• The KillerFrogs

Coming from Oregon

Joe T's has a brunch menu and now takes checks...but probably no out-of-town checks. FWIW, the food absolutely sucks...and I mean Sucks with a capital ess. The margaritas aren't even that good but man are they strong. I once woke up at 6 AM on that little sliver of 23rd St. that runs along the north side of the property with puke all over the inside of the door of my truck and no foggy idea how or why I ended up there. The atmosphere is pretty good but watch out for the birds...I'm on my second hand on the number of times either my plate or I have been crapped on.

Endless Purple

QUOTE(StealthFrog @ Jun 5 2010, 05:24 PM) [snapback]569098[/snapback]
It sure seems like more Houstonians have a problem with Dallas than Dallasites have with Houston. Why is that?

probably along the same lines as why the some old money people tend to ignore the staff. Think they are better and as a result don't think. At least until they are sitting there and can't figure out why their magic toilet paper dispenser stopped refilling.

micahjh

QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Jun 5 2010, 06:17 PM) [snapback]569111[/snapback]
Joe T's has a brunch menu and now takes checks...but probably no out-of-town checks. FWIW, the food absolutely sucks...and I mean Sucks with a capital ess. The margaritas aren't even that good but man are they strong. I once woke up at 6 AM on that little sliver of 23rd St. that runs along the north side of the property with puke all over the inside of the door of my truck and no foggy idea how or why I ended up there. The atmosphere is pretty good but watch out for the birds...I'm on my second hand on the number of times either my plate or I have been crapped on.

BLASPHEMY!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
While in the Stockyards, ride the Tarantula.
While downtown, check out the Water Gardens.
While before/after the game, check out Caleum Moor next door in Glory Park.
:ph34r:

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Endless Purple @ Jun 5 2010, 06:36 PM) [snapback]569116[/snapback]
probably along the same lines as why the some old money people tend to ignore the staff. Think they are better and as a result don't think. At least until they are sitting there and can't figure out why their magic toilet paper dispenser stopped refilling.

As for this Houstonian, I lived 14 years in Dallas and I have lived 17 years in Houston. So it's based on actual experience.

Frogs1983

QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Jun 5 2010, 06:17 PM) [snapback]569111[/snapback]

Never been the same food wise since the old lady died IMO!

frogs9497

A. I can't understand why any TCU people would suggest that visitors stay in Dallas as opposed to FW. Why not suggest they tour the SMU campus too?

B. I can't understand why anyone would suggest chain restaurants. Perhaps this would be necessary for other cities, but definitely not FW.

C'mon man, show you've actually spent time in FW.

This thread sucks.

Virginia Frog

QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Jun 5 2010, 08:16 PM) [snapback]569131[/snapback]
Or you can follow the JKF trail of tears...

Or visit Lee Harvey Oswald's grave if you're a little bent.

Fort Worth, Rose Hill Memorial Park, 7301 E Lancaster Ave, SE side of town (Arlington side)

Limp Lizard

One thing about Tarrant County (where Ft. Worth is located), is although it has a population of over 1.5 million, is that it is easy to get around in, except for traditional rush hours. However the further east you go (towards Dallas), the worse the traffic gets. So don't count out a place because it look far on a map (especially going west).

Although I am a native Texan from North Central Texas, the cowboy thing has never been appealing to me. If that goes for you, there are many things that are in town that are wonderful, such as an excellent zoo, a museum district with some great art museums (expeciall the Kimbell, one of the top-rated small museums in the world).

Lots of good restaurants, not all of which are chain. Although for true old-style Tex-Mex, El Fenix on the far west side is something I would recommend. Most Tex-Mex in the area has become yuppie-fied, not like one would get in the 50's and 60's in the area. Ask for Mexican restaurants from 20 people and you may get 20 answers.

And you can always tour our campus, if you wish. It is about 20 miles from JerryWorld. Nice when you consider there are only 8,000-some students. It is about 4-5 miles from downtown and and very easy to get to.

