• The KillerFrogs

Coming from Oregon

beaverdude

Really looking forward to the game. Just so you know, TCU has huge respect out here in Beaver country. Your early season ranking is well deserved.

You will see several thousand Beaver fans at the game. This game is a big deal out here and this is the out-of-towner that most people have on their calendar. I'm traveling with 10 people, 4 are just shy of sixty, and 6 are twenty somethings.

We are also going to the Cowboys/Dolphins game on Thursday night and taking a tour of the stadium on Friday morning.

I have three questions.

1. Best BBQ in the area?

2. Best steakhouse, we are looking for great food and fun atmosphere (no linen tablecloths)?

3. What things should we have on our to do list (places to go, things to do)"

None of us have spent much time in the Dallas area.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(beaverdude @ Jun 5 2010, 10:42 AM) [snapback]568986[/snapback]

I'll let others handle your specific questions, but....

hang out in Fort Worth, Dallas sucks

Shooter

QUOTE(beaverdude @ Jun 5 2010, 10:42 AM) [snapback]568986[/snapback]
Really looking forward to the game. Just so you know, TCU has huge respect out here in Beaver country. Your early season ranking is well deserved.

You will see several thousand Beaver fans at the game. This game is a big deal out here and this is the out-of-towner that most people have on their calendar. I'm traveling with 10 people, 4 are just shy of sixty, and 6 are twenty somethings.

We are also going to the Cowboys/Dolphins game on Thursday night and taking a tour of the stadium on Friday morning.

I have three questions.

1. Best BBQ in the area?

2. Best steakhouse, we are looking for great food and fun atmosphere (no linen tablecloths)?

3. What things should we have on our to do list (places to go, things to do)"

Welcome. I'll let the locals answer your questions, but rule one is TCU is damn well is not in Dallas. There's a world of difference between Fort Worth and Dallas as you'll soon learn. Houston Frog is correct, Dallas does suck.

Go to Sundance Square in downtown FW. Restaurants, bars, shops, movies.

Steak at Del Friscos also in downtown FW. Bring your high limit credit card, but worth it.

Silver Fox Steakhouse on University in FW is also good. Maybe a little less pricey.

Stay at The Sanford House in Arlington. 18 minute walk to stadium.

Frogenstein

If you want to see Texas stay in Fort Worth.
There is a daily cattle drive, world's largest honky tonk (Billy Bob's) which has an indoor bull riding arena, in fact the entire north side is what most visitors want to see when they come to Texas. Cattleman's Steakhouse sounds like what you are looking for in a steakhouse. (Del Frisco's and the Silver Fox are linen type tablecloth places while Cattleman's is an old fashioned steakhouse.) Angelo's and Railhead are both great BBQ joints. By the way, BBQ in Texas means beef not pork.
Another perk to Fort Worth is you will have much less traffic driving to Arlington for the game.

If you want to see Atlanta, stay in Dallas.
FYI: Dallas and Fort Worth are 40 miles apart with Arlington about half way between them. Not much to do in Arlington other than go to the game so I wouldn't stay there.

talor

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 5 2010, 10:47 AM) [snapback]568991[/snapback]
hang out in Fort Worth, Dallas sucks

This rationale is so stupid to me. You do realize that Dallas is exactly the same as Houston except in a different location, with less humidity, and a slightly different demographic.

Horny 4 Life

Welcome to the board and we hope you enjoy your time in the area, just not the game. Oh, and Dallas does suck.

Everybody has their own opinion about BBQ. You'll probably get the same number of different suggestions as you get replies to this thread. I'm partial to Riscky's, especially the one found in the Fort Worth Stockyards, I love the brisket and the beef ribs. The stockyards is a pretty cool area to spend an evening and there are great BBQ joints and steakhouses.

Del Frisco's and the Silver Fox are both good. I am a fan of Reata in Sundance Square. It's a pricey place, but the atmosphere is really nice.

I'm a fan of historical stuff, so I love the Stockyards area. Great food, great weekend atmosphere, you can feel the history. Go to Billy Bob's for a couple beers and hang out. Take in the live music and get in on some dancing.

