• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Four-star RB flips commitment from Mississippi State to TCU

4th. down

That can be a bit misleading at times, no way of really knowing whether they are still committable offers or not, it seems most were made almost two years ago. It's just concerning to me that his stats have steadily declined since his Sophomore year (when he received most of his offers). I would just expect a 4-star running back to put up huge numbers at the high school level and it just isn't there with him for some reason. It may be something totally explainable but that and the fact that we swooped in and picked him up on such short notice with seemingly little resistance from other programs sort of raises some question marks IMO.

Maybe he topped out in HS like Johnathan Gray. In the 2014 tcu/texas game, Gray carried 11 times for 0 yds. It can happen, we've seen it before but in HS, he was all world.

Dogfrog

That can be a bit misleading at times, no way of really knowing whether they are still committable offers or not, it seems most were made almost two years ago. It's just concerning to me that his stats have steadily declined since his Sophomore year (when he received most of his offers). I would just expect a 4-star running back to put up huge numbers at the high school level and it just isn't there with him for some reason. It may be something totally explainable but that and the fact that we swooped in and picked him up on such short notice with seemingly little resistance from other programs sort of raises some question marks IMO.

Quick somebody pass this info on to GP. Really makes you wonder how Saban and Harbaugh could be so stupid.

Teams they played loaded the box to shut down the run. The great online his soph year graduated and junior senior years had fresh and Sophs blocking for him.

Wexahu

Quick somebody pass this info on to GP. Really makes you wonder how Saban and Harbaugh could be so stupid.

Saban offered in November 2015. Harbaugh in April 2016. I'm not sure if he told either one of those today that he was going to commit and sign on Dec 21st it would be in the cards for him. Just speculating.

If GP is happy to bring him on board that's really all that matters.

Realtorfrog

Maybe he topped out in HS like Johnathan Gray. In the 2014 tcu/texas game, Gray carried 11 times for 0 yds. It can happen, we've seen it before but in HS, he was all world.

This shows me how poorly tu coaches were/are at developing talent. Kid was awesome in high school and one of the biggest busts ever in college. You just never know.......

Wexahu

This shows me how poorly tu coaches were/are at developing talent. Kid was awesome in high school and one of the biggest busts ever in college. You just never know.......

Or it might be a case of a kid being able to run just about as fast, cut just about as hard, and break just about as many tackles at age 16 and 17 as he was at age 21......only he was playing against FAR inferior competition. He honestly looked better as a Freshman at UT than he did as a Senior, although I'm sure the achilles injury had something to do with that. Maybe a lot to do with it.

I don't think it was coaching as much as it was a kid just peaking very young. I don't think RB talent, as in just running the football, making people miss, and breaking tackles, is "developed" like other positions. I think for the most part a kid can either do it or he can't.

puckster59

It's a little hard to believe the staff would take a flyer on a RB who was even a question grade-wise, leading other very good players who want to come to TCU to end up going elsewhere. A position where you're bringing in four or five guys a year, maybe. But this just doesn't make sense if he's really a question.

gp4prez

So I looked up his stats. I would say he didn't decline at all. His touches went down from his sophomore to Jr and Jr to Sr seasons for whatever reason (Offensive philosophy change or maybe they had another stud RB they wanted to get touches) His Yds per run avg stayed pretty flat through 3 years (over 6 yds per touch) but his scoring improved, 10% of his touches went for TD's in Jr and Sr seasons, as he became an upper class-man.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/fab...EeOZXQAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Dogfrog

Saban offered in November 2015. Harbaugh in April 2016. I'm not sure if he told either one of those today that he was going to commit and sign on Dec 21st it would be in the cards for him. Just speculating.

If GP is happy to bring him on board that's really all that matters.

Your speculation is always fascinating.

Wexahu

So I looked up his stats. I would say he didn't decline at all. His touches went down from his sophomore to Jr and Jr to Sr seasons for whatever reason (Offensive philosophy change or maybe they had another stud RB they wanted to get touches) His Yds per run avg stayed pretty flat through 3 years (over 6 yds per touch) but his scoring improved, 10% of his touches went for TD's in Jr and Sr seasons, as he became an upper class-man.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/fab...EeOZXQAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Darius Anderson HS stats (Texas Class 6A):

Soph - 91 carries, 816 yards, 8.96 YPC, 12 TDs
Junior - 238 carries, 1,861 yards, 7.82 YPC, 14 TDs
Senior - 263 carries, 2,274 yards, 8.64 YPC, 30 TDs

I don't know what this says, other than DA seemed to get quite a bit better each year throughout his HS career. And it's seemed to have continued at the college level.

HFrog12

As I recall, his Dad & HS coach were both tu homers.

I am pretty salty about Del Conte also but "tu" is just so damn aggie to me. Always irked me when our fans do the horns down sign also, we have our own sign, but I digress. Always thought that J. Gray would have a fruitful career in the NFL but Texas killed that. We turned out just fine, if not better, but I was convinced that J. Gray and Tyrone Swoops were going to be wearing purple.

Young and Horned

How does committing to TCU help him get an LSU offer?
Happens all the time. How many times has a recruit committed to TCU and then he gets numerous offers from other programs? And then specifically in this case, I am sure Coach O would love to take a guy from our class with us going into Louisiana and taking those guys. Maybe I am wrong, but don't think it is that crazy of an idea.

Planks

I am pretty salty about Del Conte also but "tu" is just so damn aggie to me.

Agreed. It’s a purely Aggie term, they use it as a reference to the fact that A&M not UT was the first Texas public school. In most other states only the original public school gets the “U of blank” name. Saying tu is Aggie fans way of saying “we were here first”.

FrogLifeYo

The head coach left a couple weeks ago. It’s absolutely not a “from nowhere” type situation.
So we've been on the kid for a while? .. my point was more related to TCU not The MSU situation. I don't think anyone new we had an interest in the kid until 2 days ago and thus my "from nowhere" comment.That's unusual. Regardless, I'd say it reflects well that our coaching staff is staying plugged in to the region. Very opportunistic on our part.