• The KillerFrogs

Major UConn donor demands return of $3 million

stell91

No, that's not correct. A donor making a tax-deductible charitable donation to a non-profit is nothing like an investor investing in a for-profit company to gain a personal return. The IRS has certain rules governing the making of, and claiming tax deductions for, charitable gifts. The rules come from three sources: 1) the Internal Revenue Code, 2) IRS Regulatory Rulings, 3) federal tax court rulings.

For a donation to qualify as charitable (making it tax-deductible), it must meet three cardinal standards:

• The donor must completely relinquish control of the money to the non-profit organization. The non-profit is required use the money for the general purpose for which it was donated, but the donor can have no ongoing say in the specifics of how the money is used. Example: You give $1 million to TCU for a scholarship. TCU is required to use that money for scholarship awards and cannot divert it to some other purpose. However, you as the donor cannot name specific individuals to receive scholarship awards. The IRS calls that "excessive donor control," which disqualifies the donation as charitable and therefore deductible. If that were legal, people could claim tax deductions simply for paying their kid's college bills and calling the payments "scholarship donations" with their own kid named as the recipient.
  • The donor can receive no goods, services, or undue influence in exchange for the donation. Goods and services is fairly clear-cut. "Undue influence" (which is equivalent to "excessive donor control") is a little dicier. All major donors have some degree of influence. How far may the influence extend before it becomes "undue"? The boundaries are a little fluid, but based on tax court precedent, it's certain that a donor expectation of ongoing influence over basic operating decisions like coaching hires and recruiting decisions is way over the line. Mr. Burton could be hearing from the IRS on this. Either he didn't consult his financial advisors, or he was poorly served by them.
  • The donor's gift must be irrevocable. That means he can't ask for his donation to be returned if he later gets ticked at the non-profit. Check that: He can ask, but the non-profit has no legal requirement to comply. If it did, the gift would not be irrevocable and therefore not charitable (according to the IRS). The purpose of this rule is pretty obvious: It prevents the exercise of "excessive donor control" and "undue influence" via the threat of charitable Indian-giving. Typically, when a non-profit returns a large donation, it does so voluntarily to avoid bad PR or to preserve donor good will. However, UConn is not legally required to return Mr. Burton's gift no matter how much he blusters and threatens. Since all potential good will with him is shot anyway, and since the negative PR is trending his direction rather than the university's, I'd tell Mr. Burton he can redirect the donation to some other UConn program if he likes, but UConn will not be returning the money. Of course he can sue if he likes – but you can sue practically anybody for practically anything. That doesn't guarantee a win in court. Suing and successfully suing are two very different things.

Yeah I'm fully aware that donating to a school and investing in a company are completely different things under the law.The principle, however, remains similar. An investor has control over the company in which he has bought stock. A donor (like the one here) has no direct control but has control over the money he chooses to donate and if the amount is large enough then he can exert pressure on the school to listen to him or consult him.

An investor has a legal right to control but a non-profit that needs money should still listen to the donor if they want donations to continue. Same basic principle.

Deep Purple

You cant blame him for wanting to provide insight in the coaching search. If you guys think that Malcom Louden doesnt lead that here then your crazy

No, people who think that aren't crazy, they're perfectly sane. Malcolm Louden has some influence in coaching hires all right, but it does not come from his athletic donations. It comes from his official service to TCU on the Board of Trustees, his past chairmanship of the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee of the Board, and his current membership on that committee. People who have given many times money more to TCU Athletics than him still have less influence because, unlike him, they don't serve the university in any official capacity. However, I'm pretty confident Malcolm would tell you that no matter what his influence, TCU doesn't always hire according to his preferences and he has been overruled more than once. In two cases I'm aware of, TCU even went so far as to bypass the opinions of all the big cigars and choose the candidate preferred by the student-athletes. One of those was Gary Patterson.

Deep Purple

Yeah I'm fully aware that donating to a school and investing in a company are completely different things under the law.The principle, however, remains similar. An investor has control over the company in which he has bought stock. A donor (like the one here) has no direct control but has control over the money he chooses to donate and if the amount is large enough then he can exert pressure on the school to listen to him or consult him.

An investor has a legal right to control but a non-profit that needs money should still listen to the donor if they want donations to continue. Same basic principle.

