• The KillerFrogs

Filter discussion - *caution: language

cdsfrog

seriously? thats not even a cuss word.

Might as filter out gee willikers, gosh darnt, poop, dagnabbit, Balderdash, Mother of pearl, Shut the Front Door, Schnikes, Great Scott, Gadzooks, Tartar Sauce and so many more. Really hope none of these are.

Edit: all clear

swimmerbabe11

1. There should be NO references to other teams, schools, coaches, their traditions, etc. That is so bush-league and desperate, it isn't even close to funny. It makes us look pathetic, and it honestly affects my desire to participate in discussions here.

2. Wherever possible, filters should replace bad words with socially acceptable norms, such that the poster's point is conveyed while sensibilities are not offended. For example:
  • Some words can just be shortened to socially acceptable norms. Some examples are: A-hole, B-hole, D-bag, B-word, C-word, etc.
  • Other words can be replaced with an acceptable synonym or colloquialism. For example, Donkey for A_s, Crap for Sh_t, Frig and Friggin for F__k and F__c_ng, etc.
3. For words where no common-sense or ubiquitous alternative can be determined, just use the word Filtered in place of the bad word.

4. Design a filter that can distinguish the D-word by itself vs. Coach Bumpas' first and last name. This is the 21st Century. Surely it can be set to apply that type of logic (i.e., recognizing one word alone vs. two together).

5. When in doubt, refer back to rule #1.

This 1000 times. I hate the replacement word filters. Just do asterisks or filtered.

Also, if the language controls are going to be so strict, it makes no sense that moderation is so lax on things that are actually offensive, like sexual/homophobic/graphic/violent comments that refer to things that are offensive, but don't contain curse words.

Either be strict or be anything goes, just be consistent.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
1. There should be NO references to other teams, schools, coaches, their traditions, etc. That is so bush-league and desperate, it isn't even close to funny. It makes us look pathetic, and it honestly affects my desire to participate in discussions here.

2. Wherever possible, filters should replace bad words with socially acceptable norms, such that the poster's point is conveyed while sensibilities are not offended. For example:
  • Some words can just be shortened to socially acceptable norms. Some examples are: A-hole, B-hole, D-bag, B-word, C-word, etc.
  • Other words can be replaced with an acceptable synonym or colloquialism. For example, Donkey for A_s, Crap for Sh_t, Frig and Friggin for F__k and F__c_ng, etc.
3. For words where no common-sense or ubiquitous alternative can be determined, just use the word Filtered in place of the bad word.

4. Design a filter that can distinguish the D-word by itself vs. Coach Bumpas' first and last name. This is the 21st Century. Surely it can be set to apply that type of logic (i.e., recognizing one word alone vs. two together).

Quit being such a [baylor]-ing [aggy].

Quit being such a [baylor]-ing [aggy].
sbpibq.gif

Armadillo

I like the filters and find some of the past and present ones to be kinda funny (see craig james, art briles, kim mulkey, etc).

But all input and decisions need to go through the Profanitus Emeritus RollToad.

He is the expert on the matter.

Wes has asked us several times to start a poll to determine filters for bad words, instead of griping in various threads. I don't know how to set up a poll, so I'm just going to make a list and anyone who cares to, can discuss, propose different words, add to the list, etc. If you don't think it is important enough to join in the discussion, then don't [Kim Mulkey] about the words Wes uses.

fu.. - [darn]
sh.. - [boat]
d..k/c..k - [popsicle]
g..d.m. - [dang]
pus.. - [meow]
cu.. - [no, no!]
coc.s..ker - [shame on me]
bi..h - [Kim Mulkey]
a..h.le - [Art Briles]
do.che/b.g - [Mixon]
bas...d - [ne'er-do-well]
bul.s..t - [Mac Engle]

That's the best I can do at this point.

Gosh Quilter, you have a very flowery vocabulary................

swimmerbabe11

Bob

Why not have time delayed posts that are prefaced with the warning that the viewer might encounter bad words, groans, or other behavior that might be adult in context. The offending material could just be pixeled out, accompanied by a loud beep and encryption of your computer until Wes is sent a donation thru payal.

Bob

Another idea might be to get a Kf.c breathalyzer with a USB port which would prevent drunks, like me, from making totally irrational posts that are offensive and embarrass me the next day, even though I don't remember making them.

hindry

Wes has asked us several times to start a poll to determine filters for bad words, instead of griping in various threads. I don't know how to set up a poll, so I'm just going to make a list and anyone who cares to, can discuss, propose different words, add to the list, etc. If you don't think it is important enough to join in the discussion, then don't [Kim Mulkey] about the words Wes uses.

fu.. - [darn]
sh.. - [boat]
d..k/c..k - [popsicle]
g..d.m. - [dang]
pus.. - [meow]
cu.. - [no, no!]
coc.s..ker - [shame on me]
bi..h - [Kim Mulkey]
a..h.le - [Art Briles]
do.che/b.g - [Mixon]
bas...d - [ne'er-do-well]
bul.s..t - [Mac Engle]

That's the best I can do at this point.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Can we find a filter for "Cheers"? Every time I hear it I think about when I used to get in arguments with this geologist from BP and when you got'em, he just end the conversation with "Cheers" and walk off. Basically telling me to [ darn ] off. Now every time I hear it, whether someone is being sincere or not, I find it very pompous and condescending. Maybe filter it with "Talley-Ho." or something

Well bless your heart.