• The KillerFrogs

Coming from Oregon

QUOTE(Shooter @ Jun 5 2010, 12:51 PM) [snapback]569028[/snapback]
My damn yankee friend you are dead wrong. Dallas sucks and blows. :tongue:
You left out "...then gargles and swallows".

Zammers

Staying in Dallas or FW all depends on what you are looking for. I agree with the 50+ staying in FW and the 20-30 staying in Dallas. But the 20-30 can have fun in FW too.......just stay downtown. Sundance Square has a bunch of bars and restaurants and they are all within walking distance. Plus its safe. Dallas is more swanky and full of lounges. Dallas definitely has the better restaurants but you'll find waits and higher prices.

Steakhouses- Go to the white linen place......Del Frisco's in downtown FW (best steak ever). Plus it has a great bar.

BBQ- Railhead or Angelo's. If you choose Railhead you'll probably run into Frog fans who can point you in the right direction on what to do next.

Stockyards- One of those things you just have to say you did. Go to Billy Bob's or hit up some of the saloons.

No one has mentioned this restaurant, but its damn good and in the stockyards of FW.....Lonesome Dove

Hope this helps. FYI, I live in Dallas so my opinion is legit.

Frogs1983

QUOTE(Merch Frog @ Jun 5 2010, 11:08 AM) [snapback]569001[/snapback]
I agree with Frogenstein on the steakhouse. It sounds like you're looking for a more Texan style steakhouse. And that would be Cattlemens. In the stockyards.

As for BBQ, go to Railhead in FW (somewhat near TCU). While you're there, drink an ice cold scooner of Shiner Bock for me. And pick yourself up a "Life is too short to live in Dallas" t-shirt.

If you haven't picked a hotel yet, look in downtown Fort Worth. Great nightlife, plenty to do, very safe. Downtown FW is 30 minutes from Jerry World.

Stayed at the Omni last weekend.Top notch hotel!They have a Bob's by the way if looking for great steak.You can knock out the accomodations and steak equation right there,although I do like Cattlemen's as well.
Would suggest the new Cooper's Bar BQ in the Stockyards for tourists to visit,although I prefer Angelos myself whenever I can get to Fort Worth.

Frogs1983

QUOTE(Horned Eagle @ Jun 5 2010, 11:05 AM) [snapback]568998[/snapback]
Welcome to the board and we hope you enjoy your time in the area, just not the game. Oh, and Dallas does suck.

Everybody has their own opinion about BBQ. You'll probably get the same number of different suggestions as you get replies to this thread. I'm partial to Riscky's, especially the one found in the Fort Worth Stockyards, I love the brisket and the beef ribs. The stockyards is a pretty cool area to spend an evening and there are great BBQ joints and steakhouses.

Del Frisco's and the Silver Fox are both good. I am a fan of Reata in Sundance Square. It's a pricey place, but the atmosphere is really nice.

I'm a fan of historical stuff, so I love the Stockyards area. Great food, great weekend atmosphere, you can feel the history. Go to Billy Bob's for a couple beers and hang out. Take in the live music and get in on some dancing.

White Elephant Saloon brother!! :biggrin:

Endless Purple

Welcome Beaverdude. Hope you enjoy your trip. While I don't live there anymore, I have to agree with all the post on here that you need to go to Fort Worth.

As. a side note not to the original question: Houston and Dallas are nothing alike Dallas is a bunch of snobby New Yorker wannabes that aren't anywhere close to being like New York. Houston on the other hand does not even have one generic personality, but is a laid back city with a little bit for everyone. That is the drawback on Houston is that many go expecting to see "what is Houston" and it is a little bit of everything spread out over a large area.

PS. I'll take Houston and FW over Dallas. Both are much friendlier cities. I'm not much into the who has the bigger wallet than the other or the better social circles.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Endless Purple @ Jun 5 2010, 03:17 PM) [snapback]569068[/snapback]
Welcome Beaverdude. Hope you enjoy your trip. While I don't live there anymore, I have to agree with all the post on here that you need to go to Fort Worth.
As. a side note not to the original question: Houston and Dallas are nothing alike Dallas is a bunch of snobby New Yorker wannabes that aren't anywhere close to being like New York. Houston on the other hand does not even have one generic personality, but is a laid back city with a little bit for everyone. That is the drawback on Houston is that many go expecting to see "what is Houston" and it is a little bit of everything spread out over a large area.

PS. I'll take Houston and FW over Dallas. Both are much friendlier cities. I'm not much into the who has the bigger wallet than the other or the better social circles.

