• The KillerFrogs

Dallas Coaches Event Recap???

Limp Lizard

Technically last year would've been a 46% success rate. The crowds were great for the first few home games when we were still highly thought of and the chances still existed we'd have a great season. Helped in part, obviously, by playing Arkansas and Oklahoma in night games.
You are going to lose some games, some time. We are still climbing up...just look at the recruiting rankings. We are still climbing up the ladder. Especially in perception. Fans give up on the team way to fast, IMO. Tired of the whining "win more games" bit. FP and the players are trying. Geeze.

Wexahu

You are going to lose some games, some time. We are still climbing up...just look at the recruiting rankings. We are still climbing up the ladder. Especially in perception. Fans give up on the team way to fast, IMO. Tired of the whining "win more games" bit. FP and the players are trying. Geeze.

GP makes almost $5,000,000/year to coach the team. Think about that, five freaking million dollars per year. He's by far the highest paid employee of the university. You don't pay a coach $5M/year to "try" and win games, you pay him that "to" win. As soon as our coaches get a free pass when they don't win games, that's when we'll start stinking again in football.

If Nick Saban ever went 8-4 in consecutive years at Bama, there'd be a bunch of fans who would want him gone, maybe the majority of them. It's part of the deal.

jake102

Tired of the whining "win more games" bit. FP and the players are trying. Geeze.

It's the only guaranteed way to put fans in seats. Check out 2009, 2010 and 2014.

Every team is trying to win, the job is to win. As Wexahu states, at $5MM per year, this isn't a charity posting

Trying to get creative to solve the keep people in the seats issue. Besides donating tickets to Project Purple and getting high school kids to TCU games I have some other ideas.

1. Why not throw a huge party in the stadium after the game if you leave you can't get back in. Purple Lazers, Fog Machines, Fireworks, Music, dance party rave, etc. Then Play all the other games on the big scoreboards so everyone can see watch as a group. Now Tailgaters and fans have a great reason to stay after the games the party is inside the stadium. The players come back out of showers, cheerleaders, showgirls, etc. Fans kids get autographs pictures hang with coaches, teachers, trainers, get to know all the TCU sports teams etc. If any alumni or current TCU pro players are in the house hang out with them get autographs etc. Carnival games win TCU baseballs, footballs etc. Could be super cool and family friendly.

2. Need to get the first 4-5 games during heat at night and/or put in sun shade awnings for fan comfort. Better opponents would help no aa teams ever.

3. Give fans a really cool one of a kind collectible for staying for the after party when they leave one of a kind item. It could be a package of TCU autographed football player, coaches cards. Have a super cool raffle of a car etc. must be present to win if your number is drawn on your ticket. Kick a long field goal for cash. Throw a football through a tire 40 yards win cash.

I am sure this board can come up with many positive cool reasons to stay for the whole game. Positive reasons would be so much better than negative reasons like a no in and out policy.

MAcFroggy

First of all all, athletics was losing a lot of money in the MWC era. Second, you're drastically underestimating the change in expenses over the past 6 years.

Patterson's salary has doubled. The trove of assistants have gone through the roof, plus we've added more coaches, analysts etc. Jim Christian wasn't making $1M. Dixon makes $3.2M. His staff is also much more expensive than past staffs. You can keep going down the list - Schloss, Saarloos and Mo, Pebley, Kramer and Roditi, and CDC himself.

Big 12 travel is roughly the same as MWC travel if we were using the same methods. But we aren't. For example MBB travels charter now. They were traveling commercial. We are recruiting across the country and in some cases world, and those travel costs are much, much higher.

Big time athletics means big time athletics marketing. From tv ad quality to the fancy season renewal packets and street banners - everything costs more to put out and advertise a quality product.

Our programs are more successful. We're traveling minor sports to more NCAA tournament events - which are net money losers.

Look at the facility growth. New AGCS costs a lot more to upkeep than old AGCS. Just look at the number of square feet now vs. 2010. Those bills have to get paid.

More people at sporting events means more contract workers - concessions, security, janitorial, etc.

And perhaps most of all it costs money to keep up. Every P5 program is scraping for Loren money to get a competitive advantage. Comparing Big 12 TCU to MWC TCU is pointless. You have to compare Big 12 TCU to Big 12 Baylor, Pac 12 Stanford, ACC Clemson, B1G Nebraska, SEC Arkansas, etc. That's the competition - not a 2010 mid major.

And let's not forget that we are still playing catch up. Our peer programs have been in a higher financial tier than us for a long time. We just started getting full revenue in summer 2016.

Thanks. Totally agree with all of this. All of this is necessary in order to be competitive in the Big 12 and the NCAA overall. We can not forget that the TV contracts expire in mid 2020s, and we need to be in a position to have a seat when the music stops. That means ensuring great facilities, great teams, great revenue generation, and great fan support. CDC, the frog club, athletic department, and university must all maintain diligence to ensure we are in the best possible situation when potential realignment happens again.