No, you're still not getting it. Corporate shareholders exert actual control over a for-profit company in proportion to the number of shares they hold. Charitable donors have absolutely no control over the non-profits they donate to. They may be accorded more attention based on a desire to preserve good will and keep the donations flowing, but that is entirely voluntary on the part of the non-profit (not regulated by a for-profit corporate charter) -- and that is influence, not control. Charitable donors who are more generous may be accorded greater influence, but they are never given actual control. To do so would jeopardize not only their charitable tax deduction, but the non-profit's tax-exempt status with the IRS.

Look, you're a college freshman attempting to school a guy who worked in the for-profit sector for 15 years and has worked in the non-profit sector for 16 years. That's longer than you've been alive. Trust me, the two worlds are almost completely different.

By the way, I don't mean any disrespect. College freshmen are not stupid, and they sometimes see things their elders have missed. But they can also be cocky and full of the "I'm invincible and bullet-proof" hubris that comes with youth. I had it too when I was your age. Some here say I still do. Deep Jr. ("Toadally Purple" on this board) is 23, and he definitely has it in spades.

TheSheik

No, you're still not getting it. Corporate shareholders exert actual control over a for-profit company in proportion to the number of shares they hold. Charitable donors have absolutely no control over the non-profits they donate to. They may be accorded more attention based on a desire to preserve good will and keep the donations flowing, but that is entirely voluntary on the part of the non-profit (not regulated by a for-profit corporate charter) -- and that is influence, not control. Charitable donors who are more generous may be accorded greater influence, but they are never given actual control. To do so would jeopardize not only their charitable tax deduction, but the non-profit's tax-exempt status with the IRS.

Look, you're a college freshman attempting to school a guy who worked in the for-profit sector for 15 years and has worked in the non-profit sector for 16 years. That's longer than you've been alive. Trust me, the two worlds are almost completely different.

By the way, I don't mean any disrespect. College freshmen are not stupid, and they sometimes see things their elders have missed. But they can also be cocky and full of the "I'm invincible and bullet-proof" hubris that comes with youth. I had it too when I was your age. Some here say I still do. Deep Jr. ("Toadally Purple" on this board) is 23, and he definitely has it in spades.

Did you even read his post? He said the investor has control and the donor does not have direct control

Well done patronizing the young lad though

michaelperrytcu

I think Werefrog was just using a simple analogy to say, generally speaking, that big donors should have a say in things. I think most would agree with him. No need to write a novel about it.

My complaint about Deep Purple

In contrast to my previous letters, I'm not planning on spending much space in this letter proving that Deep Purple got a little carried away with his wicked, pusillanimous effusions. Most people already seem to understand that. Instead, I'll be discussing Deep Purple's unbridled maneuvers and how Deep Purple uses them to preach a propaganda of hate. Unless you share my view that many of his sermons are seriously flawed, frequently fail to meet minimal standards of logic, and, on balance, are soporific, there's no need for you to hear me further. I have this advice to offer: The world has changed, Deep Purple; get used to it.

Not to belabor the point, but it may seem difficult at first to stand uncompromised in a world that's on the brink of Deep Purple-induced disaster. It is. But I am thoroughly shocked and angered by Deep Purple's quixotic improprieties. Such shameful conduct should never be repeated.

Where does the line get drawn? Deep Purple decries or dismisses capitalism, technology, industrialization, and systems of government borne of Enlightenment ideas about the dignity and freedom of human beings. These are the things that he fears because they are wedded to individual initiative and responsibility. He sometimes has trouble convincing people that space aliens are out to lay eggs in our innards or ooze their alien hell-slime all over us. When he has such trouble, he usually trots out a few devious, oleaginous skivers to constate authoritatively that Deep Purple's self-fulfilling prophecies won't be used for political retribution. Whether or not that trick of his works, it's still the case that when a mistake is made, the smart thing to do is to admit it and reverse course. That takes real courage. The way that Deep Purple stubbornly refuses to own up to his mistakes serves only to convince me that if he is going to talk about higher standards then he needs to live by those higher standards.

This is well illustrated in what remains one of the most divisive issues of our day: allotheism. I, hardheaded cynic that I am, cannot compromise with Deep Purple; he is without principles. I cannot reason with him; he is without reason. But I can warn him and with a warning he must truly take to heart: If I want to fall into the traps set for me by Deep Purple's hatchet men, that should be my prerogative. I don't need Deep Purple forcing me to.

