• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

tcudoc

He finished the test in 1 minute 43 seconds.
Reminds me of high school when we took the SAT. The proctor read the instructions which stated that leaving a question blank if you had no idea what the answer was could count against you less than marking an incorrect answer (if you were completely guessing) and that, in certain situations, leaving one blank may be better than guessing if you really had no idea what the correct answer was. When time was called for the exam, I glanced behind me to look at a friend. He had taken this advice to heart and had left about half of the exam answers blank. He parlayed that strategy into, I think, a 600 on the SAT.

MTfrog5

And I’m home already. It’s almost impossible to drive in Tyler right now. If you have ever been here the entire loop and Broadway is a sheet of ice. Police are closing different sections and side roads off the loop 323. People stuck at intersections because they can’t get any type of traction. City did nothing to prepare the roads. My boss is stuck as well so I guess that’s good since he was making everyone come in

Ron Swanson

And I’m home already. It’s almost impossible to drive in Tyler right now. If you have ever been here the entire loop and Broadway is a sheet of ice. Police are closing different sections and side roads off the loop 323. People stuck at intersections because they can’t get any type of traction. City did nothing to prepare the roads. My boss is stuck as well so I guess that’s good since he was making everyone come in
People from up north don’t understand the whole ice day thing. We don’t have the infrastructure down here to deal with wet freezing temperatures. If you’ve ever tried to drive on roads in the south when it’s icy, it’s impossible. I remember in college trying to drive up the hill on Trail Lake just north of I-20 to go get some Wendy’s, and my truck just started sliding backwards. I had to parallel park while sliding. Got real lucky I didn’t run into anything.

Side note: i just inherited San Antonio as part of my sales territory and I was supposed to drive there this morning to visit my new customers for the next three days. I had spent a ton of time setting up appointments and I had to cancel last minute. Everyone understood though because they all shut down in SA as well.

MTfrog5

People from up north don’t understand the whole ice day thing. We don’t have the infrastructure down here to deal with wet freezing temperatures. If you’ve ever tried to drive on roads in the south when it’s icy, it’s impossible. I remember in college trying to drive up the hill on Trail Lake just north of I-20 to go get some Wendy’s, and my truck just started sliding backwards. I had to parallel park while sliding. Got real lucky I didn’t run into anything.

Side note: i just inherited San Antonio as part of my sales territory and I was supposed to drive there this morning to visit my new customers for the next three days. I had spent a ton of time setting up appointments and I had to cancel last minute. Everyone understood though because they all shut down in SA as well.
Yup driving on snow is a lot different from ice. Also very rarely do you see the pileups down south like you do up north during winter weather with all of them great winter drivers.

Horny 4 Life

I agree that y'all don't have the necessary treatment equipment and supplies. However, it's not impossible, it's just that y'all don't know how to drive in anything resembling bad weather (including heavy rain).

I drove from El Paso to Dallas during a heavy ice storm a couple years ago. They closed down the highway in El Paso right after we left and there wasn't a rest stop or gas station with an available parking space until Weatherford. I'm relatively certain I drove on black ice from Horizon City to Eastland. It was no problem for me, but all the idiots in their mustangs and pickups with bald tires kept slowing traffic. The drive took us over 17 hours.

It was particularly amusing watching a guy try to gun it up something that passed as a hill on the access road in Midland or Odessa. He couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting anywhere and he just kept trying to drive faster until he ended up in the ditch.

I fully acknowledge that watching y'all deal with winter weather is how y'all feel about watching us Northerners deal with temps above 90 degrees. It's still funny to me though.

Ron Swanson

I agree that y'all don't have the necessary treatment equipment and supplies. However, it's not impossible, it's just that y'all don't know how to drive in anything resembling bad weather (including heavy rain).

I drove from El Paso to Dallas during a heavy ice storm a couple years ago. They closed down the highway in El Paso right after we left and there wasn't a rest stop or gas station with an available parking space until Weatherford. I'm relatively certain I drove on black ice from Horizon City to Eastland. It was no problem for me, but all the idiots in their mustangs and pickups with bald tires kept slowing traffic. The drive took us over 17 hours.

It was particularly amusing watching a guy try to gun it up something that passed as a hill on the access road in Midland or Odessa. He couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting anywhere and he just kept trying to drive faster until he ended up in the ditch.

I fully acknowledge that watching y'all deal with winter weather is how y'all feel about watching us Northerners deal with temps above 90 degrees. It's still funny to me though.
Pretty sure that “black ice” you thought you were masterfully-driving on was asphalt.

ShadowFrog

Moderators

True.
Jan ‘85 I was in SA for USAF Basic and it snowed. Whole city went ape poop. Even military had no contingency for operating in snow/ice. Trainees were ordered to walk, Not march, on crunchy grass instead of slick sidewalks, graduated flights (forcibly) kept on base 3-4 extra days due to airport/road closures, local news said it was a 100 year event. Flash forward 4 years and I’m back at Lackland for OTS...and it snowed February 89. The locals were looking to lynch some scapegoat. I quietly slinked outta town in March with my gold bar.

GeoFrog

Maybe not being able to tell the difference is why your truck was sliding backwards down the hill instead of parked at the top of it.

Couple of tips I learned growing-up in the Panhandle with Ice and Snow conditions:
1. 4WD doesn't mean you "4W-stop" when you need to put on the brakes
2. If you are driving a pickup, you need weight in the bed. Many pick-ups drive around with hay bails in the bed of their truck all winter.

Some of my fondest memories from my youth were jacking around in the ice and snow when they closed school. I remember my brother had a Beretta GT. We took it to a big vacant parking lot on a day that they closed school because of ice. That lot was one big ice rink. My brother got up to about 50 mph and threw on the emergency brake. I don't know how many revolutions we skidded, but it had to be 10+.

Sand Frog

Couple of tips I learned growing-up in the Panhandle with Ice and Snow conditions:
2. If you are driving a pickup, you need weight in the bed. Many pick-ups drive around with hay bails in the bed of their truck all winter.

Some of my fondest memories from my youth were jacking around in the ice and snow when they closed school. I remember my brother had a Beretta GT. We took it to a big vacant parking lot on a day that they closed school because of ice. That lot was one big ice rink. My brother got up to about 50 mph and threw on the emergency brake. I don't know how many revolutions we skidded, but it had to be 10+.

I forget when that last big icestorm hit, but I remember I-20 just past Bryant Irving being a parking lot full of big rigs that were running out of fuel. Had it not been for my wife I was about to unload the airboat in my front yard and drive down the median delivering food/water. I thought it would be awesome for Chopper 5 to race me down I-20. My wife not so much. LOL

Horny 4 Life

Yeah, we always put tractor weights and hay bales in the bed of the pickup with a bag of salt and a bucket of road cinders.

Horny 4 Life

Thought inspired by Bruce's post:

Those of you in the 30-40 age range, do y'all recall the "colorblind" psa's while growing up? I recall being taught that a big part of the "answer" to racism was to not see color but to view everyone as equals.

Am I completely making that up or does anybody else recall that in after-school programming and even in-school teaching?

Thought inspired by Bruce's post:

Those of you in the 30-40 age range, do y'all recall the "colorblind" psa's while growing up? I recall being taught that a big part of the "answer" to racism was to not see color but to view everyone as equals.

Am I completely making that up or does anybody else recall that in after-school programming and even in-school teaching?

Did you see that on a Scott Baio after-school special?