I agree. Dallas is very class conscious, with "old" money (by Texas standards), whereas in Houston, there's a huge amount of "new" money wealth and people of all classes party together. That's the main difference. Only thing Dallas has going for it is the best Mexican food in Texas IMO, which is significant, but it doesn't overcome the downside. Back to staying in Fort Worth, consider the Embassy Suite downtown Fort Worth. It's not your everyday ES, it was built in an old landmark Fort Worth hotel and is kind of funky for that brand. It is right by Sundance Square and all the downtown fun. Only twenty miles or so to Jerry World.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(TCUTalor @ Jun 5 2010, 10:58 AM) [snapback]568996[/snapback]
This rationale is so stupid to me. You do realize that Dallas is exactly the same as Houston except in a different location, with less humidity, and a slightly different demographic.

No it' s not. The people of Houston are proud to be Texans. Half the population in Dallas won't admit to be Texans. They are worlds apart in attitude.

QUOTE(Zammers @ Jun 5 2010, 02:44 PM) [snapback]569059[/snapback]
Staying in Dallas or FW all depends on what you are looking for. I agree with the 50+ staying in FW and the 20-30 staying in Dallas. But the 20-30 can have fun in FW too.......just stay downtown. Sundance Square has a bunch of bars and restaurants and they are all within walking distance. Plus its safe. Dallas is more swanky and full of lounges. Dallas definitely has the better restaurants but you'll find waits and higher prices.

Funny...I'll be 32 later this month...not married, no kids...and the only use I have for Dallas is the Granada Theater. We're actually moving next week from Las Colinas to FTW (about a mile from campus) because we're tired of Dallas County and enjoy FTW so much better. She works near downtown, me in LC, and it'll be well worth the drive just live away from this place that the LORD has shown no favor upon. As HoustonFrog said, it's Dueche Central. I can't tell you how much I hate living on this side of the metroplex. We only moved here b/c it's 2 miles from my office but it's time to get the hell outta hell. Most of our friends live in Dallas but we find ourselves in FTW more than we do Dallas.

I have to disagree with you on restaurants as well. No one overhypes food more than Dallasites. Last night we ate at Old Rip's after the game and I'll put that up against anything Dallas has to offer in the same price range and category, with the exception of Desperados...and Old Rip's probably isn't even in my top 15 for FTW.

FWIW, the best BBQ, IMHO, is Hard Eight in Coppell. I don't even like BBQ all that much but that place makes my pants go crazy.

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 5 2010, 03:35 PM) [snapback]569074[/snapback]
No it' s not. The people of Houston are proud to be Texans. Half the population in Dallas won't admit to be Texans. They are worlds apart in attitude.

Most of the population of Dallas aren't even Texans. They're all illegals...either of the aventurero variety or the carpetbagger ilk.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Frogenstein @ Jun 5 2010, 10:57 AM) [snapback]568995[/snapback]
If you want to see Texas stay in Fort Worth.
There is a daily cattle drive, world's largest honky tonk (Billy Bob's) which has an indoor bull riding arena, in fact the entire north side is what most visitors want to see when they come to Texas. Cattleman's Steakhouse sounds like what you are looking for in a steakhouse. (Del Frisco's and the Silver Fox are linen type tablecloth places while Cattleman's is an old fashioned steakhouse.) Angelo's and Railhead are both great BBQ joints. By the way, BBQ in Texas means beef not pork.
Another perk to Fort Worth is you will have much less traffic driving to Arlington for the game.

If you want to see Atlanta, stay in Dallas.
FYI: Dallas and Fort Worth are 40 miles apart with Arlington about half way between them. Not much to do in Arlington other than go to the game so I wouldn't stay there.

BBQ in Texas does mean beef, ribs being the notable exception.

Shooter

QUOTE(Endless Purple @ Jun 5 2010, 03:17 PM) [snapback]569068[/snapback]

Spot on post, very well said.

fanatical frog

The best steak in Texas is found at "Texas Roadhouse" (watch out for the peanut shells on the floor) with Saltgrass Steakhouse not far behind. You really should try some Mex while you're in the area and for that you might consider "Uncle Julio's ".
Del Frisco's is great steak but mighty pricie and kind of white tie. There's a reasonably nice hotel essentially in the parking lot of Ranger Stadium but I'm having trouble recalling the name....somebody could help me here but I think it is the Radisson. You could avoid the $40 parking fee. Otherwise, there are a couple of Marriott properties right on HW 360 just five minutes south of DFW and five miles or so north of the stadium.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(fanatical frog @ Jun 5 2010, 04:12 PM) [snapback]569089[/snapback]
The best steak in Texas is found at "Texas Roadhouse" (watch out for the peanut shells on the floor) with Saltgrass Steakhouse not far behind. You really should try some Mex while you're in the area and for that you might consider "Uncle Julio's ".
Del Frisco's is great steak but mighty pricie and kind of white tie. There's a reasonably nice hotel essentially in the parking lot of Ranger Stadium but I'm having trouble recalling the name....somebody could help me here but I think it is the Radisson. You could avoid the $40 parking fee. Otherwise, there are a couple of Marriott properties right on HW 360 just five minutes south of DFW and five miles or so north of the stadium.