Though I don't doubt the depth of Deep Purple's sentiments, it's rather the form of his expressions that I find both noisome and crapulous. Deep Purple is not interested in anyone else's opinion beyond having it serve as an impetus for setting his own jaws into motion. To say anything else would be a lie. Curiously, given the amount of misinformation that he is circulating, I must surely point out that he wants to cover up his criminal ineptitude. What's wrong with that? What's wrong is Deep Purple's gossamer grasp of reality. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a world without paltry twerps? According to the latest scientific evidence, instead of taking the easy path in life, the downward path, we must choose the upward path regardless of the pain, suffering, and sacrifice that this choice entails. Only then can we finally rub Deep Purple's nose in his own hypocrisy. Yes, Deep Purple will try to stop us by hurting others physically or emotionally, but once you understand his methods of interpretation, you have a responsibility to do something about them. To know, to understand, and not to act, is an egregious sin of omission. It is the sin of silence. It is the sin of letting Deep Purple declare martial law, suspend elections, and round up dissidents (i.e., anyone who does not buy his lie that our only chance of saving the planet is to accept unending regulations and straightjacket "reforms" from his cult followers).

I can reword my point as follows. Deep Purple's roorbacks are part of a larger attack on the very notion of meritocracy and quality. As my mother used to tell me, "Nothing offends Deep Purple more than the truth." Before you declare me pestiferous, let me assert that his viewpoints are atrabilious. They're unnecessary. They're counterproductive. Whenever I encounter them I think that Deep Purple's devotees claim to have no choice but to spread lies, propaganda, and misinformation. I wish there were some way to help these miserable, gutless, muzzy-headed scum. They are outcasts, lost in a world they didn't make and don't understand.

Deep Purple's claim that clever one-liners are a valid substitute for actual thinking is factually unsupported and politically motivated. One could imagine that some good might come from letting Deep Purple scrap the notion of national sovereignty. But the only one whose imagination is vivid enough is Deep Purple. Gnosticism has served as the justification for the butchering, torture, and enslavement of more people than any other "ism". That's why it's Deep Purple's favorite; it makes it easy for him to leave a large part of this country's workforce dislocated and disillusioned.

All right, enough of that. Now let's talk about something else. Let's talk about how when uttered by Deep Purple, the word "global", as in "global spread of colonialism", implies, "It's not my fault". In reality, we'd unquestionably have a lot less colonialism if he would just stop creating an intimidating, hostile, and demeaning environment. Surely, the good Lord must have wept when He saw him effect complete and total control over every human being on the planet. If you can make any sense out his destructive dissertations then you must have gotten higher marks in school than I did.

That's a very important point; the worst classes of nerdy, ill-natured loonies there are must be treated with political justice, not with civil justice, as they are indubitably not real citizens. To pretend otherwise is nothing but hypocrisy and unwillingness to face the more unpleasant realities of life. I claim it's important to continue discussing this even after I've made my point because this is a free country, and I warrant we ought to keep it that way.

Isn't it odd that otiose lounge lizards, whose morally questionable lifestyle will silence critical debate and squelch creative brainstorming in a matter of days, are immune from censure? Why is that? All I can do now is give you a bare-bones answer and then let you dig into it yourself. To understand the basic answer you need to realize that my goal is to get Deep Purple to realize that some of his former underlings say they were willing to help him fabricate all sorts of xenophobic, ad hoc rules and regulations because Deep Purple convinced them that they were part of a historic mission to save the world from a puerile global conspiracy—a belief they now reject as wild. Of course, if Deep Purple insists on remaining an ignorant, uninformed, and ill-informed pamphleteer, that's his prerogative. You may detect disapproval and anger in my writing when I state that he reports the news selectively in order to advance his agenda. That disapproval and anger exists primarily because Deep Purple's general prostration before Dadaism confirms that his favorite activities include cheating, lying, and tricking people into believing that advertising is the most veridical form of human communication. Have you noticed that that hasn't been covered at all by the mainstream media? Maybe they're afraid that Deep Purple will retaliate by blacklisting his rivals as terrorist sympathizers or traitors. In short, Deep Purple's thralls mistake incoherence for sense and think profound anything that is whiney or silly. What you really need to do to be convinced of that, however, is to study the matter for yourself. I'll be happy to send you enough facts to get you started. Just write to me.

BabyFace, once again, I find disappointment. Once again, I find no satisfaction. Once again, I find that sexist vandals tend to dismiss reason, science, and objective reality. But first, let me pose you a question: Is Deep Purple actually concerned about any of us or does he just want to supplant national heroes with appalling worrywarts? After reading this, you'll definitely find it's the latter. Was he just trying to be cute when he said that undiscoverable, unmeasurable, magical forces from another plane of existence have given him superhuman wisdom? I sure hope so because his ebullitions are indistinguishable from the ones he condemns. Please re-read and memorize that sentence if you still believe that Deep Purple's diatribes will spread enlightenment to the masses, nurture democracy, reestablish the bonds of community, bring us closer to God, and generally work to the betterment of Man and society.

What we're involved in with Deep Purple is not a game. It's the most serious possible business, and every serious person—every person with any shred of a sense of responsibility—must concern himself with it. I find it necessary, if I am to meet my reader on something like a common ground of understanding, to point out that even if one is opposed to loud autism (as I am) then, surely, he would not hesitate to disparage and ridicule our traditional heroes and role models if he felt he could benefit from doing so. One final point: I appear to have gotten ahead of myself here.

I don't find that particularly funny. Autism is real.

Regardless, I wanted to respond to Deep Purple privately earlier, Shiek, but I was so busy, I simply did not have the time. Nevertheless, what I need to say is so important, I knew I simply had to allocate a few minutes to write a brief letter on the subject. It is worth noting at the outset that Deep Purple has so frequently lied about how he is God's representative on Earth that some weaker-minded people are starting to believe it. We need to explain to such people that relative to just a few years ago, lamebrained, unprofessional traitors are nearly ten times as likely to believe that the sun rises just for Deep Purple. This is neither a coincidence nor simply a sign of the times. Rather, it reflects a sophisticated, psychological warfare program designed by Deep Purple to reopen wounds that seem scarcely healed. Only a fool can believe that profits come before people. That said, let me continue. Let me close by reminding you that Deep Purple's flimflams are tinctured with ruffianism.

tcujsauce

Are you implying the UConn football players are Scott's Tots?

Office_scott%27s_tots.jpg

Well played, good sir!

sdhusky

believe it or not, this is all because PP didn't make Burton's son captain when he played at SU.

He was so pissed, he stopped funding SU football and starting funding UCONN football.

So, you can imagine why he uses terms like "slap in the face" when they hired the guy he despises.

Not much different that the dad at little league who holds a grudge against the coach because he won't play little johnny at pitcher.

TCUFrogs

His total contributions to Oklahoma State University are ~ $450 million, for what it's worth.

In comparison, Phil Knight has donated ~250 million (personal funds, granted) to the University of Oregon.

Well that sure sounds like considerably more than $7 Million to me....

Deep Purple

My complaint about Deep Purple

In contrast to my previous letters, I'm not planning on spending much space in this letter proving that Deep Purple got a little carried away with his wicked, pusillanimous effusions. Most people already seem to understand that. Instead, I'll be discussing Deep Purple's unbridled maneuvers and how Deep Purple uses them to preach a propaganda of hate. Unless you share my view that many of his sermons are seriously flawed, frequently fail to meet minimal standards of logic, and, on balance, are soporific, there's no need for you to hear me further. I have this advice to offer: The world has changed, Deep Purple; get used to it.

Not to belabor the point, but it may seem difficult at first to stand uncompromised in a world that's on the brink of Deep Purple-induced disaster. It is. But I am thoroughly shocked and angered by Deep Purple's quixotic improprieties. Such shameful conduct should never be repeated.

Where does the line get drawn? Deep Purple decries or dismisses capitalism, technology, industrialization, and systems of government borne of Enlightenment ideas about the dignity and freedom of human beings. These are the things that he fears because they are wedded to individual initiative and responsibility. He sometimes has trouble convincing people that space aliens are out to lay eggs in our innards or ooze their alien hell-slime all over us. When he has such trouble, he usually trots out a few devious, oleaginous skivers to constate authoritatively that Deep Purple's self-fulfilling prophecies won't be used for political retribution. Whether or not that trick of his works, it's still the case that when a mistake is made, the smart thing to do is to admit it and reverse course. That takes real courage. The way that Deep Purple stubbornly refuses to own up to his mistakes serves only to convince me that if he is going to talk about higher standards then he needs to live by those higher standards.

This is well illustrated in what remains one of the most divisive issues of our day: allotheism. I, hardheaded cynic that I am, cannot compromise with Deep Purple; he is without principles. I cannot reason with him; he is without reason. But I can warn him and with a warning he must truly take to heart: If I want to fall into the traps set for me by Deep Purple's hatchet men, that should be my prerogative. I don't need Deep Purple forcing me to.

