• The KillerFrogs

CWS Semifinal Thread: TCU vs. Coastal Carolina (Friday, 7 pm)

Pharm Frog

flyfishingfrog said:
The guy throws submarines at 78 - he could be a girls softball pitcher and like them - go every other day if needed.

Not accurate. There are many biomechanical/pathology studies that document the stress level against the elbow in particular for sidearmers and submariners.  When you see photographic evidence of the torque against the elbow from a submariner and to a lesser extent the sidearmer, it is amazing. There seems to be some consensus that there's less stress to the shoulder however.  The metaphor to girls softball, while understandable, does not hold up.  The mechanics of a sidearmer/submariner are completely different from a women's softball pitcher.  This is most easily seen in the body positioning during the pitching motion (most notably the positioning of the back).  Simply put, the vast majority of submariners and sidearmers are relief pitchers who tend to throw more often but in far less quantity.  But they can't and shouldn't throw in quantity any more than a more traditional pitcher.

frognutz

I'm with Schloss.  We get to have another Frogs CWS baseball game on Saturday night!  Got outplayed tonight, but that happens.

Deep Purple

Coastal's multifaceted sidewinder was certainly all we heard about, and he surely lived up to what we heard.  But he was their ace.  Who are they putting on the mound tomorrow?

Probably somebody good, but somebody with a more conventional delivery, easier for the batters to read, and therefore more predictable.  Plus, they've burned through enough pitchers in the past week, they can't have much left.  Who knows?  They may even start with a semi-tired arm.

TCU's bullpen is deeper and fairly rested.  If we can just get the bats going, the odds are well in our favor.

froginmn

TCURiggs said:

Well, in fairness to the ump he called a clear strike a ball after that. However, he then called another questionable pitch a strike. Bottom line, this mother darner is all over the place. Traver's no call that led to two runs obviously pisses me off the most, though. Darn. After it's all said and done, if we don't play shippy defense early we're probably not witching about this zone as much.
Welcome to KF.C. You new around here?

SnoSki

PhormerPhrog said:
I went to this thing yesterday hoping to hear some BroCount but all the guy kept singing about was chickens, neighbors and such.

Haha. Less "bro" country and more "faux" country

purplepreacher

who told our hitters to take the first strike?  I seems that 90% of the time their pitcher threw a strike on the first pitch, and we stood there and took it.  maybe if we had swung we might have done better.  in the 9th Baker got a honey right dowh the middle on the first pitch.  He went 0-4.

FrogFrog

Frogfrog's good luck charm for Saturday:
13516618_10206759584450545_8901738816490992181_n.jpg

*for personal use only
**not intended for resale purposes
***Member FDIC
***Do not taunt Happy Funball

nwlafrog

purplepreacher said:
who told our hitters to take the first strike?  I seems that 90% of the time their pitcher threw a strike on the first pitch, and we stood there and took it.  maybe if we had swung we might have done better.  in the 9th Baker got a honey right dowh the middle on the first pitch.  He went 0-4.
It's a good rule of thumb to take until you receive a strike unless you have a runner(s) in scoring position. You want to wear down the starters pitch count and make him work for you. There are certain times that a green light should be given to the batter if the pitcher has consistently thrown first pitch fastballs for strikes though, but that unwritten rule is mainly for your longball hitters. All coaches have different philosophies on hitting approach. I like ours for the most part.

SnoSki

FrogFrog said:
Frogfrog's good luck charm for Saturday:
13516618_10206759584450545_8901738816490992181_n.jpg

*for personal use only
**not intended for resale purposes
***Member FDIC
(I'm going to get Banned if I do not EDIT this Immediately)Do not taunt Happy Funball
* * *Please call your doctor if you have any sports erections lasting longer than 4 hours as serious injury may occur.

MadFrog

Yesterday Wanhanen started over Landestoy because a left handed hitter is supposed to do better versus a right handed pitcher. Since, in reality, CW doesn't hit righties or lefties, why not play your better defensive player, Landestoy? Even if he does not get a hit either, we get a better defense and probably an out on a squeeze bunt yesterday instead of the rally lasting longer than it should have. Plus, I seem to recall a triple and an RBI from Landestoy 2 games ago. So, by playing Landestoy you get significantly better defense and at least a chance for a hit (versus no chance) once in a while. Plus, it looks to me like Landestoy wants to play. He has that look of fire and desire. I don't see the same in CW.

