• The KillerFrogs

Galloway and Herbstreit

Sponger

for what it's worth...last night on ESPN Radio on XM...the panel spent about a 10 minutes segment on the B12. Their quote was "all team not named TCU don't play defense." All four of them agreed to the point and said our defense was among the best in the country. Then they discussed how ISU and UT both play a pretty good defense as well most of the time.

One interesting question they discussed was if it should matter that the B12 doesn't play great defense across the board. Two of them defended the B12 and said it's just the style of ball we play as a conference. Then suggested that he would much rather see game like the OU-Oklahome State game versus the Alabama-LSU game a few years backthat ended like 12-9. What's the difference between conference that generally play "old school" football versus conference that light up the scoreboard? Said that the Ohio State-OU game showed that maybe the OU defense wasn't all that bad....and just maybe our offenses are generally much better....

One of the guys then admitted that a 12-1 TCU likely doesn't make the playoff where a 12-1 OU team is a lock....because we aren't a blue blood. The other guys all agreed.....but they said the same would apply if Wisconsin ended as 12-1...or even 13-0 they may not make it. Admitted it was unfortunate but is what it is....

Dogfrog

I have no idea why people let this bother them so much. I don't even watch the show, I just see the rankings. I'm fine with them, there's nothing in the rankings that makes me believe there's any funny business going on. Win games against good teams and everything usually takes care of itself. If we beat OU this weekend we're going to be one of the talks of college football, let's go do it.[.

Last edited:

Wexahu

One of the guys then admitted that a 12-1 TCU likely doesn't make the playoff where a 12-1 OU team is a lock....because we aren't a blue blood.

The logical reason why OU would be a lock and we aren't quite a lock is because OU beat Ohio State in OOC and we beat Arkansas. Blue blood or not, that matters.

Wexahu

I don't have to prove it. Guys like Herbie and Galloway do it on their own.

Basically what you're asking these guys to do is go on air and talk like TCU fans, which they aren't going to do. And even when they do say something good about TCU (which they have on many, many occasions), it either goes unheard or they get accused of "setting us up" or something stupid like that. I swear, every freaking time any analyst says anything even remotely negative about TCU or the Big 12, it gets so blown out of proportion it's a joke. Better to just not pay attention to them.

ifrog

I've heard Herbstreit say on multiple occasions that "TCU plays defense". In any event, who cares what he says?

Does your opinion ever get swayed by what you hear Galloway or Herbstreit say? I'd guess no, right?. Then why do you think those guys have influence on anyone else?

I don’t give two scheisss what he says but you are kidding yourself if you don’t think the CFP members watch him and listen to him.

I have no idea why people let this bother them so much. I don't even watch the show, I just see the rankings. I'm fine with them, there's nothing in the rankings that makes me believe there's any funny business going on. Win games against good teams and everything usually takes care of itself. If we beat OU this weekend we're going to be one of the talks of college football, let's go do it.
So you don't even watch the show, but you are certain there's no bias -- even though you have no idea what was said. Hmm...

We'll see how the rankings flush out if we win. I'll reserve the right to be cynical about the rankings until I see something to the contrary.

ifrog

They influence a lot of people. Especially when a lot of ppl around the country don’t pay attention to TCU football and know little about us. The world is innuendated with tons of media and ppl listen to headlines, sound bites, etc and than repeat it as fact. I don’t let it influence me, especially since Herbstreit is a total schmohawk, but you’d be naive to think the masses don’t believe what they hear on the TV. Hell, my good buddy in Austin, who is a TCU grad, listens to everything Colin Cowherd says - and I always have to talk him down, etc
Exactly. LVH thinks that the Vegas shootings were staged. Some people believe anything that they read on sites. This happens to be college football and some don’t watch all the games and go by their media site of choice no matter how scheissed is it is

Wexahu

I don’t give two [ darn ]s what he says but you are kidding yourself if you don’t think the CFP members watch him and listen to him.

If you were on the committee, would you? I sure wouldn’t. Besides, I thought all the committee members deferred to Barry Alvarez anyway. If nobody gives two scheisss what he says than why after everything he says do so many people come on here and give two scheisss?

Wexahu

So you don't even watch the show, but you are certain there's no bias -- even though you have no idea what was said. Hmm...

We'll see how the rankings flush out if we win. I'll reserve the right to be cynical about the rankings until I see something to the contrary.

So if TCU is ranked where you want them to be ranked, it’s good. If not, it’s not. Right?

Basically what you're asking these guys to do is go on air and talk like TCU fans, which they aren't going to do. And even when they do say something good about TCU (which they have on many, many occasions), it either goes unheard or they get accused of "setting us up" or something stupid like that. I swear, every freaking time any analyst says anything even remotely negative about TCU or the Big 12, it gets so blown out of proportion it's a joke. Better to just not pay attention to them.
Good grief. No. I would expect these highly paid professionals to give accurate assessments. Saying the B12 doesn't play defense is not an accurate assessment in my opinion. There's plenty of data to support my opinion, but they seem to willfully ignore it. Willful ignorance is the very definition of bias.

froghair

Read boards from other schools. It's the same everywhere. Oh and there conferences refs all suck and have an agenda against their team and bad play calling was the reason they lost. It's kinda comical really.

Zubaz

Are you really this invested in proving there's no bias? They just showed you a bias against the B12 -- no defense -- and you still deny it.
I didn't see the clip, OP didn't provide the clip. What was the context? 2 of the top teams throwing for 400+ yards I imagine. That's bias?

I'd be happy to re-assess if someone wants to show the actual video, but not seeing it from what was said.

ifrog

If you were on the committee, would you? I sure wouldn’t. Besides, I thought all the committee members deferred to Barry Alvarez anyway. If nobody gives two [ darn ]s what he says than why after everything he says do so many people come on here and give two [ darn ]s?
It’s human nature. Since you love to be the contrarian on most subjects I dont give two scheisss what you think either

kidkarr

I've heard Herbstreit say on multiple occasions that "TCU plays defense". In any event, who cares what he says?

Does your opinion ever get swayed by what you hear Galloway or Herbstreit say? I'd guess no, right?. Then why do you think those guys have influence on anyone else?
My opinion, no. But recruits watch this stuff and and it can’t help. Gets old.

kidkarr

I didn't see the clip, OP didn't provide the clip. What was the context? 2 of the top teams throwing for 400+ yards I imagine. That's bias?

I'd be happy to re-assess if someone wants to show the actual video, but not seeing it from what was said.
It was blatant and was a blanket statement. Pretty [ Finebaum ]ty really. A segment on defense and no mention of the best one in the conference. If I heard correctly, they used TCU leading the nation in rush D to tease the segment and then never brought us up. Weak sauce.

So if TCU is ranked where you want them to be ranked, it’s good. If not, it’s not. Right?
Nope. If they apply the same standards to us that they apply to the others, then I think most of us can accept it. I haven't seen that they have applied their data and talking points equitably. Case in point...see the post above where radio taking heads believed that a 12-1 OU would get in, but a 12-1 TCU would not. Those are not TCU fans having a discussion. If they believe that, then I think that's pretty good evidence that particular bias may exist.