• The KillerFrogs

Hurricane

SnoSki

Just got this text from my mom...

"The army corps of engineers has decided to do a controlled release of water from the two huge reservoirs on the west of town, starting tonight. It will flood several thousand houses around them and will add flooding to Buffalo Bayou and downtown. They are worried that the reservoirs can't hold otherwise. I went to a lecture recently by the head of the corps stationed here. He said that if these reservoirs broke it would be by far the worst disaster ever in the US, literally resulting in tens of thousands of deaths. So I accept his decision but it will add to our current flooding."

Wow. No-win situation here. Hoping you and your family are doing well, all things considering.

Thinking strongly about heading down to be with my mom in Conroe/Willis. Wouldn't worry about it but now that she's a widow it worries me.

netty2424

"The army corps of engineers has decided to do a controlled release of water from the two huge reservoirs on the west of town, starting tonight. It will flood several thousand houses around them and will add flooding to Buffalo Bayou and downtown. They are worried that the reservoirs can't hold otherwise. I went to a lecture recently by the head of the corps stationed here. He said that if these reservoirs broke it would be by far the worst disaster ever in the US, literally resulting in tens of thousands of deaths. So I accept his decision but it will add to our current flooding."
Maybe I missed a post about your parents home, but does your mom mean her house is currently flooded? Or will this flood her house?

Hoping neither is the case.

BABYFACE

Wow. No-win situation here. Hoping you and your family are doing well, all things considering.

Thinking strongly about heading down to be with my mom in Conroe/Willis. Wouldn't worry about it but now that she's a widow it worries me.

Probably not best thing to do. But if you have to go down there, bring your mom back to FTW, don't stay. Remember, you got a wife to come back to.

Ron Swanson

Maybe I missed a post about your parents home, but does your mom mean her house is currently flooded? Or will this flood her house?

Hoping neither is the case.
My parents house has not flooded as of yet and neither has mine or my sister's. The house I am supposed to buy on Thursday has not flooded yet either as far as I know... a friend lives 2 blocks away from it (slightly closer to the bayou than mine) and she told me today that they had water up to their front porch and then it receded down to the curb.

If we get the inches of rain that some meteorologists are projecting over the coming days though, I highly doubt all of us will come out unscathed. We've been lucky so far and we're hoping these rain bands miss us.

Westsider

My daughter is supposed to close Tuesday on a house between the Addicks Dam and Buffalo Bayou and has already spent some time with her neighbors-to-be. Man, there's so many people in harm's way all over Houston and surrounding areas. I hope everything goes well for your mom.

Mean Purple

Buddy that lives down in The Woodlands and from Conroe said they released the lake dam that's runs straight to the river the runs through Conroe. Doesn't look good anytime soon
It's getting pretty messy. Inverness Forest has a section that could be in trouble. Heard from family. They are urging evacuation.

Folks we know in Rockport and Port A got out ahead of time.

Mean Purple

Ron, we heard word of the controlled release from a family member. Prayers for all.

Mean Purple

Honestly I'm gonna be so screwed by bad weather one day. I never believe the media when it comes to bad storms anymore especially when they start throwing around terms like devastation and horror and then show me nothing but a few downed trees and tiles off of roofs.

It's gonna bite me in the butt one day I'm sure.

I have long lived by the rule that, even if it does not play out like the weather guys says, oh, well, I got a few days away. After dealing with two big twisters, if I am getting a days warning, I'm gone. I had to go to the impact zone after Ike. Convinced me that even a cat 1, heck, a tropical storm, is nothing to mess with.

Some things you don't unsee.

Chongo94

I have long lived by the rule that, even if it does not play out like the weather guys says, oh, well, I got a few days away. After dealing with two big twisters, if I am getting a days warning, I'm gone. I had to go to the impact zone after Ike. Convinced me that even a cat 1, heck, a tropical storm, is nothing to mess with.

Some things you don't unsee.

Had I that same experience I'm sure I'd think the same. The power of weather is just incomprehensible at times.

Chongo94

My parents house has not flooded as of yet and neither has mine or my sister's. The house I am supposed to buy on Thursday has not flooded yet either as far as I know... a friend lives 2 blocks away from it (slightly closer to the bayou than mine) and she told me today that they had water up to their front porch and then it receded down to the curb.

If we get the inches of rain that some meteorologists are projecting over the coming days though, I highly doubt all of us will come out unscathed. We've been lucky so far and we're hoping these rain bands miss us.

Would sand bags help at all Ron or is that just a fools errand at this point due to the amount of water or rise or whatever? I haven't seen many sandbags around places in the pictures I've seen and I thought or assumed those were always somewhat useful.

Ron Swanson

Would sand bags help at all Ron or is that just a fools errand at this point due to the amount of water or rise or whatever? I haven't seen many sandbags around places in the pictures I've seen and I thought or assumed those were always somewhat useful.
I honestly don't know. I think those help a little when you're house is on the brink of flooding and can slow things down a bit. I've never had to be involved with them so I am not sure their effectiveness.

Below is the first good news I've seen in quite some time...

https://spacecityweather.com/early-monday-morning-harvey-forecast-update/

Also, I talked to my hopefully-new-future-neighbor and she said that the rain stopped overnight and the street is back to looking almost normal (for the time being). So I'm hopeful about that situation.

We hadn't heard from my little brother since the flooding started, but he finally responded this morning to a FB message saying he was alright. He just moved into a new apartment and they are stranded in it until the waters recede. They don't have any flood water in their place or anything, but they can't go anywhere. I'm sure they have a ton of beer though and are having a blast.

f_399

What happens to these homes with almost their whole first floor flooded?

Are these home salvageable? You would think everything but the foundation may have to be replaced? Are the interior frames(wood) still good?

BABYFACE

What happens to these homes with almost their whole first floor flooded?

Are these home salvageable? You would think everything but the foundation may have to be replaced? Are the interior frames(wood) still good?

Depends. You obviously go down to the studs in the walls. Bleach water does pretty good on cleaning up the frame work. Sealing the wood framing with Kilz will prevent any mold setting in even though the bleach water took care of that.