ThisIsOurTime

I expect to see a lot more focused TCU ball club tonight.  Yesterday's result should help in this respect.  But this game is for a chance to play in the Championship game and the team should be all kinds of fired up to play for that.  Fans need to be their usual loud and proud selves because the atmosphere will be electric.  

Now, if someone could retire the umpire cam from live play, all would be right with the world.

ThisIsOurTime

MadFrog said:
Yesterday Wanhanen started over Landestoy because a left handed hitter is supposed to do better versus a right handed pitcher. Since, in reality, CW doesn't hit righties or lefties, why not play your better defensive player, Landestoy? Even if he does not get a hit either, we get a better defense and probably an out on a squeeze bunt yesterday instead of the rally lasting longer than it should have. Plus, I seem to recall a triple and an RBI from Landestoy 2 games ago. So, by playing Landestoy you get significantly better defense and at least a chance for a hit (versus no chance) once in a while. Plus, it looks to me like Landestoy wants to play. He has that look of fire and desire. I don't see the same in CW.
I understand the sentiment and it may be the right decision to start Landestoy.  But I don't think you are being fair to Wanhanen.  It is true that Wanhanen is struggling hitting compared to last year but he worked all of his at bats and was squeezed several times by the umpire's expanding strike zone.  With the majority of umpires, he would have received a walk or two and/or had some better pitch counts.  He still is having trouble hitting the ball cleanly but to say he isn't putting in some work is incorrect.  Landestoy also has trouble with inside pitching at times so he is a bit of a hit or miss.  I am sure the sentiment is that wek now Wanhanen has the better bat and will sooner or later break out of his slump but it just hasn't happened yet.  

In terms of defensive play, I agree that Landestoy provides a bigger target and really gives his all in that respect.  But in terms of the play at home on the squeeze, I am not convinced Landestoy would have done any better.  Landestoy is not fleet of foot and not sure Wanhanen isn't faster.  The issue on that play was that Wanhanen looked hard at going home and there happened to be a fast base runner.  Not sure it would have been different with Landestoy.  It was a mistake but it was one with him trying to make a play.  We celebrate our team when they take the aggressive play and it works out so it doesn't make that much sense to crucify them when it doesn't.  The real problem was letting them get to the point where they could do a squeeze play in the first place.

To me the big mistakes were Watson's base running error getting picked off of 2nd base and some fielding mishaps by Merrill and one other player.  Mistakes happen but the base running error really annoyed me because it was an unforced error and took a runner out of scoring position.  

Looking to see a team that is a lot more focused tonight regardless of whether it is Wanhanen or Landestoy.  Both of them can play and are battling for the Frogs.  

Paint It Purple

Pharm Frog said:

Ump was pretty good early but I do think he got caught up in the moment and was aided in his zone expansion by somewhat anemic plate approaches in the middle innings.  What he did to K Steinhagen on an 8-pitch AB to end an inning and to Luken was borderline criminal.
If you saw the CCU vs Florida game, the ump did exactly the same the to Florida. Gave Beckwith huge advantage by never having to elevate the ball higher than mid-shin. Maybe that side arm fools the ump. Doubt it though, just think it was piss poor ump, not doing his job.

Paint It Purple

Pharm Frog said:

Not accurate. There are many biomechanical/pathology studies that document the stress level against the elbow in particular for sidearmers and submariners.  When you see photographic evidence of the torque against the elbow from a submariner and to a lesser extent the sidearmer, it is amazing. There seems to be some consensus that there's less stress to the shoulder however.  The metaphor to girls softball, while understandable, does not hold up.  The mechanics of a sidearmer/submariner are completely different from a women's softball pitcher.  This is most easily seen in the body positioning during the pitching motion (most notably the positioning of the back).  Simply put, the vast majority of submariners and sidearmers are relief pitchers who tend to throw more often but in far less quantity.  But they can't and shouldn't throw in quantity any more than a more traditional pitcher.
Agree. If you look closely at Beckwith's biomechanics, his arm, elbow, shoulder mechanics change little if any when he goes submarine. What changes is the angle/flexion at the hip.

Armadillo

I'd like to apologize to the Board for my excessive cursing* last night.  Thank God for the filters.  

*However, I con't promise it won't happen again.    :ph34r: