• The KillerFrogs

Major UConn donor demands return of $3 million

Texas Otto

:wacko: Burton cites disagreements with athletic director; also wants name removed from football complex

Robert G. Burton wants UConn to give him his $3 million back.

Burton gave the money to the University of Connecticut to build the Burton Family Football Complex in Storrs. Now, citing disagreements with the school's athletic director and a desire to be consulted about the new football coach, he wants that donation returned and his family's name taken off the facility altogether.

Donor demands return of $3 million

RaiderHater

I can't believe this guy. Why does he think that he should have the say in who Uconn's new coach is because he donated money. I beleive he is a CEO of a paper company, what does that have to do with college athletics.

BABYFACE

The d*ckweed is not going to get his money back. They built the facility with his lead gift and they cannot unbuild it. He should know better. He can request to have his name removed and withdraw from his suite and tickets and not make any future donations.

I don't see him having a legal case here if he sues since the bulding was built for what his donation was intended for and now wants it back because the AD didn't keep him in the loop on the hiring process of the new HC. What a numbskull. As for the AD, from the article it appears he screwed the pooch by not keeping a major donor somewhat happy and in the loop.

froginaustin

That's certainly the way the major donor wants the story told.

My uninformed guess is that the donor either (a) no longer has the resources available to keep the philanthropic promises he made, or (b) wants to control the athletic director's office for reasons of his ego.

Oh well. Isn't there a Will Rogers aphorism that goes something like--

"Everything's funny when it happens to somebody else."?

froginaustin

Cranky letter from Mr. Burton to UConn AD:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-robert-burton-html,0,6324103.htmlpage

YA

He is no doubt going to lose the PR war on this--he comes across as an arrogant p.

Good luck getting the money back as I doubt that will ever happen.

BIG DADDY

You cant blame him for wanting to provide insight in the coaching search. If you guys think that Malcom Louden doesnt lead that here then your crazy. Every major university has one.

roddog

Banned
He is no doubt going to lose the PR war on this--he comes across as an arrogant p.

hes going to lose pr, but why wouldnt you at least try and make him happy

kinda reminds me of the craig james situation where daddy was always meddling into leaches affairs, at least this dude donated a ton of money to the school