• The KillerFrogs

Mike Leach

rM3panno

I was there in 04. My family are big Tech fans so I was there until the bitter end. We were looking good up 21-0 until tye Gunn got hurt. 70-35. That 12-3 game in 06 was awesome though.
I was there for ‘04 game as my first away game. Transferred to TCU 2nd semester freshman year and sat next to the then newly hired Chancellor VBO…we had a great conversation and 2 days later he had mailed me a TCU T-shirt. That was a the good part of the day.

Leaving that stadium I could have used some bodyguards.

Chongo94

That sucks. I bought Hobbs bowl ring online and gave it back to him. Two weeks later it was back online. Lesson learned. (Also bought some swag from Boykin via CashApp that never arrived - but by the arrest docs I was not the only one dupped.)
That guy, sheesh. Guess maybe he needed the money for all the ramen in prison.

Rabidfrog

I will never forget the 2004/2006 series with TTU. The 04 game was such a Leach game - 06 was such a Patterson game. TCU had a solid student contingent at the 04' game, trolling Tech's student section up 21... until we weren't. Was not a fun stadium to walk out of that day after how loud we were at 21-0, only to give up five unanswered TDs immediately after. "I'll nev-ah fah-get dat game..." - Ed O
I was there. Pretty bad day. First time many of our players saw Lubbock. That TT crowd is loud and unrelenting.

HFrog1999

Those are incredible.

Anyone know if you can hang a flag at the Fiesta Bowl? Someone needs to hang the Jolly Rogers flag to honor Leach.

I’m gonna loot and pillage a small Caribbean island in his honor

Pirate Smile GIF

PurpleBlood87

Saw this post on Facebook.

How welcoming, how kind was Mike Leach?

Jeff Tyler of Wetumpka, AL contacted me to tell me a great story.

It’s a story that reminds us of Coach Leach’s patience, his keen memory and his interest in others.

I think you will enjoy this tale!

“Three years ago, I took my 11-year-old son to a Mississippi State game.

Jackson wanted to see pre-game warm-ups, so we were practically the first fans in the stadium.

We took our upper level seats, and my son asked if he could walk down to the field level seats to watch warm-ups, and I let him.

Well, this kid somehow managed to convince a security guard that he was supposed to be on the field.

The next thing I saw was my son walking up to Coach Leach and fist bumping him.

“The two started talking, and a few minutes later Coach Leach was calling over a couple of his players.

Now, my son was a center on his YMCA team- Coach Leach had his centers showing my son how to snap the ball!

I was in the upper deck, totally dumbfounded that an SEC coach just spent time in pre-game showing some kid he’d never met how to snap a football.

My kid comes back to our upper deck seats beaming with pride- I saw it as a memory of a lifetime.

“Two years later we went to another game- my son was again in the front row watching warm-ups.

A graduate assistant ran over and yelled, Are you Jackson?’ and my son said, ‘Yes!’

The graduate assistant said, ‘Coach Leach wants to see you,’ and he took my son out on the field.

“Coach Leach asked my son if he’d been practicing, and then made him do several snaps.

Coach told him to keep working on it, gave him a football and sent him on his way.

I was in the stands dumbfounded that a coach remembered my son’s name, remembered that day, and knew what spending five minutes of his time with a kid could mean.”

Thanks, Jeff, for this wonderful story.

I’m asking myself as I write this, “What other college football coach would do such a thing?”, and the answer is, “Pretty much none.”

If anyone wonders why Mike Leach was and is so loved, they need only listen to the story of the coach and 11-year-old Jacksonsnap.ler.

Then we will all understand…

In a snap.

Last edited: