014 had won it.

Leach and Tech were an important obstacle to conquer. Just shocked by this development. Leach was initially a villain to me, but he proved to fascinating to resist. One of a kind.

Last edited:

Toad Jones

one of the interesting stories told by mumme is why he hired leach in the first place

mumme got the hc job at iowa wesleyan and was trying to hire an oline coach.

the salary was $12k per year and the oline in mumme's offense in the late 80's was going to be in a 2 pt. stance and wide splits. hal said every prospective coach he would talk with would stop the interview halfway through it

at this point mumme decided that he would simply hire the smartest guy he could find and would teach him what he needed to know about the offensive line play in mumme's offense

that guy was leach, they met the first time at byu talking to the great norm chow about byu's pass pro, leach took that week and what mumme told him to implement the foundation of the air raid pass protection, all the drills leach created for the oline, and the careers he fostered
Great post Eight. The spread offense and several other names really had its beginning at BYU! Mummie and Leach took the basic offense, refined it, and kept refining it over several years. Now under different names, as the years passed on, it has changed football 100%. But for a guy like Leach who is known for the short pass of three yards to the pass of 60 yrds, Leach's favorite play was the ........power eye.

That, folks, explain Mike Leach, you never knew what came through his head, the unexpected. One of his sayings from many years back was,..."a receiver is never fully covered, never"

Horny4TCU

RIP Leach

I remember him as GP's adversary and Craig James' son can stay in the shed. And his pressers had some great material and advice.

hometown frog

The old Marvin Godbolt moment…. The original Kaylee Hartung.

He has two bowl rings for sale on eBay. Looks like a pawn shop is the seller.
Was always a fan of his but that game was not great for him.
That sucks. I bought Hobbs bowl ring online and gave it back to him. Two weeks later it was back online. Lesson learned. (Also bought some swag from Boykin via CashApp that never arrived - but by the arrest docs I was not the only one dupped.)