• The KillerFrogs

Game Thread: TCU vs TECH

FROG PARENTS 1961

With 3 minutes left in the game, the defense started playing like it was all over. They were running at half-speed, missing tackles, and just generally playing lazy and sloppy. You could see Patterson on the sideline with steam coming out of his ears.

He called time-out, gathered the defense on the sideline, and basically just reamed them but good. When play resumed, it was a whole new defense. They were speedy, they were attacking the ball, and they were making sure, quick tackles.

Just guessing, but I would bet that is what the actual [darn] people were talking about.
Yeah That and the subs were in on defense.

Dogfrog

Got to be kidding, SR's running was terrific, his hand-offs were crisp, his short passes (10-12 yards) efficient, but he was about .250 on downfield passing. Not sure what's to be happy about there. And his 3 fumbles -- one of which set up the Tech offense at our 7 yardline -- were the trademark of a green, true freshman who hasn't learned to protect the ball. Most opponents would have converted that TO into a TD. Even Baylor could have scored off of that TO.

Overall I'd grade him a C -- which is actually pretty good for a true frosch making his first college start in one of the most hostile road environments in college football. Shows a ton of promise, especially if he can learn to put some touch on his long passes and quit overthrowing receivers. What impressed me is that he was overthrowing them even when throwing into a 30-mph wind. That shows tremendous arm strength. Like everyone else, I strongly suspect he will achieve greatness over the next 3-4 years.

Running the ball, he's got good straight-ahead speed, but he's not particularly quick or elusive like Hicks or Anderson. He's more like a speedy power back who's just freaking hard to bring down. Like stopping a locomotive. He shook off several really good tackle attempts today that amazed me.

Everybody watched the game, Deep. And I am very aware that the downfield passing was not successful for the most part. But I was happy with most of his throws. He put most of the throws where his receivers could compete for them. Fo a first game and with the wind I see real potential. You go ahead and focus on the failure.

TCURiggs

Robinson only completed 6 passes for less than 100 yards and fumbled three or four times. I still give him the game ball for keeping drives alive and making plays when they counted most.

He made freshman mistakes and the wind affected the touch on some passes, plus a few others were dropped. I think the future is bright indeed.

Oh man. I'm killing time in the drive thru and clicked page 62, since it was the oldest showing on my phone that went back a couple of pages, and I saw this post quoted.

If Kenny would've ever completed just 6 passes for 80 yards he would've been absolutely murdered on here, yet Shawn gets a game ball. Hahaha. Looking forward to catching up on the game thread tonight. I bet it was a doozy.

I'm proud of how Shawn played today. He was tough. But for everyone that wanted to see him throw the ball down the field, that went over like a fart in a diving helmet. Heaving it downfield kept us scoreless for about 2.5 quarters... that's not a good recipe for us. Thank goodness our defense was nails and we started running it again, like we've done most of the year.

Oh man. I'm killing time in the drive thru and clicked page 62, since it was the oldest showing on my phone that went back a couple of pages, and I saw this post quoted.

If Kenny would've ever completed just 6 passes for 80 yards he would've been absolutely murdered on here, yet Shawn gets a game ball. Hahaha. Looking forward to catching up on the game thread tonight. I bet it was a doozy.

I'm proud of how Shawn played today. He was tough. But for everyone that wanted to see him throw the ball down the field, that went over like a fart in a diving helmet. Heaving it downfield kept us scoreless for about 2.5 quarters... that's not a good recipe for us. Thank goodness our defense was nails and we started running it again, like we've done most of the year.

I agree that Kenny would have been roasted if he completed 6 passes for 80 yards. That's not even debatable. But, I think a true freshman making his first start under those conditions gets a little more leeway which is probably as it should be.

I don't think the game plan that we had throwing all those deep passes was the best way to have gone about setting him up for success. I don't know why we had so little of the short and intermediate pass game that has been our focus all season unless the coaches just thought they saw something on film that would lead to success with what they were doing.

But whatever, we got the win and winning is the only stat that really matters at the end of the day.

TCURiggs

I agree that Kenny would have been roasted if he completed 6 passes for 80 yards. That's not even debatable. But, I think a true freshman making his first start under those conditions gets a little more leeway which is probably as it should be.

I don't think the game plan that we had throwing all those deep passes was the best way to have gone about setting him up for success. I don't know why we had so little of the short and intermediate pass game that has been our focus all season unless the coaches just thought they saw something on film that would lead to success with what they were doing.

But whatever, we got the win and winning is the only stat that really matters at the end of the day.

Your last paragraph has been my main point for most of the season, but that hasn't been good enough for a lot of our fans.

I also don't think going downfield was the plan for Shawn, as he didn't start doing that till the 2nd quarter. It looked like he just got a little excited about hitting the big play, started looking for that immediately after the snap, and never went to his check downs. No doubt it's very excusable since it was his first college start, on the road, but today is just another example that you don't have to throw it downfield every other snap to be a good offense. We were best when we ran the ball and kept the chains moving, as we've done all year with KH. That whole "we need to air it out more, which Kenny can't do" train of that has beaten me down all year. We need to do exactly what we've done to get us to this point, which is the opposite of throwing it downfield for an incompletion.

Latest posts