These restaurant recommendations are all chains with locations from coast to coast. They are good restaurants, but all the earlier suggestions have more of a local flair and are just better IMO. I wouldn't want to give our Oregon guests a bum steer.

QUOTE(fanatical frog @ Jun 5 2010, 09:12 PM) [snapback]569089[/snapback]

Why don't you just send him to Chili's and TGI Friday's?

Other than the weather, that's the one thing I like about California over Texas. You don't find chain restaurants spread out all over the place out here. It takes me 20 minutes to drive to work and I pass Olive Garden and Chili's. That's it. If I make a 20 minute drive from my parents house in any direction, I'll pass 6-8 chains.

Texans value the chain too much. Support your local restaurants, dammit!

Just had to vent. :)

Speaking of local restaurants, the hot chef from Top Chef a couple years ago, Casey, is about to open a restaurant on 7th. Can't wait to check that (and her) out next time I'm in town.

StealthFrog

QUOTE(PhormerPhrog @ Jun 5 2010, 08:53 PM) [snapback]569084[/snapback]
Most of the population of Dallas aren't even Texans. They're all illegals...either of the aventurero variety or the carpetbagger ilk.

Most of the population in Houston are from asia or india with some Mexico mixed in.

It sure seems like more Houstonians have a problem with Dallas than Dallasites have with Houston. Why is that?

FrogAbroad

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 5 2010, 09:47 AM) [snapback]568991[/snapback]
I'll let others handle your specific questions, but....

hang out in Fort Worth, Dallas sucks

Yeah...what he said...

The "Best" anything is largely subjective, sort of like a man's choice of whiskeys and women. Here are a couple of mine...
  • BBQ -- I prefer Angelo's but it's not the only good place in town. I like the atmosphere (although it was better before they took out the sawdust) and the brisket is almighty good.
  • Tablecloth steaks -- Reata in downtown Fort Worth, or Cattlemen's in the Stockyards would be my choice. Generally I avoid linen tablecloths.
  • No tablecloth steaks -- The Star Cafe in the Stockyards. Their prime filet, medium rare, is generally fork tender. It's not the cheapest steak you'll ever find but it's worth the money. They also do great CFS and burgers.
  • Lots of choices -- Drive down West Magnolia Avenue just south of downtown Fort Worth. Beaucoups of good eateries...Egyptian, Mexican, Tex-Mex, burgers and great American fare at the Paris Coffee Shop.
  • Entertainment -- The "art area" over by the Will Rogers Complex has world-class galleries. A good collection at the Sid Richardson downtown. Museums all over, national cowboy and cowgirl halls of fame. A very nice zoo...outstanding botanical gardens.
  • Friendliness -- The origin of the word "Texas" is a Native American word that means "friends." Texans (the real ones) are outstandingly friendly if you'll give us a chance. And as Texas big cities go, I don't know of any that's friendlier than "Foat Wuth," pardner.

BABYFACE

For a good steak priced lower than Del Frisco's but better than a chain, try Lambert's off White Settlement, just off University.

Horned Toad

I am a life long Fort Worth resident and I love all (or most) Texas cities as they have something special about each of them. Houston and Fort Worth are most like each other in that their populations do love being Texans. Dallas has more of a southern metropolitan ambiance to it (hence the Atlanta comparison by the earlier poster) and I have always had a good time when I go over there. Fort Worth is where I live for a reason though because I am a proud Texan.

If I were a visitor to Fort Worth I would stay in just about any hotel in downtown in Sundance Square as you will be near restaurants and nightclubs that will appeal to everyone in your group. It's about a 20 minute drive to Cowboys Stadium. Some of the best restaurants are just outside of downtown.

Steakhouse - Cattlemen's is in the Stockyards just north of downtown about 2 miles away. Make a night of it and eat there, tour the Stockyards after dinner, and then go over to Billy Bob's. Sure its a tourist trap but it and the rest of the Stockyards are what most tourists expect when they come to Texas as another poster noted. Stop in at the White Elephant Saloon while your there for a cold one.

Mexican - I know you didn't ask about Mexican food but hey, you're in Texas and it sounds like you want to come for the experience as well as the food. About halfway to the Stockyards you'll pass Fort Worth's most famous Mexican food restaurant, Joe T. Garcias. I recommend you eat there. The line sometimes stretches around the block (I have never understood why as it must be the atmosphere) and it may not be the best Mexican food to the locals but it definitely is the most popular and be sure to sit out in the patio area. You have two choices for dinner, the Enchalada plate or fajitas. Get the Enchaladas. You need to eat here even if you skip the steakhouse. Cash only.

