• The KillerFrogs

CWS Semifinal Thread: TCU vs. Coastal Carolina (Friday, 7 pm)

Tumbleweed

Deep Purple said:
  If we can just get the bats going, the odds are well in our favor.

Bats going and don't lose concentration, esp the in-field play.  Hope I'm wrong b/c I want that NCAA trophy in our trophy case, but I can't help but think we'll struggle again tonight. We're slightly more rested than Coastal and that should play into our hands.  Jim was stressed (a lot) before a pitch was thrown last night.  No guessing about it, I would be climbing the walls.   Go for it Frogs be aggressive but think.

Pharm Frog

Tumbleweed said:
Bats going and don't lose concentration, esp the in-field play.  Hope I'm wrong b/c I want that NCAA trophy in our trophy case, but I can't help but think we'll struggle again tonight. We're slightly more rested than Coastal and that should play into our hands.  Jim was stressed (a lot) before a pitch was thrown last night.  No guessing about it, I would be climbing the walls.   Go for it Frogs be aggressive but think.

Though we've been winning a lot of games in the playoff run, we really haven't played all-around excellent baseball in a few weeks. Something just continues to feel like its about to happen though. Our pitching has been awesome which comes as somewhat of a surprise given our injuries there and the mid-season struggles. But we've been quite reliant on other teams' mistakes much more so than driving our own destiny.  G3 of the super and G2 of the CWS come to mind.  G1 of the CWS was one in dramatic fashion after a somewhat pedestrian 8 innings of baseball.  In fairness, almost all teams have been winning this way and it should not be lost that you have to capitalize on other teams' mistakes.  But we have a tough time winning currently when we don't graciously accept free bases and mercilessly exploit them. 

flyfishingfrog

Pharm Frog said:

Not accurate. There are many biomechanical/pathology studies that document the stress level against the elbow in particular for sidearmers and submariners.  When you see photographic evidence of the torque against the elbow from a submariner and to a lesser extent the sidearmer, it is amazing. There seems to be some consensus that there's less stress to the shoulder however.  The metaphor to girls softball, while understandable, does not hold up.  The mechanics of a sidearmer/submariner are completely different from a women's softball pitcher.  This is most easily seen in the body positioning during the pitching motion (most notably the positioning of the back).  Simply put, the vast majority of submariners and sidearmers are relief pitchers who tend to throw more often but in far less quantity.  But they can't and shouldn't throw in quantity any more than a more traditional pitcher.
Geez you can be a beating sometimes....

TCUdirtbag

Deep Purple said:
Coastal's multifaceted sidewinder was certainly all we heard about, and he surely lived up to what we heard.  But he was their ace.  Who are they putting on the mound tomorrow?

Probably somebody good, but somebody with a more conventional delivery, easier for the batters to read, and therefore more predictable.  Plus, they've burned through enough pitchers in the past week, they can't have much left.  Who knows?  They may even start with a semi-tired arm.

TCU's bullpen is deeper and fairly rested.  If we can just get the bats going, the odds are well in our favor.
Yeah, I agree. I assume they go with the kid we saw Tuesday night?

XIIFrog

Pharm Frog said:

Not accurate. There are many biomechanical/pathology studies that document the stress level against the elbow in particular for sidearmers and submariners.  When you see photographic evidence of the torque against the elbow from a submariner and to a lesser extent the sidearmer, it is amazing. There seems to be some consensus that there's less stress to the shoulder however.  The metaphor to girls softball, while understandable, does not hold up.  The mechanics of a sidearmer/submariner are completely different from a women's softball pitcher.  This is most easily seen in the body positioning during the pitching motion (most notably the positioning of the back).  Simply put, the vast majority of submariners and sidearmers are relief pitchers who tend to throw more often but in far less quantity.  But they can't and shouldn't throw in quantity any more than a more traditional pitcher.
If you look at the biomechanics of the whisky I was drinking last night, I seemed to be a lot more drunk at pitch 130 than I was at pitch 10.

However, if you tried to get me to watch a game of softball, there's no doubt that I'd have to be blackout drunk at pitch #1.

froginmn

flyfishingfrog said:
Geez you can be a beating sometimes....
Not sure what the tiff is about but simply stated, submariners don't throw with their elbows below their shoulders, they lean way the heck over and throw with a traditional motion.

Softball pitchers throw with an underhand motion that doesn't generate anywhere near the stress on the elbow, so they can pitch game after game without injury.

flyfishingfrog

froginmn said:
Not sure what the tiff is about but simply stated, submariners don't throw with their elbows below their shoulders, they lean way the heck over and throw with a traditional motion.

Softball pitchers throw with an underhand motion that doesn't generate anywhere near the stress on the elbow, so they can pitch game after game without injury.
I was originally being sarcastic was my point. I don't really think any throwing motion for baseball is the same is fast pitch softball - subs are just silly looking so I was comparing them.

But I forget that typically anything not written exactly as one of our many self-appointed baseball SMEs would like will illicit a dissertation in response.

And I appreciate the stress and strain on muscles and joints education, they didn't teach that stuff in med school...

froginmn

flyfishingfrog said:
I was originally being sarcastic was my point. I don't really think any throwing motion for baseball is the same is fast pitch softball - subs are just silly looking so I was comparing them.

But I forget that typically anything not written exactly as one of our many self-appointed baseball SMEs would like will illicit a dissertation in response.

And I appreciate the stress and strain on muscles and joints education, they didn't teach that stuff in med school...
K

PhillyFrog

Steelfrog is akin to the Zika virus.

You have been infected.

Stay away from babies and Steelfrog.   Get Dish.

LisaLT said:
Who's pitching tonight? I'd like an answer NOW.

I learned that from Steel.

Go.

LisaLT