• The KillerFrogs

Hanging on to #4

netty2424

Sometimes teams control their own fate based on who they play in OOC, it’s not just because they are “blue bloods”. Blue bloods tend to schedule more aggressively than others, that’s just a fact (although there are exceptions). We’ll control our own fate next year with one loss if OSU ends up being one of the top couple teams in the Big 10.

For what it’s worth, Notre Dame never plays FCS teams and generally schedules very well. Ohio State played a conference champ last year in OOC and this year too possibly. Clemson played Auburn, who just beat Arkansas by 30 points. We played Arkansas, who is crapping the bed. That stuff matters.

I still think there’s a really good chance the Frogs make it with one loss as long as we don’t get blown out and we’ll have to win the CCG game of course Despite what many of the talking heads are saying now.

No and no. TCU loses, we are out.

End.of.story.

Wexahu

blue bloods in playoff = (assumed) high TV ratings = max espn revenue = max conference payouts = happy college presidents

So when our coaches sit down with recruits who are considering TCU, Texas, Oklahoma or Ohio State and they want to win a national championship, what is GP supposed to tell them when they see that the vast majority of our fan base thinks we have basically no chance because we’re TCU?

Seriously, this kind of mindset does ourselves no favors. I would bet our coaches hate it.

netty2424

So when our coaches sit down with recruits who are considering TCU, Texas, Oklahoma or Ohio State and they want to win a national championship, what is GP supposed to tell them when they see that the vast majority of our fan base thinks we have basically no chance because we’re TCU?

Seriously, this kind of mindset does ourselves no favors. I would bet our coaches hate it.
Um you are actually the one supporting the current system, the system that is broken. 99.9999% of everyone else, outside of the blue bloods are trying to correct the system to be more fair and less subjective.

Dogfrog

It’s not my mindset, it’s yours. You are the one apologizing for and supporting this BS.

cdsfrog

Sometimes teams control their own fate based on who they play in OOC, it’s not just because they are “blue bloods”. Blue bloods tend to schedule more aggressively than others, that’s just a fact (although there are exceptions). We’ll control our own fate next year with one loss if OSU ends up being one of the top couple teams in the Big 10.

For what it’s worth, Notre Dame never plays FCS teams and generally schedules very well. Ohio State played a conference champ last year in OOC and this year too possibly. Clemson played Auburn, who just beat Arkansas by 30 points. We played Arkansas, who is crapping the bed. That stuff matters.

I still think there’s a really good chance the Frogs make it with one loss as long as we don’t get blown out and we’ll have to win the CCG game of course Despite what many of the talking heads are saying now.

If you lose, understand no circumstance should you EVER control your own destiny half way through the season. Yet [ Craig James]s like this piece of [ Finebaum ] think otherwise

cdsfrog

No and no. TCU loses, we are out.

End.of.story.

If ND wins out this is absolutely true.

Then either Clemson or someone else they can justify in gets in. We have like I said before less than 10% chance with a 1 loss, even OT loss with hurt QB versus OU. Just how the world works.

Wexahu

Um you are actually the one supporting the current system, the system that is broken. 99.9999% of everyone else, outside of the blue bloods are trying to correct the system to be more fair and less subjective.

Ok, so I guess we tell em “guys, we don’t like the current system, but as long this is the one we’re playing in, we really don’t have a chance. We’re hoping college football changes so we have a shot.”

That’ll be sure to impress them.

Ron Swanson

I actually don’t think there’s some hidden conspiracy agenda, I just think that most of the people on the committee have inherent biases due to their background, and those biases cloud their judgement (ill-intentioned or not).

Which is why I would be 100% on board with the old BCS-style selection system, only the top 8 teams make it instead of 4.

Last edited:

netty2424

Ok, so I guess we tell em “guys, we don’t like the current system, but as long this is the one we’re playing in, we really don’t have a chance. We’re hoping college football changes so we have a shot.”

That’ll be sure to impress them.
The positive is neither of us are recruiting players, assuming you aren't a coach. So the reality is, who cares what we think.

The other side of the coin here is I don't think GP is 100% on board with this system. He's been on record questioning the process. I have no idea what he's telling kids, but my guess is his stance on the CFPS process is never even discussed with recruits. Why would it? He probably tells them the same thing he tells everyone else, just win by 1.

flyfishingfrog

Clemson controls their own destiny, Ohio State controls their own destiny, Notre Dame controls their own destiny, OU controls their destiny, both Alabama and Georgia will get in.

Math seems a bit off.

Really - you think? its not my logic - its the talking heads of ESPN and college football in general.

The reality is why does anyone not in the top 4 control their own fate? Because that doesn't fit the narrative, that's why.

Obvious Troll

Of any team in recent memory, this TCU team seems as well poised as any to fill the entire pyramid in purple. Let's be realistic about what that would represent -
  • Win every Big XII game, no exceptions.
  • Beat the next best Big XII team twice in one season which is nearly impossible.
  • Win twice again against the best teams in the nation.
Epic. Beyond epic. Words cannot describe epic.
I hope we take it one game at a time, don't overlook any team, and have fun winning.

Wexahu

The positive is neither of us are recruiting players, assuming you aren't a coach. So the reality is, who cares what we think.

The other side of the coin here is I don't think GP is 100% on board with this system. He's been on record questioning the process. I have no idea what he's telling kids, but my guess is his stance on the CFPS process is never even discussed with recruits. Why would it? He probably tells them the same thing he tells everyone else, just win by 1.

Well, I think stuff said on message boards CAN affect recruiting. How much, who knows? And if a kid or his parent comes on here and sees a million different posts about how we have to be perfect or we have no chance and that we are seen as an inferior school, well, that can’t help at all.

netty2424

Well, I think stuff said on message boards CAN affect recruiting. How much, who knows? And if a kid or his parent comes on here and sees a million different posts about how we have to be perfect or we have no chance and that we are seen as an inferior school, well, that can’t help at all.
Patterson has said as much. We aren't breaking any news here.

LSU Game Attendee

I take it that the road is harder, but a TCU national championship would be far more meaningful than another one at a mega-mouth-breather u.

Jackson

Norte Dame better start thinking about finding a Conference championship game opponent. Since they already have a loss and no conference championship game lined up they should be slotted below any one loss team that plays and wins a CC Game. I vaguely remember the committee making a big deal out of this (cc game)selection criteria.

Jackson

If TCU wins out they're a lock to make the CFP. It'd be great for the obvious reasons plus it would provide the catalyst necessary to modify the Playoff from 4 Teams to either 6 or 8.