I agree with Frogenstein on the steakhouse. It sounds like you're looking for a more Texan style steakhouse. And that would be Cattlemens. In the stockyards.

As for BBQ, go to Railhead in FW (somewhat near TCU). While you're there, drink an ice cold scooner of Shiner Bock for me. And pick yourself up a "Life is too short to live in Dallas" t-shirt.

If you haven't picked a hotel yet, look in downtown Fort Worth. Great nightlife, plenty to do, very safe. Downtown FW is 30 minutes from Jerry World.

Trelvis

You should have a good time, like others have said, stay in Ft. Worth.

I would also suggest skip the steak house and grab some Mexican food instead. Or, if you still want a steak, add in some mexican food at some point because I know it has to be difficult to get quality mexican food in Oregon.

Hit up Sundance Square for sure. There are many bars and places to eat in Downtown Ft. Worth.

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ Jun 5 2010, 03:58 PM) [snapback]568996[/snapback]
This rationale is so stupid to me. You do realize that Dallas is exactly the same as Houston except in a different location, with less humidity, and a slightly different demographic.

Houston sucks just a little bit more than Dallas.

talor

1. Best BBQ in the area? Gotta stay in FW for this one. Railhead, Angelos, maybe Riskys.

2. Best steakhouse, we are looking for great food and fun atmosphere (no linen tablecloths)? For food and atmosphere at a reasonable cost I really like Texas Land and Cattle (it is actually the baby brother of Del Friscos mentioned above) and located maybe a mile from the stadium in Arlington. Honestly there are 10 steak places in Dallas that I would recommend and several in FW as well. People will have their favorites but I doubt anything recommended here will be disappointing. Texas de Brazil is not a steakhouse technically but is worth considering.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ Jun 5 2010, 10:58 AM) [snapback]568996[/snapback]

Yes, it's a Brilesbag centric population :biggrin:

Shooter

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 5 2010, 11:09 AM) [snapback]569002[/snapback]
You should have a good time, like others have said, stay in Ft. Worth.

I would also suggest skip the steak house and grab some Mexican food instead. Or, if you still want a steak, add in some mexican food at some point because I know it has to be difficult to get quality mexican food in Oregon.

Hit up Sundance Square for sure. There are many bars and places to eat in Downtown Ft. Worth.

Wrong, wrong, wrong about Houston. Not even close.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Shooter @ Jun 5 2010, 12:40 PM) [snapback]569025[/snapback]
Wrong, wrong, wrong about Houston. Not even close.

I agree.

Houston sucks a LOT more than Dallas. :tongue:

Shooter

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 5 2010, 12:43 PM) [snapback]569026[/snapback]
I agree.

My damn yankee friend you are dead wrong. Dallas sucks and blows.:tongue:

Frogo

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 5 2010, 06:43 PM) [snapback]569026[/snapback]
I agree.

Houston's not bad--just spread out and humid.

Give me Dallas over Houston any day. Houston is just L.A. in Texas. Dallas at least has uptown, better restaurants, better light rail, and less humidity. Although Dallas probably has more $30,000 millionaires than Houston does - and that's a major negative.

They both suck.

JumpinFrog

if you are in your 50-60's go to Ft.worth

if you are in your 20-30's go to Dallas

if you like having a topless bar next to a church go to Houston.... :tongue:

steelfrog

Tier 1
There's an easy answer to all this. Oregonians should stay in Oregon unless they come humbly to Texas, acknowledge Texas' clear superiority over every other state in every way, and pledge undying fealty to the flag of the great state of Texas on their mother's grave.

JumpinFrog

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Jun 5 2010, 07:11 PM) [snapback]569052[/snapback]
There's an easy answer to all this. Oregonians should stay in Oregon unless they come humbly to Texas, acknowledge Texas' clear superiority over every other state in every way, and pledge undying fealty to the flag of the great state of Texas on their mother's grave.

-stay thirsty my friend