• The KillerFrogs

Gary Patterson a Horn?

Wally the Frog

No offense to this team, or Sonny, but did you watch us in that last game. We were out of gas before the first snap. Georgia was at a different level. We will get there, and I think we have the staff in place to win a NC. It takes time.

I give GP nothing but respect and accolades for getting us here, and yes that Boykin lead team was the best we ever saw, but beating a Georgia or Alabama will take a truly deep and well conditioned team.

We will get there, and the future is bright. I am glad that I am here for the ride.

TAINTed frog

No offense to this team, or Sonny, but did you watch us in that last game. We were out of gas before the first snap. Georgia was at a different level. We will get there, and I think we have the staff in place to win a NC. It takes time.

I give GP nothing but respect and accolades for getting us here, and yes that Boykin lead team was the best we ever saw, but beating a Georgia or Alabama will take a truly deep and well conditioned team.

We will get there, and the future is bright. I am glad that I am here for the ride.
Wait. So is your premise that we didn’t compete well in the NC because of conditioning? That UGA just ran more gassers in the summer and that’s why they won the NC 2 years in a row?

If that was your takeaway I’m not sure we watched the same game.

Eight

With Dykes I have concerns with the conditioning of the team. This may be a bigger concern with S&C coach. His teams seem to run out of gas late in seasons. Patterson learned from some of those issues. Patterson could be a bit of a loose cannon on the field and in his press conferences. Dykes tends to be calmer.

if only last year's team had won a few games late or won some big games late in the year we might have had something to go by, but i see your point....

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Wait. So is your premise that we didn’t compete well in the NC because of conditioning? That UGA just ran more gassers in the summer and that’s why they won the NC 2 years in a row?

If that was your takeaway I’m not sure we watched the same game.
Yeah that and all of the nfl talent, more 4 and 5 stars UGA had.

2themax

With Dykes I have concerns with the conditioning of the team. This may be a bigger concern with S&C coach. His teams seem to run out of gas late in seasons. Patterson learned from some of those issues. Patterson could be a bit of a loose cannon on the field and in his press conferences. Dykes tends to be calmer.
Would it not be more of an issue with depth?
I would imagine those guys were worn out by the time the conference championship game was played. Maybe even before then.
Thinking that's more so wear and tear.
Look at the 2's and 3's at UGA Ala Mich and OSU compared to TCU's depth chart.
Look at what the Frogs received in the transfer portal from Alabama in one yr.
Finding starters and conditioning likely isn't the most concerning issue.

Frozen Frog

I would imagine those guys were worn out by the time the conference championship game was played. Maybe even before then.

Depth is probably a part of the issue. I just felt the time just didn’t have the juice in the Big 12 title game. They got tired. Other teams where our S&C coach worked seemed to have similar issues. I admit I could be wrong, but it is an observation.

06DallasFrog

I rarely have inside information, but I will share it when I can. A former player has told me that the teams conditioning, diet, hydration and full-on body care program changed for the better under Kaz. DRAMATICALLY. Also, the former staff did not monitor hours of sleep or quality of sleep, much less enforce a regular curfew during the season. We are in a better spot, and it sounds like team buy-in and accountability is also there.

Frozen Frog

Depth is probably a part of the issue. I just felt the time just didn’t have the juice in the Big 12 title game. They got tired. Other teams where our S&C coach worked seemed to have similar issues. I admit I could be wrong, but it is an observation. I think it’s a benefit early in the season. We seem to be stronger than every team early in the season. There seems to be a fall off late in the season. Maybe it’s depth and playing better teams, but the drop off concerns me.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
They looked tired because they were getting their ass whipped by physically superior players on a team more experienced in that setting, which had a ton of depth too.

Any other team we played, we basically looked good in the 4th quarter (i.e. not worn out) and our injury levels, knock on wood, HAD to have been their lowest in some time. Weird take.

