• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone heard this story re: CVB?

HToady

Excellent. Now I know who to call first when I am awakened by students partying in my neighborhood late Fri. and Sat nights!

BABYFACE

i wouldnt worry about that, anybody exploiting someone with an drug or alcohol problem is a piece of crap anyway, neither is a laughing manner, im sure some of these kids are under extreme pressure but it seems that tcu is doing something positive about it!

Rod, quit making sensible posts. I am not used to it and it is making me uncomfortable.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
Is true. Saw it with my own eyes.
I've been a staff member for over ten years.
There has been no memo/e-mail from CVB regarding drinking, period. Ever. It's not true. Unless he sent it to every staff member but me.
I wonder if Deep Purple received it?
If you saw it, it certainly couldn't be that difficult to show it to the rest of us.

I've been a staff member for over ten years.
There has been no memo/e-mail from CVB regarding drinking, period. Ever. It's not true. Unless he sent it to every staff member but me.
I wonder if Deep Purple received it?
If you saw it, it certainly couldn't be that difficult to show it to the rest of us.

I don't know what to tell you, man. If you don't remember seeing it, I can't help you. The relative of mine has worked at TCU for 26 years. I'll see if I can figure out how to post it on here.

InterestedObserver

Excellent. Now I know who to call first when I am awakened by students partying in my neighborhood late Fri. and Sat nights!

Do you live on Rogers? I received this email just a little while ago from the Tanglewood Neighbor Association. Seems the FWPD are on high alert. Here is what I received:

On 02-17-12 the Police were called to the 3500 block of Rogers Ave on a person with a weapon call.

Upon arrival the Officers on the scene observed a huge party at the residence.

Officers conducted an investigation and 11 people were cited for Consumption of Alcohol by a minor and the three residents were arrested for providing Alcohol to Minors and were taken to jail. Total arrests were 14.

All were TCU students.

During their investigation the Officers observed several items of drug paraphernalia throughout the house.

HickoryFlameFrog

What ever you think about drugs; marijuana, alcohol, etc. most have legal restrictions concerning their use. Breaking the law has consequences. No matter many times you break the law, but don't get caught you are still breaking the law and when you get caught and receive the consequences don't b&m.

None of us live in isolation and our actions affect those around us. Making excuses for illegal behavior, such as saying kids will be kids, is not being a responsible adult. Some adults by their station in life have more responsibility.

If you want to break the law and advocate that doing so is justified because you don't agree with the law that is a choice you make, irresponsibly.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Do you live on Rogers? I received this email just a little while ago from the Tanglewood Neighbor Association. Seems the FWPD are on high alert. Here is what I received:

On 02-17-12 the Police were called to the 3500 block of Rogers Ave on a person with a weapon call.

Officers conducted an investigation and 11 people were cited for Consumption of Alcohol by a minor and the three residents were arrested for providing Alcohol to Minors and were taken to jail. Total arrests were 14.

All were TCU students.

During their investigation the Officers observed several items of drug paraphernalia throughout the house.

They think citations are arrests?

ChrisHulce

InterestedObserver said:

All were TCU students.

Even the Tanglewood Neighbor Association seems to be sensationalizing things - 11 cited and 3 arrests doesn't equal 14 arrests. Maybe they left something out.

InterestedObserver

Even the Tanglewood Neighbor Association seems to be sensationalizing things - 11 cited and 3 arrests doesn't equal 14 arrests. Maybe they left something out.

Most of these types of emails the TNA forwards out originate from the NPO or someone else from the FWPD. With this one, the email-string is cut off, so I don't know if that's the case, but it reads much like most of them I receive.

I had the same thoughts. If they actually took kids to jail for MIP's, the jail is going to be very full. Also, how did they know all were TCU students? Is FWPD checking student ID's now?

Regardless, sensationalism seems to be everywhere right now.

roddog

Banned
Some adults by their station in life have more responsibility.

like having kids, your right, your post is spot on!

so fw pd and the community protectors are overdoing things right now, well here is an idea, dont break the law people, id rather see thing overdone than them doing nothing

i dont agree with the overdoing, but it sure doesnt seem like pissing off the campus or fw pd is the smartest thing to do right now!

