• The KillerFrogs

Game Thread: TCU vs TECH

Chico Dusty

The fact that we were even throwing the ball down the field says a lot about the state of affairs with the offense prior. Robinson’s stat line doesn’t show the whole picture. I predict if SR kept starting we would see a spark with some of the other skill positions. Playmaker receivers (like we have) like running down the field competing for the ball - and that element wasn’t really present with KH.

ifrog

The fact that we were even throwing the ball down the field says a lot about the state of affairs with the offense prior. Robinson’s stat line doesn’t show the whole picture. I predict if SR kept starting we would see a spark with some of the other skill positions. Playmaker receivers (like we have) like running down the field competing for the ball - and that element wasn’t really present with KH.

Throwing the ball downfield doesn’t matter if the throws are overthrown or the receivers are not catching the ball. The state of affairs with the offense hasn’t changed. Our offensive line didn’t play well today and Hill was running for his life the past three games. Maybe his stat line didn’t show the whole picture? Techs defense isn’t close to Iowa States or Texas or OU. I support Robinson and he is a gamer but quit with the comments like that element wasn’t present with Hill. Hill got us to 8 wins. If Hill has these Robinson’s stats today there would be 5 different threads about it.

Chongo94

It is. He's gone. Had to win 7 to keep his job, which he and the entire staff knew going in.

I'm betting he stays. Word is Hocutt and others have seen enough progress to attempt to justify he stays. I don't agree with that but given that Tech usually always make the worst decision possible, I bet he gets one more year.

Moose Stuff

Throwing the ball downfield doesn’t matter if the throws are overthrown or the receivers are not catching the ball. The state of affairs with the offense hasn’t changed. Our offensive line didn’t play well today and Hill was running for his life the past three games. Maybe his stat line didn’t show the whole picture? Techs defense isn’t close to Iowa States or Texas or OU. I support Robinson and he is a gamer but quit with the comments like that element wasn’t present with Hill. Hill got us to 8 wins. If Hill has these Robinson’s stats today there would be 5 different threads about it.

Any way we can just end this discussion permanently? Everyone seems to have sufficiently made their point.

Chico Dusty

I didn’t criticize KH - never have. All I’m saying is that I would think it’s exciting for the receivers to be able to go down the field and compete on some deep balls - and that can’t attract a positive spark. They’re not going to get them at all, but you keep firing they’re going to get some big plays. I was just stating that wasn’t a big factor with the KH attack.

TCURiggs

I didn’t criticize KH - never have. All I’m saying is that I would think it’s exciting for the receivers to be able to go down the field and compete on some deep balls - and that can’t attract a positive spark. They’re not going to get them at all, but you keep firing they’re going to get some big plays. I was just stating that wasn’t a big factor with the KH attack.

I just disagree with all of that. If any player can only "get excited" if a potential big play comes their way, they're not a good football player. Those guys are going to go out there and do their job regardless of it's a bomb down the field or not. There's no need to "keep firing" down field when we're not good at that. That just results in quick drives and a punt, like we saw in the 2nd and 3rd quarters today.

Chico Dusty

I just disagree with all of that. If any player can only "get excited" if a potential big play comes their way, they're not a good football player. Those guys are going to go out there and do their job regardless of it's a bomb down the field or not. There's no need to "keep firing" down field when we're not good at that. That just results in quick drives and a punt, like we saw in the 2nd and 3rd quarters today.

Where did I say they only get excited for the potential big plays? All I said, is I’m sure if you asked JD or JR or whoever if they would prefer, in addition to short routes, to have the opportunity to go down the field and make some plays - I’m sure they would like that. I don’t think that’s some shocking statement. It provides another element to the offense - and another element for the defense to account for. And to regards to quick drives and a punt. We’ve seen a lot of those with KH too. Again, I’m down for whoever they want to put in there and I’ve always supported any Frog player out there. It was just exciting to see a more aerial attack IMO.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

I'm betting he stays. Word is Hocutt and others have seen enough progress to attempt to justify he stays. I don't agree with that but given that Tech usually always make the worst decision possible, I bet he gets one more year.
Who are they going to hire? That is what they have to consider. And the list ain't grand right now with Tennesse, Ole Miss, Florida, Arkansas, Oregon State and Michigan jobs possibly being open.

Chongo94

Who are they going to hire? That is what they have to consider. And the list ain't grand right now with Tennesse, Ole Miss, Florida, Arkansas, Oregon State and Michigan jobs possibly being open.

Agreed. The name I've heard most often is Venebles but I find that a pipe dream.

TX_Krötenechse

Oh man. I'm killing time in the drive thru and clicked page 62, since it was the oldest showing on my phone that went back a couple of pages, and I saw this post quoted.

If Kenny would've ever completed just 6 passes for 80 yards he would've been absolutely murdered on here, yet Shawn gets a game ball. Hahaha. Looking forward to catching up on the game thread tonight. I bet it was a doozy.

I'm proud of how Shawn played today. He was tough. But for everyone that wanted to see him throw the ball down the field, that went over like a fart in a diving helmet. Heaving it downfield kept us scoreless for about 2.5 quarters... that's not a good recipe for us. Thank goodness our defense was nails and we started running it again, like we've done most of the year.
I don’t disagree, but I’ll also say that expectations for KH and SR are vastly different.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Sure they are, but I bet you (and a lot of others) also expected a lot more than 169 total yards, 1 TD and 3 fumbles out of SR, especially against Tech's defense.

For me personally, I was hoping for more, but my expectation was a win, so my expectations were met today. Gotta do a better job of protecting the ball for sure though.

Latest posts