• The KillerFrogs

Hanging on to #4

Dogfrog

I actually don’t think there’s some hidden conspiracy agenda, I just think that most of the people on the committee have innate biases due to their background, and those biases cloud their judgement (ill-intentioned or not).

Which is why I would be 100% on board with the old BCS-style selection system, only the top 8 teams make it instead of 4.

For the record I don’t consider this system a conspiracy. The playoff committee isn’t sitting over a beer planning their lies. It is just business. Everybody involved loves the $7 billion paid by espn for playoff rights and don’t want it to stop. They also know that the source of the money is TV and ratings. None of this makes any sense to me otherwise.

It is the truth we have to win them all no excuses. When we do win them all and still get screwed maybe someone will care. Until then you have to win more and more to become a blue blood!

cdsfrog

ND is guaranteed in if they win out. Hardest schedule in the nation at end of season with like 5 top 25 wins and 6 top 25 games. And I say that hating them.

Assuming they do this is why tcu gets hosed going 12-1 no matter the loss. Georgia would miss out as well ay 12-1 if losing to bama in CC.

Bama
Big 10
ND
1 loss Clemson/undefeated Miami

If tcu loses. #2 seed if we win out but tons of games left

This is why 4 teams will never work. Ron is also correct about inherent bias rather on purpose or not. Utilizing computers heavily mitigates that and with 8 no deserving team is left out at least from p5.

froginmn

Perfect time of year for the "poor us" crowd to freak about how unbeaten TCU will be left out.

We're about halfway through the season, and lots more will happen. We'll see some unexpected losses.

The loss we should hope for first is Miami. But an undefeated conference champ doesn't get left out.

If one of TCU and Miami loses, Notre Dame could get in. But if not, it's a perfect time for the system to tell ND to join a conference.

But to me, the best part of this is that we are sitting here near the end of October worrying about TCU's playoff positioning. Didn't see that coming when we entered the season unranked.

Beat ISU

Last edited:

Wexahu

Utilizing computers heavily mitigates that and with 8 no deserving team is left out at least from p5.

OK, but just FYI I pulled up two computer rankings (the first two I came across) and these were the Top 8:

Sagarin
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Penn State
4. Notre Dame
5. Georgia
6. Clemson
7. Washington
8. Wisconsin

Congrove (whatever the heck that is)
1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Wisconsin
4. Ohio State
5. Georgia
6. TCU
7. Miami
8. Clemson

I'm not against using computers, but I'm really not sure the computer models would make anyone happier. We've already been down that road before. FWIW, the Massey site is either no longer or not working.

ifrog

ND is guaranteed in if they win out. Hardest schedule in the nation at end of season with like 5 top 25 wins and 6 top 25 games. And I say that hating them.

This is hypothetical but if TCU wins out you can make a similar case. This is assuming that you meant that the ND wins were against the ranked teams when they played.

TCU vs top 25

1. Oklahoma State #7
  2. WVU #23
  3. ISU #25
  4. OU #10 (projected)
  5. B12 Championship (could be a top 10 OSU or OU)

Wexahu

I saw Massey last week. They must be upgrading or something.

Massey rankings:

1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Georgia
4. Notre Dame
5. Clemson
6. TCU
7. Wisconsin
8. Ohio State

As much as it seems like a good idea to have computers rather than people decide things, it would probably just make it worse.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Massey rankings:

1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Georgia
4. Notre Dame
5. Clemson
6. TCU
7. Wisconsin
8. Ohio State

As much as it seems like a good idea to have computers rather than people decide things, it would probably just make it worse.
The computers seem to have more bias than the committee. Those rankings make little sense.

TCUSA

While I think we get screwed either way, at least a computer ranking is based on calculations set at the beginning of the season and we can know how wins/losses will affect the outcome to a certain degree. With the committee, it's 100% subjective bs based on nothing but what the committee wants--not what any team earns or deserves.

Zubaz

Computer rankings only make sense at the end of the year. Mid-Year computer rankings are flawed because they'll be incomplete, some even factor in pre-season rankings to their equation.

Wexahu

some even factor in pre-season rankings to their equation.

I think they pretty much all do. I don't know if doing it another way is even possible without resulting in some really bizarre outcomes. That's the flaw in computer rankings, in a perfect world every team would start at zero, so if an Ohio State loses by 20 points to Oklahoma in Week 1, OSU would be ranked about #120 by the computer. And then they could gradually improve on that as they win games. But obviously it doesn't work that way.