2themax

Depth is probably a part of the issue. I just felt the time just didn’t have the juice in the Big 12 title game. They got tired. Other teams where our S&C coach worked seemed to have similar issues. I admit I could be wrong, but it is an observation. I think it’s a benefit early in the season. We seem to be stronger than every team early in the season. There seems to be a fall off late in the season. Maybe it’s depth and playing better teams, but the drop off concerns me.
Coaches seem to be working on finding and getting quality depth on both sides of the ball. Quick example, Gillespie wants a 10 man rotation on a def front with 3 positions in the formation and Ricker isn't satisfied with 5 starters. He's searching for at least 8-9 bodies for a few combos to regularly rotate. I believe the staff has identified the starters but are pressing for more players to be on the field. Wear and tear is real (games, practices and workouts).
Keep in mind it takes 15 games to win a national championship now. It's not likely you're going to accomplish that without lots of depth.

Eight

consider that from the smu game until after the conference title game the frogs played 11 straight weeks with their depth at positions such a linebacker, corner, and safety erased by injuries

during that 11 game stretch they had a 1-score leading going into the 4th at smu, the blowout verse ou, and then a string of 7 straight games that either the frogs trailed going into the 4th (3 times) or were up by 1 score (4 times) going into the 4th before they played the season finale blow out versus iowa state

so to recap, a roster with holes at certain positions starting the season is thinned by injuries at some key spots, play 11 straight games with 9 of those the frogs either trailed in the 4th (4 times) or were up by 1 score (5 times) and the fact they looked tired is an indication kaz and his staff might not have been doing their job instead of a reason to give kaz and his staff a tip of the hat this team went 13-2 last year?

got it....

Frozen Frog

consider that from the smu game until after the conference title game the frogs played 11 straight weeks with their depth at positions such a linebacker, corner, and safety erased by injuries

during that 11 game stretch they had a 1-score leading going into the 4th at smu, the blowout verse ou, and then a string of 7 straight games that either the frogs trailed going into the 4th (3 times) or were up by 1 score (4 times) going into the 4th before they played the season finale blow out versus iowa state

so to recap, a roster with holes at certain positions starting the season is thinned by injuries at some key spots, play 11 straight games with 9 of those the frogs either trailed in the 4th (4 times) or were up by 1 score (5 times) and the fact they looked tired is an indication kaz and his staff might not have been doing their job instead of a reason to give kaz and his staff a tip of the hat this team went 13-2 last year?

got it....

So how do you explain similar issues at other schools where he has worked? There are some patterns where towards the end of seasons his players run out of gas. Not saying he is bad at his job, but I think there are some flaws which exist for every coach.

I think a Patterson coached team wins the National Championship game. The problem is I don’t think a Patterson coached team could have gotten to that game. I think there were some games early on where our conditioning won us games we would have lost under Patterson.

With regards to S&C you have to find balance. The season is a series of sprints that makes up a marathon.

Eight

So how do you explain similar issues at other schools where he has worked? There are some patterns where towards the end of seasons his players run out of gas. Not saying he is bad at his job, but I think there are some flaws which exist for every coach.

I think a Patterson coached team wins the National Championship game. The problem is I don’t think a Patterson coached team could have gotten to that game. I think there were some games early on where our conditioning won us games we would have lost under Patterson.

With regards to S&C you have to find balance. The season is a series of sprints that makes up a marathon.

which specific season or school are you wishing to compare with kaz

while we are addressing specific situations remind me when gary ever had a team play the #1 team in the country 10-days after they laid everything out they had to beat the #2 in the country

maybe i overlooked that game unless of course you are simply carrying over the memory of gary coached teams winning a single game where they had a month to prepare such as the rose bowl or peach
bowls which is actually comparable to sonny's win against michigan

understand you believe gary would have won the uga game, i can't see anyway that happens and that isn't a shot at gary

uga had far more talent than any tcu team has faced that I can recall on both sides of the field, but on top of that, they had been preparing in all phases of the program for that game since the won the title the year before

sonny and his team went week to week just trying to win which is how they entered this year after inheriting the mess of a program from the previous coach and yes, it was a mess in a number of areas including s&c

but that is just my way of seeing it

Frozen Frog

would baylor football GIF
Excited Come On GIF by Michigan State Football

Eight

you are right, kaz is to blame for the missed and blocked field goals in that 4th quarter

you got me there, if only baylor won a big game that year in really hot conditions coming from behind against someone who some consider a defensive savant

damn, just can't remember a time where a kaz conditioned team dropped 24 in the 4th quarter on a team some on this site believed were better conditioned