Though I don't doubt the depth of Deep Purple's sentiments, it's rather the form of his expressions that I find both noisome and crapulous. Deep Purple is not interested in anyone else's opinion beyond having it serve as an impetus for setting his own jaws into motion. To say anything else would be a lie. Curiously, given the amount of misinformation that he is circulating, I must surely point out that he wants to cover up his criminal ineptitude. What's wrong with that? What's wrong is Deep Purple's gossamer grasp of reality. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a world without paltry twerps? According to the latest scientific evidence, instead of taking the easy path in life, the downward path, we must choose the upward path regardless of the pain, suffering, and sacrifice that this choice entails. Only then can we finally rub Deep Purple's nose in his own hypocrisy. Yes, Deep Purple will try to stop us by hurting others physically or emotionally, but once you understand his methods of interpretation, you have a responsibility to do something about them. To know, to understand, and not to act, is an egregious sin of omission. It is the sin of silence. It is the sin of letting Deep Purple declare martial law, suspend elections, and round up dissidents (i.e., anyone who does not buy his lie that our only chance of saving the planet is to accept unending regulations and straightjacket "reforms" from his cult followers).

I can reword my point as follows. Deep Purple's roorbacks are part of a larger attack on the very notion of meritocracy and quality. As my mother used to tell me, "Nothing offends Deep Purple more than the truth." Before you declare me pestiferous, let me assert that his viewpoints are atrabilious. They're unnecessary. They're counterproductive. Whenever I encounter them I think that Deep Purple's devotees claim to have no choice but to spread lies, propaganda, and misinformation. I wish there were some way to help these miserable, gutless, muzzy-headed scum. They are outcasts, lost in a world they didn't make and don't understand.

Deep Purple's claim that clever one-liners are a valid substitute for actual thinking is factually unsupported and politically motivated. One could imagine that some good might come from letting Deep Purple scrap the notion of national sovereignty. But the only one whose imagination is vivid enough is Deep Purple. Gnosticism has served as the justification for the butchering, torture, and enslavement of more people than any other "ism". That's why it's Deep Purple's favorite; it makes it easy for him to leave a large part of this country's workforce dislocated and disillusioned.

All right, enough of that. Now let's talk about something else. Let's talk about how when uttered by Deep Purple, the word "global", as in "global spread of colonialism", implies, "It's not my fault". In reality, we'd unquestionably have a lot less colonialism if he would just stop creating an intimidating, hostile, and demeaning environment. Surely, the good Lord must have wept when He saw him effect complete and total control over every human being on the planet. If you can make any sense out his destructive dissertations then you must have gotten higher marks in school than I did.

That's a very important point; the worst classes of nerdy, ill-natured loonies there are must be treated with political justice, not with civil justice, as they are indubitably not real citizens. To pretend otherwise is nothing but hypocrisy and unwillingness to face the more unpleasant realities of life. I claim it's important to continue discussing this even after I've made my point because this is a free country, and I warrant we ought to keep it that way.

Isn't it odd that otiose lounge lizards, whose morally questionable lifestyle will silence critical debate and squelch creative brainstorming in a matter of days, are immune from censure? Why is that? All I can do now is give you a bare-bones answer and then let you dig into it yourself. To understand the basic answer you need to realize that my goal is to get Deep Purple to realize that some of his former underlings say they were willing to help him fabricate all sorts of xenophobic, ad hoc rules and regulations because Deep Purple convinced them that they were part of a historic mission to save the world from a puerile global conspiracy—a belief they now reject as wild. Of course, if Deep Purple insists on remaining an ignorant, uninformed, and ill-informed pamphleteer, that's his prerogative. You may detect disapproval and anger in my writing when I state that he reports the news selectively in order to advance his agenda. That disapproval and anger exists primarily because Deep Purple's general prostration before Dadaism confirms that his favorite activities include cheating, lying, and tricking people into believing that advertising is the most veridical form of human communication. Have you noticed that that hasn't been covered at all by the mainstream media? Maybe they're afraid that Deep Purple will retaliate by blacklisting his rivals as terrorist sympathizers or traitors. In short, Deep Purple's thralls mistake incoherence for sense and think profound anything that is whiney or silly. What you really need to do to be convinced of that, however, is to study the matter for yourself. I'll be happy to send you enough facts to get you started. Just write to me.

You're wrong on all counts. But I had fun anyway. :biggrin:

Latest posts