CountryFrog

I guess I missed the posts where people are complaining about Patterson not winning enough. I certainly have nothing but love for GP.

It's just factual that winning helps keep people in the seats, and last year we didn't do enough of that. Obviously you can't win every year, but the more casual fans are going to lose interest during the seasons where there isn't quite as much winning.

SeniorFrog

We are recruiting across the country and in some cases world, and those travel costs are much, much higher..

Spot on Dirtbag.

But this particular quote reminded me about Schloss stating that he didn't realize we had an unlimited budget to travel (as CDC shakes his finger from the crowd). He was poking at Dixon recruiting in Australia and Europe. Dixon gets to go to London, while Schloss gets to go to Cleburne. Dixon said, "Hey, if you find a 7 footer in Cleburne, you let me know!"

Loved watching them interact.

cheese83

They aren't going to reseat. There would be an outright revolt. So we can nix that fantasy. Plus it won't really help. The 2012 top end donors are still the top end donors - you'd just be shuffling the bottom half of PP rank.

I hear complaints about how it "looks" but the reality is the seats on tv are the ones that are usually full. Empty seats are typically right behind the bench and upper deck corner. The parts least show on tv. It looks fine. The issue isn't how it looks. It's that fans want the seats behind the home bench. Which is understandable. But let's top pretending the motive is anything other than selfish want for the shady, low level seats.

I guess what I should have said was reseat the lower westside bowl. Move these fans to the East side club/suites and put other fans in there.

With my PP I don't expect to get in there at all, it's awful for team morale and fan morale. Nothing like looking at the primo seats behind our team 3/4ths empty.

What would be the revolt? If people aren't using them then get rid of the damn seats and move fans in there.

The +4 was horrible, people would have still donated even if they didn't do that. As a result our lower bowl has been a [ Finebaum ] show.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
You're really struggling to understand things. Heat of the summer is tough on us all. Hang in there.

I see that if anyone doesn't agree with reality as you see it, people just don't rise to your level of understanding. Because I don't agree with your opinion, I struggle to understand things? I see you resort to calling others dumbasses, so I guess I should be grateful that your superiority issues took it relatively easy on me...

Big Frog II

I guess what I should have said was reseat the lower westside bowl. Move these fans to the East side club/suites and put other fans in there.

With my PP I don't expect to get in there at all, it's awful for team morale and fan morale. Nothing like looking at the primo seats behind our team 3/4ths empty.

What would be the revolt? If people aren't using them then get rid of the damn seats and move fans in there.

The +4 was horrible, people would have still donated even if they didn't do that. As a result our lower bowl has been a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] show.
I have heard that the sections behind our team will be reworked to put back the missing rows. That should help considerably. On either side of those sections where the existing rows have not been removed, those sections look full. They gave this area long enough time to show whether it would work or not, and it hasn't. So they are going to fix it.

Purp

Agree with first paragraph. Disagree with second, but only in the sense that people will throw a fit but adapt anyway provided they sell beer in the stadium.
I agree with this for the most part bc it would move the social event inside ACS. The trouble is that it's much harder than it used to be to sit together in large social groups in the stadium like it we do at tailgates. I can see some of the fans more passionate about socializing than winning football games choosing to adapt and stay at the tailgate during games unless we figure out a way to reseat the stadium to get friend groups reunited. I don't see that ever happening, though.

netty2424

I have heard that the sections behind our team will be reworked to put back the missing rows. That should help considerably. On either side of those sections where the existing rows have not been removed, those sections look full. They gave this area long enough time to show whether it would work or not, and it hasn't. So they are going to fix it.
Didn't someone post on here some bogus line about the rows behind the players bench are so spread out because the pitch of the lower bowl there wouldn't allow for closer rows? As stated by CDC? Felt like there was a decent argument on this site about that lame excuse.

Maybe I'm still smokin the wacky tobacky. Could've sworn tho.

Big Frog II

Didn't someone post on here some bogus line about the rows behind the players bench are so spread out because the pitch of the lower bowl there wouldn't allow for closer rows? As stated by CDC? Felt like there was a decent argument on this site about that lame excuse.

Maybe I'm still smokin the wacky tobacky. Could've sworn tho.
They did not do anything to those lower rows when they rebuilt the stadium except remove every other row in between those sections behind the team. They would have had to have remove the entire lower bowl on that side to have done anything else. Putting the rows back will make those sections like they originally were. That would be a good thing.

netty2424

They did not do anything to those lower rows when they rebuilt the stadium except remove every other row in between those sections behind the team. They would have had to have remove the entire lower bowl on that side to have done anything else. Putting the rows back will make those sections like they originally were. That would be a good thing.
Completely agree. Other than elbow room those folks will be losing, they'll be gaining a better game atmosphere Imo with more people cheering on the frogs.