Frog-in-law1995

They think citations are arrests?
A citation is an arrest, but for a charge so minor that you usually aren't taken into custody and booked. Instead of requiring you to post bond to ensure your appearance in court, your promise to appear (by signing the citation) is enough of a guarantee. However, you can be taken into custody for any offense (except speeding and open container, if you sign the promise).

roddog

Banned
However, you can be taken into custody for any offense (except speeding and open container, if you sign the promise).
[/quote]

i think they can arrest you if you are going a certain amount over the limit, i think its 25 mph

hfrogs10

So I heard from a TCU employee yesterday (a relative of mine) that CVB apparently got serious about putting an end to alcohol on campus. So much so, he sent a memo to TCU staff telling them that if they are at a restaurant or bar, and they are drinking alcohol and see a student walk in, they are to cease drinking alcohol (or leave the establishment).

Seriously? How in the hell would a TCU employee know if a student walks in?

After hearing this - and the media production from this week - I'm starting to think we have a VERY paranoid chancellor.

I think that has been a rule all along. They don't want faculty and students drinking in the same location, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Also, I am betting he is referring to when the faculty knows the student, such as from class etc. I doubt he is asking faculty to leave a restaurant where they are having a glass of wine just based on suspicion that some young looking person may be a TCU student.

VCB isn't that paranoid about it unless he is just completely changes his stance. Seniors get their purple margarita party and there are a number of other on campus functions where students and faculty both drink, as long it is responsible. I've had dinner at a mutual family friend's house where CVB and some students were and both the adults and students there had wine with dinner, so I am doubtful that he is that opposed to it, unless he has radically changed his opinion.

ChrisHulce

Frog-in-law1995 said:
A citation is an arrest, but for a charge so minor that you usually aren't taken into custody and booked. Instead of requiring you to post bond to ensure your appearance in court, your promise to appear (by signing the citation) is enough of a guarantee. However, you can be taken into custody for any offense (except speeding and open container, if you sign the promise).

Everything I'm seeing says a citation is given in leiu of an arrest ... not that a citation is an arrest. Arrest in terms of what most people receive is being taken into custody. I still think it's sensationalism. Every underage kid in house, where alcohol is readily accessible and being consumed, can be cited for MIPS.

There are many tcu staff and faculty on this site. This memo would be very easy to produce (and I doubt there are memo's any longer what is this 1968?) and so far we haven't seen it or an e-mail to a similar affect. I have serious doubts this has happened.

The faculty and staff handbook can be found on the TCU website. That is the official policy for the university staff. Anything else said here is idle speculation. I think everyone has handled this fairly well (that mistaken ID on the warrant is a real anomaly though - I read how it happened, but it seems to be pretty sloppy).

I'm for thoughtful legalization of some currently illegal drugs, but in the meantime FWPD, TCU PD, and TCU admin were clearly making a statement about dealing on campus. And if you are dealing to an under cover cop, you are probably a dealer. If you are just sharing the cost of "Dro" with your friends, you don't find yourself being entrapped into selling to a stranger. Facts could change, but many that are claiming the administration is over reacting appear to be over reacting themselves. This story does not appear to have any legs. It is going away.

researchfrog

I think that has been a rule all along. They don't want faculty and students drinking in the same location, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Also, I am betting he is referring to when the faculty knows the student, such as from class etc. I doubt he is asking faculty to leave a restaurant where they are having a glass of wine just based on suspicion that some young looking person may be a TCU student.

I remember that being the rule back in 2001, when Koehler walked into Fishmongers where some profs and I were drinking together. We all thought it was cool that he didn't say anything.

weklfrog

The rule is that students, even grad students over the age of 21, cannot attend a party or function with professors when alcohol is being served. If a professor holds a party where alcohol is served, students cannot be invited. I believe the rule also applies to having functions at public places such as restaurants. However, I cannot imagine it would apply to a student being in the same restaurant as a prof or professional level staff if they are not at the same table or the same function. For example, if staff from our office went out to a restaurant to celebrate something and there was going to be alcohol served, we could not invite students to the function. However, if a student happened to be at the restaurant and sitting at a different table and was not part of the function, it would not be a problem.