Oh, and it will probably be very hot and humid (unless it is raining or a hurricaine is blowing through). Check out the forecast before you go. Dress appropriately and hydrate. By the way, even if it is raining, it will be a warm rain.

ftwfrog

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 5 2010, 04:03 PM) [snapback]569093[/snapback]
Why don't you just send him to Chili's and TGI Friday's?

Reminds me of when Michael Scott was in NYC and had some authentic new york style pizza. The camera panned up and he was standing at Sbarro.

QUOTE(frogs9497 @ Jun 6 2010, 06:40 AM) [snapback]569348[/snapback]
A. I can't understand why any TCU people would suggest that visitors stay in Dallas as opposed to FW. Why not suggest they tour the SMU campus too?

B. I can't understand why anyone would suggest chain restaurants. Perhaps this would be necessary for other cities, but definitely not FW.

C'mon man, show you've actually spent time in FW.
This thread sucks.

I haven't seen one person recommend staying in Dallas over FW. Are you sure you're reading the thread thoroughly?

Agree on the chain restaurants, though.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 5 2010, 01:44 PM) [snapback]569045[/snapback]
Give me Dallas over Houston any day. Houston is just L.A. in Texas. Dallas at least has uptown, better restaurants,

No disrespect meant, but this is one of the dumber things I've read on this board. Houston is probably 2nd to New York when it comes to restaurants.... that's one of the main things the city is known for.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(StealthFrog @ Jun 5 2010, 05:24 PM) [snapback]569098[/snapback]
It sure seems like more Houstonians have a problem with Dallas than Dallasites have with Houston. Why is that?

Because Dallas sucks and Houston is cool, therefore the Dallasites have nothing to have a problem with.

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 12:37 PM) [snapback]569499[/snapback]
No disrespect meant, but this is one of the dumber things I've read on this board. Houston is probably 2nd to New York when it comes to restaurants.... that's one of the main things the city is known for.

And every uptown establishment is HIGHLY overrated.

frogs9497

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 12:16 PM) [snapback]569489[/snapback]
I haven't seen one person recommend staying in Dallas over FW. Are you sure you're reading the thread thoroughly?

Agree on the chain restaurants, though.

I think you missed those posts... at least 2 thought Dallas was better for the 20 and 30 somethings.

pcf

QUOTE(Limp Lizard @ Jun 6 2010, 08:34 AM) [snapback]569389[/snapback]
One thing about Tarrant County (where Ft. Worth is located), is although it has a population of over 1.5 million, is that it is easy to get around in, except for traditional rush hours. However the further east you go (towards Dallas), the worse the traffic gets. So don't count out a place because it look far on a map (especially going west).

Although I am a native Texan from North Central Texas, the cowboy thing has never been appealing to me. If that goes for you, there are many things that are in town that are wonderful, such as an excellent zoo, a museum district with some great art museums (expeciall the Kimbell, one of the top-rated small museums in the world).

Lots of good restaurants, not all of which are chain. Although for true old-style Tex-Mex, El Fenix on the far west side is something I would recommend. Most Tex-Mex in the area has become yuppie-fied, not like one would get in the 50's and 60's in the area. Ask for Mexican restaurants from 20 people and you may get 20 answers.

And you can always tour our campus, if you wish. It is about 20 miles from JerryWorld. Nice when you consider there are only 8,000-some students. It is about 4-5 miles from downtown and and very easy to get to.

Oh, and it will probably be very hot and humid (unless it is raining or a hurricaine is blowing through). Check out the forecast before you go. Dress appropriately and hydrate. By the way, even if it is raining, it will be a warm rain.

OK, hole in the wall Mexican food. Arizola's on Jacksboro Hwy. Cheese enchilada dinner (ask for onions) with tea included for $6.75.

It has a lot of the attributes of Tex-Mex restaurants from when I was a kid. It is a converted fast food building. It is cheap. It has "you don't go there for the atmosphere" atmosphere. Anyone who has ever been on TV and gone in there has signed a menu to hang on the wall and they have Mama Arizola's picture everywhere.

El Paseo is a little fancier than Arizola's. Good lunch specials.

El Fenix is a Dallas restaurant chain.