BBQ - I hate to have to correct Frogenstein, but BBQ in Texas means beef brisket and pork ribs. Just slightly northwest of downtown about 2 miles away is Angleo's BBQ. Probably the best sliced beef ever made and the pork ribs are excellent (this is old school Texas BBQ). It's nearly as famous for the old Fort Worth crowd as is Joe T's. Just as good BBQ can be found at Railhead about 3 miles west of downtown. It's a lot newer and more popular with a younger crowd and its pork ribs, chicken, and sliced brisket are all excellent. I eat at either one of these about 3 times a month.

The poster who said there is nothing to do in Arlington must have forgot about MLB and the Texas Rangers and just down the street from Cowboys Stadium, Lone Star Park (horse racing next town over in Grand Prarie), Hurricane Harbor water park, and Six Flags amusement park to name just a few of things you could do if you stay in Arlington.

Good luck to you guys for the rest of year after we beat you in Arlington.

Shooter

QUOTE(Horned Toad @ Jun 5 2010, 05:35 PM) [snapback]569102[/snapback]
I am a life long Fort Worth resident and I love all (or most) Texas cities as they have something special about each of them. Houston and Fort Worth are most like each other in that their populations do love being Texans. Dallas has more of a southern metropolitan ambiance to it (hence the Atlanta comparison by the earlier poster) and I have always had a good time when I go over there. Fort Worth is where I live for a reason though because I am a proud Texan.

If I were a visitor to Fort Worth I would stay in just about any hotel in downtown in Sundance Square as you will be near restaurants and nightclubs that will appeal to everyone in your group. It's about a 20 minute drive to Cowboys Stadium. Some of the best restaurants are just outside of downtown.

Steakhouse - Cattlemen's is in the Stockyards just north of downtown about 2 miles away. Make a night of it and eat there, tour the Stockyards after dinner, and then go over to Billy Bob's. Sure its a tourist trap but it and the rest of the Stockyards are what most tourists expect when they come to Texas as another poster noted. Stop in at the White Elephant Saloon while your there for a cold one.

Mexican - I know you didn't ask about Mexican food but hey, you're in Texas and it sounds like you want to come for the experience as well as the food. About halfway to the Stockyards you'll pass Fort Worth's most famous Mexican food restaurant, Joe T. Garcias. I recommend you eat there. The line sometimes stretches around the block (I have never understood why as it must be the atmosphere) and it may not be the best Mexican food to the locals but it definitely is the most popular and be sure to sit out in the patio area. You have two choices for dinner, the Enchalada plate or fajitas. Get the Enchaladas. You need to eat here even if you skip the steakhouse. Cash only.

BBQ - I hate to have to correct Frogenstein, but BBQ in Texas means beef brisket and pork ribs. Just slightly northwest of downtown about 2 miles away is Angleo's BBQ. Probably the best sliced beef ever made and the pork ribs are excellent (this is old school Texas BBQ). It's nearly as famous for the old Fort Worth crowd as is Joe T's. Just as good BBQ can be found at Railhead about 3 miles west of downtown. It's a lot newer and more popular with a younger crowd and its pork ribs, chicken, and sliced brisket are all excellent. I eat at either one of these about 3 times a month.

The poster who said there is nothing to do in Arlington must have forgot about MLB and the Texas Rangers and just down the street from Cowboys Stadium, Lone Star Park (horse racing next town over in Grand Prarie), Hurricane Harbor water park, and Six Flags amusement park to name just a few of things you could do if you stay in Arlington.

Good luck to you guys for the rest of year after we beat you in Arlington.

Horned Toad has 100% nailed it. Very sage advice. You can't go wrong with any of his suggestions.

monkeyfishfrog

My recommendations are a little fuzzy because they are from my college days at TCU... but here goes.

If you're looking for a steak, I recommend whataburger. Right down Berry street. Especially if you go real late at night, when they're selling taquitos. You can walk through the drive through if you have to. Do yourself a favor, prep for and wash it down with a couple cans of cool to lukewarm Keystone light. Always worked for me. Just FYI, the food quality seems to correlate closely with the amount of beverages you've had.

Once you've done that, walk up the street toward the bars, namely the Pub. Pop your head in there, get a pitcher of Shiner, and slam it. Walk back towards Fuzzy's - great laid back beer restaurant, if you're looking for one, and grab a "scooner" of Shiner. Slam that puppy. If you walk back towards campus, there's plenty of places to throw up on the grass if you need to (Shiner ain't for sissies if you're out of practice, which I'm sure you are not, being a good beaver).

If you're looking for some tacos, I'm not sure where to go. If you want some laaaadies, they're all over the place down there. Just be sure you bring some of Tito's own handmade vodka, product of the state of Texas, and you'll have their attention (it's gotten a bit pricey since we first discovered it, but worth it).